Got a Super 1050

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got a Super 1050

I've had a 650 for a while now but always wanted a 1050... now that I've got my SV Open gun and shoot more plus I'm trying to get in at DPC to practice a few times a week once I saw a deal on a 1050 I had to jump on it.

I traded my XL650 with strong mount, tools, roller handle, bullet tray, 4 toolheads, 1 powder measure, setup for .223 but no dies and $500 and we each kept our own case feeders. In return I got a 1050 setup for .223 (38 SuperComp uses the .223 shell plate) and a second tool head.

The only thing I NEEDED to buy to get it running for .38SC is the green case feed adapter to feed the empty cases into the shell plate. I went ahead and ordered that as well as a bullet tray which I will use until I get a Mr. Bullet feeder as well as a new set of tools for it. I still need to get the .223 tool head setup as well and eventually order another plus a conversion for .40 since that's all I'm missing.

Originally posted by stevo
    Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Badass setup man.
    Originally posted by PGreenCobra
    I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
    Originally posted by Trip McNeely
    Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
    dont downshift!!
    Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

Nice man. You might regret kicking that 650 to the curb after you do a few caliber changes in the 1050, though. They are kind of a bitch to do caliber changes on, especially if you're using a bullet feeder.
      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
        Nice man. You might regret kicking that 650 to the curb after you do a few caliber changes in the 1050, though. They are kind of a bitch to do caliber changes on, especially if you're using a bullet feeder.
        Maybe... but since my primary 2 calibers are 38SC and .223 and they share the same shell plate it's really just a toolhead swap which I can do in about 5 minutes. The other is .40 and I still need to buy a conversion and toolhead for it but I really don't shoot it that often. Once I get the press setup for it I'll just load 1-2k rounds of it then not worry about it. One day I might get another 650 just to have it, especially if I need to start another caliber.

I do plan to get a bullet feeder, but might only worry about using it for 38SC to start with as that is what I shoot by far the most.

Stevo

Comment

I'm a little jealous., but I've only known 1 person with a 1050 before and it require constant tweaking and tuning to keep running. When it worked it was a beast of a machine, but my 650 didn't require near the maintenance that the 1050 did to keep pumping out ammo.
          It happens to be a well thought out and reasoned dissertation on drug use and a lyrical cost/benefit analysis of various kinds of drugs, drawing the conclusion that beer is the best of them all.

Comment

Originally posted by jtm98snake View Post
            I'm a little jealous., but I've only known 1 person with a 1050 before and it require constant tweaking and tuning to keep running. When it worked it was a beast of a machine, but my 650 didn't require near the maintenance that the 1050 did to keep pumping out ammo.
            That's odd, I know multiple people with 1050's, most automated, and none of them have any issues and all load over 20-40k rounds per year on them.

Stevo

Comment

Are you a member at DPC?

I shoot a lot but not enough to require a setup like that. From what I've heard it is a serious piece of hardware.
              Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
                Are you a member at DPC?

I shoot a lot but not enough to require a setup like that. From what I've heard it is a serious piece of hardware.
                I'm not yet but have many friends that are... I sent in the application and I'm just waiting on them to finish all their renewals before they look at new members. Hopefully I will be in the next month or so. I shoot pretty much every weekend and once I get my membership there I'll shoot even more during the week to practice for matches. I think I shot around 7-10k rounds last year and it will only go up from there I'm sure.

Stevo

Comment

I've been a member at DPC for many years. Normally I'm there just before sunup waiting for the dawn a couple of mornings every week. I'll shoot for about 10 minutes and then go to work
                  Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by bird_dog0347 View Post
                    Maybe... but since my primary 2 calibers are 38SC and .223 and they share the same shell plate it's really just a toolhead swap which I can do in about 5 minutes. The other is .40 and I still need to buy a conversion and toolhead for it but I really don't shoot it that often. Once I get the press setup for it I'll just load 1-2k rounds of it then not worry about it. One day I might get another 650 just to have it, especially if I need to start another caliber.

