3d Printers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3d Printers

Anyone here have any experience with 3d Printers?

I was thinking about designing and 3d printing custom intakes and valve covers and etc for fun and what not but I cannot find a printer large enough to do it.

Anyone here know a good resource for a large DIY setup or something?
    1971 Ford Torino - Time to go bigger and better.

2011 F150 Limited - Stock with a 6.2

It's way more trouble than it's worth. They will look like crap unless you spend a lot of time smoothing the surface since an FDM printer is the only type that will fit your range.

I recommend doing it through a print service once and seeing if you think it's worth the trouble. That print a line will still be several hundred if not more.

Comment

I'm not super concerned with looks.

Are there not DIY printers for several hundo?

Comment

I've been looking at the creality cr-10 to play with. It comes mostly assembled and is under 500. It gets pretty decent reviews. I just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Comment

That build volume is a bit smaller than what I need. I would need something closer to 700mm^3, unless I want to build in sections and then glue/bolt the pieces together which is less than ideal.

Comment

Originally posted by Torinoman View Post
            Anyone here have any experience with 3d Printers?

I was thinking about designing and 3d printing custom intakes and valve covers and etc for fun and what not but I cannot find a printer large enough to do it.

Anyone here know a good resource for a large DIY setup or something?
            A valve cover sized print is more the cheap DIY printer. Do a google for a local shop and go talk um. You wont like the answers for this project but you'll get the honest answer

Comment

lol

Comment

I have a 3D printed R/C airplane. It’s printed in printer sized sections and glued together. The minimum print and software investment to do that is about $1k. And then the material is really sensitive to high temperatures. I doubt 3D printing engine parts is even close to affordable, currently. It may be very soon though.

Comment

I'm not super concerned with looks.

Are there not DIY printers for several hundo?
                  Yeah but with those pieces of trash, most of your time will be spent trying to get the printer to work. You will have build failures repeatedly and it'll end up being a huge paper weight.

Do you already have a CAD program and 3D modeling experience?

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonyS View Post
                    I have a 3D printed R/C airplane. It’s printed in printer sized sections and glued together. The minimum print and software investment to do that is about $1k. And then the material is really sensitive to high temperatures. I doubt 3D printing engine parts is even close to affordable, currently. It may be very soon though.
                    this.

Are you wanting to 3d print plugs for casting, or actual engine parts? PLA plastic is used in printers won't like engine heat, gas, and oil. I'm not sure what ABS would do. Either way, I'm thinking you'll have a hard time printing engine parts with todays tech.

Comment

I'm going to use a 3D printer to make other 3D printers so it pays for itself.

Comment

Originally posted by yellowstang View Post
                        i'm going to use a 3d printer to make other 3d printers so it pays for itself.
                        profit!

Comment

From what I understand factory plastic intakes are made of Nylon 6/6 and you can get nylon 6/6 as a filament for 3d printers. Just thought it might be fun to dick around with in free time

Comment

From what I understand factory plastic intakes are made of Nylon 6/6 and you can get nylon 6/6 as a filament for 3d printers. Just thought it might be fun to dick around with in free time
                            Just promise you wont literally dick around with one.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X