Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help - Network Shared Drive need to be able to ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help - Network Shared Drive need to be able to ...

I have spent the last two days web surfing and trying various programs - I need to be able to "folder protect" or "drive protect" my network attached drives ...

Anyone have a program or site for directions that work?

I run systems from XP to 7 - would hope once folder or drive is password protected - I would be good to go????
    sigpic
    08 Mustang GT - NOT Stock ..... HPP Flex fuel tunes - 537/515 RWHP/RWT

Click for Little Elm, Texas Forecast

Can't you do this w/ Group Policy Editor?

Comment

?

That is way over my head - do you have a link to a tutorial?
      sigpic

Comment

Workgroup or domain?

In otherwords, home or corporate?

Comment

As a cookie, your solution is going to be with seting the folder permissions do only certain user accounts have rights to the share

Comment

Home - using XP, vista and window 7

U looked at the folderc click properties ....

Also, fhe folders are on network drives that are accessable to all the computers. One program I tried said those drives folders have no root??
            sigpic

Comment

Where are they being shared from?

Go to the pc or nas thats sharing them and check the security settings.

If yo are goimg to the folr, you are one step too deep. Need to set security on the share itself.

If you are connecting to c$ share then you've gota create a new share as thats an adminiatrative share that cant (shouldnt) be adjusted.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedi View Post
                Where are they being shared from?

Go to the pc or nas thats sharing them and check the security settings.

If yo are goimg to the folr, you are one step too deep. Need to set security on the share itself.

If you are connecting to c$ share then you've gota create a new share as thats an adminiatrative share that cant (shouldnt) be adjusted.
                Thanks for the help - I was going to the folder - so now when I go to the NAS drive (they show up under my network folder in my explorer) and click on properties, the security TAB - I'm not sure what to do there - I do not see anything about password protecting.
                sigpic

Comment

You wont see anything about password protection byitself.

You have to create/assign users and passwords within the nas and then allocate which users have permision to the object. You may be able, depending on the nas, to assign folder permissions in the same way.

Start with finding out how to create a user on the nas
                  Then, find the folder/share thar you want to protect and only mark your user as read/write.
                  Either remove everyone else or deny them rights.

Whereever you make that change will limit the entire tree below, so choose your modification point carefully.

Comment

Working...
                  X