DFW Mustangs    

Go Back   DFW Mustangs > General > God and Country

God and Country Politics and Religion

Old 02-28-2014, 09:14 AM   #21
46Tbird
Yip Yip Yip

I have no problem with either side of the equation.

Tesla wants to sell cars without a dealer network, fine.

Texas not allowing new car sales outside of dealer networks, also fine.

Let market forces determine the winner. Isn't that how it should work?

Personally I would be hesitant to buy anything as complex as a fucking first-gen electric car without a well-defined, well-trained service network widely available. The lack of a dealer network automatically keeps me away from Tesla, as does the fact I've seen as many on the side of the road as I have driving. Cool cars nonetheless.
46Tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 01:15 PM   #22
IHaveAMustang
RIP DFWstangs.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Tbird View Post
I have no problem with either side of the equation.

Tesla wants to sell cars without a dealer network, fine.

Texas not allowing new car sales outside of dealer networks, also fine.

Let market forces determine the winner. Isn't that how it should work?

Personally I would be hesitant to buy anything as complex as a fucking first-gen electric car without a well-defined, well-trained service network widely available. The lack of a dealer network automatically keeps me away from Tesla, as does the fact I've seen as many on the side of the road as I have driving. Cool cars nonetheless.
It's odd, I see about 4 - 5 on a daily basis (2 in Keller, 2 in Coppell, 1 in Southlake) and I have never seen them on the side of the road.

Maybe they just got later production ones?

Personally I would love one. I commute 50 miles a day, I could easily do that on the range of even the smallest KWH model.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:42 PM   #23
Moose242
Cruisin' USA

Kill all the dealer networks and the jobs they support, but gain questionably sound electric cars and less than 1% of those jobs back.

Sounds legit.
Moose242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 02:47 PM   #24
CJ
User is editing post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOHCTR View Post
Kill all the dealer networks and the jobs they support, but gain questionably sound electric cars and less than 1% of those jobs back.

Sounds legit.
Cars that have a huge fucking government subsidy.
Old 02-28-2014, 03:15 PM   #25
TexasT
legend in my own mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw33 View Post
They should sell their cars on Amazon.

Can someone explain why vehicle manufactures are required to sell their products through a dealership and how that benifits the consumer?
I'm for a dealer network, just throwing that out first.
The last thing I'd want to wrastle with is a lemon electric tesla. Who is going to work on them. I still haven't figured out how walmart, Lowe's, home depot at all sell so many lawn tractors and such and who fixes all that stuff. I'm sure there is a place(ok, I know there is) but without a place to take it when broken, where does your mother, sister, guy who isn't a mechanic get the thing worked on. Who does warranty work? Where you gonna buy parts if you are gonna work on it?

That said I fix my own. I haven't bought new in this decade. Too much depreciation for me as I'm not a dfwm baller like most of yall. Though I do like to have a dealer to collect the sales tax and such. And pay plenty of employees and have them pay income tax.

Shiftin the paradigm is hard work.

TexasT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 03:20 PM   #26
Ruffdaddy
Lifer

Why so much misinformation about what explodes, where, when and how. And what the fuck is wrong with everyone acting like these cars are dying left and right?
Ruffdaddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 03:22 PM   #27
Trip McNeely
DRILL BABY, DRILL!!!

I agree with what Danny said, I also don't understand the whole marketing of a "Green" Electric car when they plug into the grid which is run by 70% Fossil Fuels. Seems kind of ridiculous as well that they cost so much that a frugal person who is worried about Efficiency would worry about it. My .02
Trip McNeely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 03:37 PM   #28
Ruffdaddy
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip McNeely View Post
I agree with what Danny said, I also don't understand the whole marketing of a "Green" Electric car when they plug into the grid which is run by 70% Fossil Fuels. Seems kind of ridiculous as well that they cost so much that a frugal person who is worried about Efficiency would worry about it. My .02
Electric motors are much more efficient, electricity is recoverable under braking, electricity doesn't have to be a burned fuel. There are a lot of reasons electricity CAN be green.
Old 02-28-2014, 03:41 PM   #29
BP
infidel

Quote:
Figuring an average driver in an average sedan that gets 35mpg and drives 15k miles a year, paying $3.15 per gallon vs the same conditions in a Model S at ll cents a KW you are paying roughly 1/3 the amount for fuel to travel the same distance.

Granted there are lots of variables both ways. I mean you have engine maintenance on the regular car but you also have battery replacement on the Tesla. You'll pay a premium for electricity on the road and there is a matter of waiting for it to charge. But that 35mpg sedan probably doesn't go from 0-60 in 4.2 seconds and run a 12.6 1/4 mile either.
BP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 03:42 PM   #30
Trip McNeely
DRILL BABY, DRILL!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
Electric motors are much more efficient, electricity is recoverable under braking, electricity doesn't have to be a burned fuel. There are a lot of reasons electricity CAN be green.
How often do these cars require a charging? From what I understand it is quite frequent. Also since these cars are $70k+, are they really that efficient in the long run? Seems like a fad they are trying to capture more than a real cause.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:04 PM   #31
Ruffdaddy
Lifer

Price has nothing to do with emissions or green power.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:16 PM   #32
BP
infidel

Quote:
How often do these cars require a charging? From what I understand it is quite frequent. Also since these cars are $70k+, are they really that efficient in the long run? Seems like a fad they are trying to capture more than a real cause.
It depends on how and how far you drive. The bigger battery goes about 300 miles and will recharge fully overnight. Most people that commute can get away with charging it every few days. They also have stations setup that can swap the battery in under 5 minutes for a full one and there are other charging stations that can charge it completely in 2 hours.

For their target market, say hipster Austin it works out well. You can commute from there to Houston and swap batteries and come back, or you can park it at their service facility and get a complete charge while you have lunch or go shopping. Park it at the airport and charge, park it at the zoo, most hotels, many theme parks, etc....
BP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 04:17 PM   #33
Nash B.
Lifer

Quote:
Price has nothing to do with emissions or green power.
There's also cost efficiency. And it's going to be hard to beat a $1500 Geo Prizm.
Nash B. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 04:36 PM   #34
Ruffdaddy
Lifer

I'm strictly talking about the green movement that YOU brought up. Focus son!!!!11!!1
Old 02-28-2014, 04:36 PM   #35
Broncojohnny
Lifer

I am here to tell you that Elon Musk has his shit together. So much so that he has the backing of a lot of influential people. His goal with the new factory is a much cheaper battery and a $35K car that can go 200 miles on a single charge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by racrguy View Post
Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.
Broncojohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 04:43 PM   #36
CJ
User is editing post

I'm all for that!
Old 02-28-2014, 04:46 PM   #37
Trip McNeely
DRILL BABY, DRILL!!!

Quote:
I'm strictly talking about the green movement that YOU brought up. Focus son!!!!11!!1
It's both really. Most of these greenies complain that gas is so high, well there is a correlation. If gas is so high, driving one of these, gas would seem really low after the initial cost of ownership.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:34 PM   #38
Forever_frost
Bullet Sponge

As these become more popular, fuel tax revenue will continue to drop and thus, we are about to get a higher gas tax, more road usage fees and more toll roads.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:40 PM   #39
mstng86
MEAT HOARDER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever_frost View Post
As these become more popular, fuel tax revenue will continue to drop and thus, we are about to get a higher gas tax, more road usage fees and more toll roads.
You always paint pretty pictures.
mstng86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:57 PM   #40
svauto-erotic855
I know everything, I'm older than you
VIP Member

Quote:

My back ground is automotive engineering and I say that you are beyond brain dead if you believe any of the crap that you just posted.

Tags
get off my lawn!