No announcement yet.

The yamaha VMAX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ya i talked to him for a minute...said they meet up there at 7 on thursdays to head out to high 5.

i was gassing up and heading out for the night

Comment

Originally posted by Downs View Post
      I rode the "sport" version of the Vrod with rear set pegs drag bars. Hands down the worst motorcycle I've ever swung a leg over. Horrid handling, worse brakes, power was ehh, most uncomfortable bike I've ridden to date.

I wouldn't buy one for 10 bucks

Sent from my iPhone
      So you have owned and put some miles on a VRod? They take a few miles to get use to but then you get hooked. Guys ride them all over the country with no issues. Vmax are nice bikes also but just a little dated in tech. The new ones look really nice but they are wanting stupid money for them.

Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
        So you have owned and put some miles on a VRod? They take a few miles to get use to but then you get hooked. Guys ride them all over the country with no issues. Vmax are nice bikes also but just a little dated in tech. The new ones look really nice but they are wanting stupid money for them.

Well it would be cool to have the american name "harley davidson" on a bike i own but it is built by prosche.. I think both bikes have their strong points.. I just cant decide on a cool cruiser with some balls on a budget.. I've also considered a miata and doing a 5.3/4l60e swap for a rec vehicle
        "PSH!!!"

Comment

Kept one up for a friend of ours that got deployed. Rode it enough to keep it running total mileage on the bike was probably around 5-700 miles before he came home and took it back. Honestly worst piece of shit I've ever ridden and I've been on a lot of bikes even old ones.

Stephen the bike isn't built by Porsche. Harley had them consult and assist with the design and build of the engine. Watercooling, overhead cams............stuff Harley hasn't dabbled in for a long time since the VR-1000 they had entered into racing.
          Last edited by Downs; 05-19-2012, 05:09 PM.
          2004 Suzuki DL650
          1996 Hy-Tek Hurricane 103

Comment

You like V-Rods but don't like Harley's?? Sport bikes are stupid fast and the V-Max isn't?! It's a 200hp bike! The Gen-1 V-Max had 145hp and ran a 10.81qm back in the day. The current V-Max is faster and if you can do some weight reduction imagine what it would do. Go with an M109r, nice bike but tame compared to the Max.

Comment

Originally posted by gnturboray View Post
              You like V-Rods but don't like Harley's?? Sport bikes are stupid fast and the V-Max isn't?! It's a 200hp bike! The Gen-1 V-Max had 145hp and ran a 10.81qm back in the day. The current V-Max is faster and if you can do some weight reduction imagine what it would do. Go with an M109r, nice bike but tame compared to the Max.
              Yeah the Vmax is just a cruiser frame with a sportbike motor and straightline they are kind of fun. That is an 07 I owned and it was fun to ride but just felt dated and bulky. Plus you would think in the 20 years or so of making them they would not still have issues. My Vrod was hands down a better bike in my opinion. It had forward controls and was very comfy on the highway or cruising around in the twisties. The ole Porsche designed motor is as solid as you can get in a sport cruiser. Lots and lots of people turbo and supercharge them with no issues. My Vrod was an 02 and to be the first year of a bike it had no real issues. I am a sportbike guy at heart but just tired of the riding position and numb hands. I will have another Vrod one day but for now I love puttering around on my Electra. It truley is like a big moped and I am okay with that. Hell it is a 96 and I owned a 1600 Vulcan before it. People that knock Harleys have never rode one. My 96 is way more balanced then my 06 Vulcan was and shifts way smoother.
              Whos your Daddy?

Comment

When i first got into motorcycle's back in the 80's the VMAX was the king daddy of bikes. Shit, every hotblooded kid wanted one. Unfortunately, i couldn't afford one as a poor high school punk so i had to ride 10 year old KZ 550's.
                I finally purchased a mint late 90's model sometime in the early 2000's and man was i disapointed in that bike. Horrible handling and brakes and barely 100 miles on a tank of gas. Besides a nice little blast when the Vboost kicked in, acceleration was nothing special either. I guess by this time i was spoiled by my ZX-12R ninja. For some reason there is still a big cult following for these bikes so unloading it was easy.
                I have never ridden a Vrod but i would seriously hope its a better bike than the Vmax.

Comment

Originally posted by bucky View Post
                  I finally purchased a mint late 90's model sometime in the early 2000's and man was i disapointed in that bike. Horrible handling and brakes and barely 100 miles on a tank of gas. Besides a nice little blast when the Vboost kicked in, acceleration was nothing special either.
                  I have never ridden a Vrod but i would seriously hope its a better bike than the Vmax.
                  The Vmax was never designed with handling or braking in mind. It was designed to produce massive power to out-accelerate everything (by 1987 standards it did this with ease)..which it would do quite easily if ridden properly.
                  The Vrod is NOT a better bike than the Vmax. Neither of them are particularly wonderful. Neither of them can go more than a 100 miles on a full tank (the Vrod is more like 80 on a tank), neither handle worth a damn, neither of them are all that comfortable (especially the lack of wind protection on the highway), and they are both expensive and hard to work on.

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
                    The Vmax was never designed with handling or braking in mind. It was designed to produce massive power to out-accelerate everything (by 1987 standards it did this with ease)..which it would do quite easily if ridden properly.
                    The Vrod is NOT a better bike than the Vmax. Neither of them are particularly wonderful. Neither of them can go more than a 100 miles on a full tank (the Vrod is more like 80 on a tank), neither handle worth a damn, neither of them are all that comfortable (especially the lack of wind protection on the highway), and they are both expensive and hard to work on.
                    Of course it wasn't designed to do it as most bikes of the 80's were not. It wasnt really till the late 80's with the Gsxr's,hurricanes, and ninjas that bikes started to halfway be equipped with decent brakes and handling.
                    The problem with the Vmax was it was never improved. Even a decade later, it was basically the same bike while the sportbike world just left it in the dust. Hell, even the cruiser world caught up and surpassed it in technology. I'm not knocking it..its still a cool bike but i wouldnt want one anymore.

Comment

If you like tue Vrod or Vmax then why not.consider a Ducati Diavel....
                      I have one and it s awesome bike... Doesnt have the VERY top end like a vmax, but its fast down low. Handles better than either other mentioned bike and lastly it looks the best of all of them....

Comment

I saw two of the Carbon models out in Ruidoso this weekend. Amazing sounding bike.
                        2004 Suzuki DL650
                        1996 Hy-Tek Hurricane 103

Comment

I love it... One of my better purchases for sure.......

Comment

Originally posted by Justa4Banger View Post
                            I have one and it s awesome bike... Doesnt have the VERY top end like a vmax, but its fast down low. Handles better than either other mentioned bike and lastly it looks the best of all of them....

Yeah those look really bad ass. I also like the Kawa Z1000. How is the riding position on that?
                            Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by Justa4Banger View Post

That bike looks sick! I was looking at those the other day online and I was in love untill I saw the price. Thats ducati though so its expected. Beautiful bike none the less!

Comment

Compared to a vmax or v rod the price is competitive. 17k for a base model isnt bad....imo.

The riding position is defintely upright, but just agressive enough to ride it like a sportbike.. handle bars remind me of a dirt bike though.

There is good wind blast at speeds over 90 but nothing unbearable

Comment

Working...
                                X