Fuel for the fire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
    Not just LSBS. We will be hitting any and all that we possibly can. We will start with some of the smaller ones, and work our way up. Eventually we will hit the big money events nationwide. That said, our team consists of 4 people. 2 in DFW and 2 in Austin area. So, it will be touch and go for the first couple months.

We haven't joined anything yet. Plenty of time to do so.
    Not to be a spoiler or anything, but according to the rules of LSBS you have to send in your membership packet and monies at least 3 months in advance before you are allowed to participate in any of their events.

Comment

Just to throw my .02 in, since no one else took the opportunity to spell it out for you...

"It does not matter what kind of wood you burn: as long as it is really, truly seasoned. In the case of hardwoods, especially oak, they must be seasoned for over one full year! That means last year's wood - NOT this years wood! If you're wondering about which wood is really the best, or what causes the least creosote to build up, the answer is the same! Properly seasoned wood produces the most heat, and produces the least creosote! "

"If you have trouble starting your fire, or if you have trouble keeping your fire going, you are probably using this years wood - which means that it's not seasoned. Unseasoned, or green wood, is extremely frustrating and disappointing. If wood is not properly seasoned it will be hard to light. It will keep going out. It will smolder. It won't put out heat. It just burns poorly and inefficiently. It is also the moisture in wood which causes creosote to build up at an accelerated rate. One fresh-cut cord of oak may contain enough water to nearly fill six, 55 gallon drums. The moisture content in the wood determines how much heat the fire puts out, and how much creosote will build up"

This site is for use in fireplaces (first hit on google), but will give you enough info to get your feet wet on. You should be able to pick up on a few properties of different types of woods and the importance of "seasoned" wood. From there, find a site that gives you a little more info on the actual smoke produced.

Good luck, and I'll throw down a $20 and the sweet tea to sit at the judge's table

Comment

Originally posted by hotrod66stang View Post
        Just to throw my .02 in, since no one else took the opportunity to spell it out for you...

"It does not matter what kind of wood you burn: as long as it is really, truly seasoned. In the case of hardwoods, especially oak, they must be seasoned for over one full year! That means last year's wood - NOT this years wood! If you're wondering about which wood is really the best, or what causes the least creosote to build up, the answer is the same! Properly seasoned wood produces the most heat, and produces the least creosote! "

"If you have trouble starting your fire, or if you have trouble keeping your fire going, you are probably using this years wood - which means that it's not seasoned. Unseasoned, or green wood, is extremely frustrating and disappointing. If wood is not properly seasoned it will be hard to light. It will keep going out. It will smolder. It won't put out heat. It just burns poorly and inefficiently. It is also the moisture in wood which causes creosote to build up at an accelerated rate. One fresh-cut cord of oak may contain enough water to nearly fill six, 55 gallon drums. The moisture content in the wood determines how much heat the fire puts out, and how much creosote will build up"

This site is for use in fireplaces (first hit on google), but will give you enough info to get your feet wet on. You should be able to pick up on a few properties of different types of woods and the importance of "seasoned" wood. From there, find a site that gives you a little more info on the actual smoke produced.

Good luck, and I'll throw down a $20 and the sweet tea to sit at the judge's table

Get out of here with those facts! His $1000 rinky dink smoker means he knows it all! How dare you point out that he's doing it wrong?!?!

Ceyko - I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little worried about that. My way is proven, my way gets people talking, and my way has brought me some catering business. But that doesn't mean my way will translate tool the judge's tastes. It's a hobby, so I'm doing it for the fun, and good times with friends. But I want to get the name out there and grow the catering, and eventually a BBQ joint perhaps. Hopefully this will give Matt and I a foundation to launch some other restaurant ideas we have. We will see how it goes though.

LS - I'm aware. Like i said, we have plenty of time.
        Originally posted by BradM
        But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
        Originally posted by Leah
        In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
          Ceyko - I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little worried about that. My way is proven, my way gets people talking, and my way has brought me some catering business. But that doesn't mean my way will translate tool the judge's tastes. It's a hobby, so I'm doing it for the fun, and good times with friends. But I want to get the name out there and grow the catering, and eventually a BBQ joint perhaps. Hopefully this will give Matt and I a foundation to launch some other restaurant ideas we have. We will see how it goes though.
          Ah! I did not realize you wanted to make a business out of it. That's a hell of a way to do it then.

heh, I relate it with when I wanted to be a mechanic. It was fun in the backyard, it was fun in school - but doing that shit for work was not fun. However, there are numerous smokehouses/bbq places that do it and do it WELL. KDs in Midland is an example, some no name gas station between here and midland is another. (That's an interesting one. An old man has like 9 smokers out there made from different things and he just smokes cigarettes and smokes food to sell along with gas. Place gets packed.)

Good luck man!

Take care
          Originally posted by MR EDD
          U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Working...
          X