No announcement yet.

Got some new wheels.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another mention for the seat fit. I'm not sure if it is as important on a MTB as it is a road bike, but spend the $$ and go one step further and have a bike fit done. Seat location, height, handle bar angle, etc. all have a big effect on bike comfort. That was the one thing that made the biggest improvement in ride comfort when I was riding 10-20 miles a day.
    Originally posted by Leah
    Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Murph Tang View Post
      Been riding for years both MTB and road biking. A midlevel bike can provide just as much fun as an expensive bike. My Trek MTB is 10 years old, I've ridden it hard and I still run the trails on it.

Best thing I found is getting a proper fit seat. They are closed now but I went to Plano Cycling to have my seat points measured and got the perfect seat for my size butt. Makes a big difference.
      I'm with you. I have a 12 year old Trek 4300 hardtail and have ridden the hell out of it and it's been great. I bought it and put some money into beefing it up with upgrades pretty much everything minus the frame. Still cheaper than what is around these days and performs great still.

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
        It has been a while since I have looked at the Sirrus line of bikes. I may have found my match. The Expert pro Carbon something or other. May drop two and pick up one. Suspension in the stem, light weight, smoooshy tires, and dreamy carbon with a MTB riding position. I will be keeping my J bars and slapping them on there if I decide to pull the trigger. I am pissed Wahoo bought Speedplay and my precious Frogs are gone. Bastards are bringing stupid money on Ebay though.
        So, after a wait in line, then no stock on the Sirrus Carbon, they put one together for me. Maybe I need to go back to thinking about building a Titanium bike. That carbon bastard creaked and squeaked like it was busted. He pulled the seat tube and added more paste, hit the parking lot again and creak creak creak. I did find a Newsboy Titanium frame on Ebay for 950.00 made by Carver, that with a 14 speed Rolf hub might be delightful. I mean much better than 5000 for just the frame from Merlin. I jumped the gun again and my knee is sore again so kind of takes the fun out eyeballing bike shit. On a side note Surley makes some nice looking bikes.
        Whos your Daddy?

Comment

So, after a wait in line, then no stock on the Sirrus Carbon, they put one together for me. Maybe I need to go back to thinking about building a Titanium bike. That carbon bastard creaked and squeaked like it was busted. He pulled the seat tube and added more paste, hit the parking lot again and creak creak creak. I did find a Newsboy Titanium frame on Ebay for 950.00 made by Carver, that with a 14 speed Rolf hub might be delightful. I mean much better than 5000 for just the frame from Merlin. I jumped the gun again and my knee is sore again so kind of takes the fun out eyeballing bike shit. On a side note Surley makes some nice looking bikes.
          Sounds like you need to join me on the Ebike with all these geriatric issues you keep bringing up

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
            Sounds like you need to join me on the Ebike with all these geriatric issues you keep bringing up
            I have 100 percent thought about a E bike in a MTB bike. Kind of a cross between a dirt bike and not. My knee hasn't bothered me in yearsssssss. While it was still a tad aggravated I used it to jump in my monster truck the other day and I just keep riding on it. I am glad it is raining today, it was almost healed god dammit.

I think instead of selling a couple off and getting a middle of the road I just should have kept my Carbon bike when I wanted to do a "time trail" run. Shit after that bike test I may just buy a Salsa flat bar and slap a Surley bar on it. Save 1500 bucks! I do want a little bigger tire though. I never worry about flats with my 2.2 tire bikes but even a good 28-30 should fit the bill nicely.
            Whos your Daddy?

Comment

I rode half the Katy trail (Missouri which is long) 2 springs ago on a Specialized mountain bike. After that I got a Surly and enjoy the steel and my 2.8" wide tires. Whatever you do spend money on a saddle that works for you; this is one area you don't want to skimp. Also spend money on a good helmet. I watched a guy ride off the Coronado train in Irving and whack his head on the edge of the concrete trail one day. The helmet saved his life or at a minimum a massive head injury. The dude tried telling me he was fine, okay etc. I asked him to remove his helmet and look at it. He also lost an expensive pair of sunglasses, but they may have saved his eye socket some damage too. I followed him back to his apartment and hope he went to a doc like I suggested to check for a concussion.

We went on a group ride yesterday for a kids birthday party which was a lot of fun. All the kids decorated their bikes and got to ride. Some of the parents worked the intersections; it was about 2 miles since most of the kids are 4-8.

Another dad and I are going to get our kids up to about 10 miles and then go ride part of the Mineral Wells SP trail with them and have a nice stop for a picnic etc. With my bike setup I can carry a lot of gear on it easily.

I still have a carbon road bike, but I honestly don't care much about speed anymore, and I'm not in shape for that kind of riding either. I may get back there, but steel bikes with fat tires can move too if you are in great shape.

Comment

I have 100 percent thought about a E bike in a MTB bike. Kind of a cross between a dirt bike and not. My knee hasn't bothered me in yearsssssss. While it was still a tad aggravated I used it to jump in my monster truck the other day and I just keep riding on it. I am glad it is raining today, it was almost healed god dammit.

I think instead of selling a couple off and getting a middle of the road I just should have kept my Carbon bike when I wanted to do a "time trail" run. Shit after that bike test I may just buy a Salsa flat bar and slap a Surley bar on it. Save 1500 bucks! I do want a little bigger tire though. I never worry about flats with my 2.2 tire bikes but even a good 28-30 should fit the bill nicely.
                Man those higher end electric MTBs are awesome. Torque sensing and mid drive make you feel like you have robot legs.

My ebike is really just a cruiser that I use to pull the bike trailer or drive around where motors are illegal and im not trying to get exercise (race tracks, parks...etc). It's a blast but I can't throw it around like I can my 30lb mt bike.

Comment

Working...
                X