Replacing a lock on a gun safe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6730 install

Cutting the spindle to length and securing the relocker to the bracket are the most critical, and not closing the door at a bad time.
    Just dbl check everything before closing the door.

225.00 isn't bad, in DFW it would be about 250.00 and up.
    Last edited by loc712; 08-26-2011, 09:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 03trubluGT View Post
      Same here. Between guns and Nikon gear, I don't have any more room and my safe is 6' tall and 40" wide by 30" deep.

To the OP, my safe is 10 years old, and the electronic S&G lock works just like it did when I bought it. I picked up my safe on 9/9/2001, just two days before the terrorist attacks.
      Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
      wanna trade up?

i just bought a browning gold off of ar15.com for $1000 built in 06 they pop up on occasion but seem to be a hard sell because of weight

it was 60"x40"x28"

Comment

Originally posted by loc712 View Post
        Cutting the spindle to length and securing the relocker to the bracket are the most critical, and not closing the door at a bad time.
        Just dbl check everything before closing the door.

225.00 isn't bad, in DFW it would be about 250.00 and up.
        Great. I'll keep that in mind; I am going to wait and see what the other companies quote. If I get a quote below $200 I will use a professional, but if not I may attempt it myself. Like you said, as long as I don't close the door at the wrong time it should be very easy to verify if things are working or not. It's not like I'm in a hurry since I am trying to do this before the electronic lock becomes an a problem. Thanks for advice.
        I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
          wanna trade up?
          Do you want to sell your current one? I need a new one also.
          Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Oh yea i forgot something HORSESHIT.
            Internet Safe Crackers we're all in trouble.

I replace 2-300 safe locks a year at least 25% are NORMAL S&G(6120,6123,Z02,Z02 rotary, normal S&G) they all quit, don't let anyone Bullshit you.
            I'm not saying they're bad they quit just like anything else. 10,11,12 years is the exception rather than the rule on an e-lock.
            If you use it once a week of course it will last longer than 20 times a day.
            Iv'e opened safes a week old and some 20 years old with e-locks on them. If you have an total e lock failure and yes an Normal S&G its not opening in 5 min. and i mean to the point past pushing buttons and battery changing then safe opening begins.

Five minutes or less.

I have also done it with a drill and an ice pick.

If you have a safe that you want to sacrifice I will prove it.
            Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by svo855 View Post
              Five minutes or less.

He has a working safe, and is wanting to replace the lock BEFORE it fails. How do either of your posts have any relevance in this thread?

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
                He has a working safe, and is wanting to replace the lock BEFORE it fails. How do either of your posts have any relevance in this thread?

The drill and ice pick method only destroys the lock.
                Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by LANTIRN View Post
                  Great. I'll keep that in mind; I am going to wait and see what the other companies quote. If I get a quote below $200 I will use a professional, but if not I may attempt it myself. Like you said, as long as I don't close the door at the wrong time it should be very easy to verify if things are working or not. It's not like I'm in a hurry since I am trying to do this before the electronic lock becomes an a problem. Thanks for advice.
                  Sounds like a good plan take a picture before as reference.

Comment

Originally posted by svo855 View Post
                    Five minutes or less.

Anyone can cut up a safe but 5 min with a drill and ice pick is pretty fast not knowing door thickness or lock model. Drill bit for a starter lends more to failure than 5 min success. You could run around and embarrass all the safe companies with your drill and ice pick opening their safes under their rated time. If you really want to prove it i'll get you a safe door in a vise and you can put on a show at the next metroplex lock assoc. meeting. Everbody will be excited to see your 5 min show with your drill and icepick.

Comment

What lock you putting on if you don't mind me asking?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
                      Originally posted by MR EDD
                      U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Anyone can cut up a safe but 5 min with a drill and ice pick is pretty fast not knowing door thickness or lock model. Drill bit for a starter lends more to failure than 5 min success. You could run around and embarrass all the safe companies with your drill and ice pick opening their safes under their rated time. If you really want to prove it i'll get you a safe door in a vise and you can put on a show at the next metroplex lock assoc. meeting. Everbody will be excited to see your 5 min show with your drill and icepick.
                        thats some macgruber type shit hes talking about!

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
                          What lock you putting on if you don't mind me asking?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
                          I emailed S&G and they recommended I replace it with a 6730 model.

http://www.sargentandgreenleaf.com/MC-6730.php

Of course if I find a local locksmith to do it for a reasonable cost I'll ask for their input on a good replacement. So far if I pay someone else to do it it won't be until sometime after labor day, but I am still waiting on few calls to be returned next week.
                          I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

I would only use a S&G 6730 stay away from Lagard,Ilco, and the import stuff. They will only cause you problems. IMO

Comment

The ice pick trick only works with the S&G key pad locks. A buddy of mine is a locksmith in FL and I attended a safe penetration class taught by Barry Wels with him a few years ago. Mr Wells is the one who showed us how to defeat the S&G locks.

Most of the safes for the class were all donated junkers and I cut some of them up after the class using the saw that I posted the link to.

Comment

S&G makes 1 e lock that you can open down the spindle hole with the method you describe and 3 or 4 that don't have a motor to spin.
                                They all look the same for the most part.

Comment

Working...
                                X