I do plan to get a bullet feeder, but might only worry about using it for 38SC to start with as that is what I shoot by far the most.
                    Well hell, in that case it's a no-brainer. That should be relatively easy to do.
                    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by jtm98snake View Post
                      Reloading machines are a fickle bitch. The main reason I like the 1050 over the 650 is the action, the stage never moves so case wobble isn't a problem on rifle cartridges. The second reason is the primer swaging. These are fundamental differences the 650 just cannot replicate. I've run all of dillon's machines now, and I do see a use for each of them. I think the 550 is the best machine for someone who reloads a lot of different calibers. I miss that machine the most and wish I did not sell mine. The caliber changes are quick and the machine is speedy. The 650 is a trade off between pita and volume. It's adequate for high volume, but it's woefully slow for caliber changes. If you're a heavy volume shooter and it's a relatively small amount of calibers I would recommend a 1050. With a bullet feeder and autoloader they are pretty awesome, but those are almost exclusively one caliber machines. You will quickly learn the amount of tuning you have to do for 100% reliability on an auto loader means you won't be switching cartridges. A lot of people do not appreciate or understand that 99.9% reliability means it's jamming every 10 minutes with an autoloader. Getting that last .1% is a motherfucker. Even with all my machines, the one I use the most often is my single stage.
                      Last edited by CJ; 04-13-2018, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                        Reloading machines are a fickle bitch. The main reason I like the 1050 over the 650 is the action, the stage never moves so case wobble isn't a problem on rifle cartridges. The second reason is the primer swaging. These are fundamental differences the 650 just cannot replicate. I've run all of dillon's machines now, and I do see a use for each of them. I think the 550 is the best machine for someone who reloads a lot of different calibers. I miss that machine the most and wish I did not sell mine. The caliber changes are quick and the machine is speedy. The 650 is a trade off between pita and volume. It's adequate for high volume, but it's woefully slow for caliber changes. If you're a heavy volume shooter and it's a relatively small amount of calibers I would recommend a 1050. With a bullet feeder and autoloader they are pretty awesome, but those are almost exclusively one caliber machines. You will quickly learn the amount of tuning you have to do for 100% reliability on an auto loader means you won't be switching cartridges. Even with all my machines, the one I use the most often is my single stage.
                        All this... except I don't think the 650 is hard to convert at all as long as you're not changing between large/small primers. Especially if you get the quick change kits like I did. Sure it basically doubles your cost but you have it all setup and ready to go. I could change calibers on my 650 from .40 to 38SC in under 10 minutes when I was going slow. Maybe I'll do a video tomorrow showing how long it takes to convert from .223 to 38SC on the 1050, it's very quick.

Now when you have an automated press it certainly takes more time to convert and most guys I know with one don't change it often and they load a ton of single calibers.

Stevo

Comment

All this... except I don't think the 650 is hard to convert at all as long as you're not changing between large/small primers. Especially if you get the quick change kits like I did. Sure it basically doubles your cost but you have it all setup and ready to go. I could change calibers on my 650 from .40 to 38SC in under 10 minutes when I was going slow. Maybe I'll do a video tomorrow showing how long it takes to convert from .223 to 38SC on the 1050, it's very quick.

Now when you have an automated press it certainly takes more time to convert and most guys I know with one don't change it often and they load a ton of single calibers.
                          Yes the primer disc is what turns it into a bitch. Also the powder slide. I find myself making that swap every time. The main problem is the entire primer assembly rides through the discs. There are better designs on other machines.
                          Last edited by CJ; 04-13-2018, 04:45 PM.

Comment

quick change... dedicated powder measures per caliber, no bar swapping.

Stevo

Comment

quick change... dedicated powder measures per caliber, no bar swapping.
                              I have different powder dispensers as well, but they're tuned to certain charges for certain calibers. I have one on my .223, 9mm, and 45. I also shoot like 10 different calibers regularly. I have a ridiculous amount tied up in reloading equipment, casting, bullet swaging, measurement tools, etc. . I'm at a point where I'm not willing to throw any more at it.

Needless to say. If you ever hear about me kicking the bucket, you might want to talk to my wife. She will be selling components and equipment for years.
                              Last edited by CJ; 04-13-2018, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X