Removing Old Carpet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing Old Carpet

Plan on removing the carpet from my bedrooms to replace with something else. The house is about 7 years old and built on a slab foundation. I've ripped out carpet from older homes with wood floors that use tack strips and staples. How is the padding and carpet installed on slab floors? Can't imagine it being installed with tack strips and staples. I'm guessing glue? If so how hard is it to remove? Have 3 bedrooms I need to do and plan on starting soon.

and glue

Comment

I think for the most part on concrete in a residential setting it's simply laid on the floor and the carpet is tacked around the edges with strips.

This way, when the carpet stretches out in a few years, you can have someone come in and tighten it up.

In the commercial world that crap is glued down with Lucifer's spit.
      G'Day Mate

Comment

Originally posted by Grimpala View Post
        I think for the most part on concrete in a residential setting it's simply laid on the floor and the carpet is tacked around the edges with strips.

This way, when the carpet stretches out in a few years, you can have someone come in and tighten it up.

Also in 5 years you can feel those little fucking nails on the bottom of your feet!

Comment

Originally posted by Grimpala View Post

this gent nailed it! nothing to it.

god bless.
          It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

I thought that the padding would be glued down and the carpet held on by tack strips. I'll be finding out within the next few days.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike69 View Post
              I thought that the padding would be glued down and the carpet held on by tack strips. I'll be finding out within the next few days.
              Correct. But, how much glue is the question. Probably a swirl here and there.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike69 View Post
                Mine had glue on the seems of the padding and tact strips nailed to the cement around the edges. Crow bar with a flat side to hit with a hammer and the nails for the tact strips pop right out of the cement.

Comment

I've never been able to get tack strips nailed down into concrete.
                  "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                    The one I had to fix, I had to drill holes into the concrete and use anchors for the screws.

Comment

I installed carpet for a few years. Setting strip in concret is just short of wizardry. You only get one hit on it and it has to be just right. At my best i could get maybe 3/5 nails to hold.

That being said you can glue the strips in place. And the bad SHOULD be held around the edges by a glue, and it shouldnt be your everyday pad. Should be a denser pad with a moisture membrane on the back of if. Expensive too!

Comment

Thanks fellas. I'm going to start on it this weekend and see how it goes. New flooring will be going down.

Comment

My ramset gun has no problem putting nails in cement. Choosing the right load is a little tricky.

Comment

As someone mentioned you can drill it. When I was installing it in Florida a lot of the older homes had terrazzo and that was your only option.

The secret is to hit it with as few strikes as possible ie 1 or 2.

For an amateur glue for the pad is probably recommended. The glue is really only there so when you lay and adjust carpet it holds still.

You really only want a few swirls about as wide as your finger on concrete.

If there is strip down already don't replace it, unless it is bad.

The stables were used on the wood because as you would stretch it, it could lift from wood flooring. The staples were basically just there to reinforce. Some installers go stupid and put 200 staples on a 9 foot wall.
                            Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
                            Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

I tried a few times to get them nailed down, but ended up drilling and putting a wooden dowl in to nail to. I also put a touch of glue on it to make sure it stayed in place as it was a high traffic area.
                              "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Working...
                              X