Re-Doing my DRZ400SM Wheels - Opinions Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-Doing my DRZ400SM Wheels - Opinions Needed

I'm going with a black/gold theme on my '05 DRZ400SM, playing off of the black plastics/rims and gold forks.

Here's what I've got ordered and am in the process of installing:

- Zeta levers (may powder coat the levers gold, may leave them stock gunmetal)
    - Unabiker radiator guards ("bling" gold)
    - EBC front wave rotor w/ gold carrier & caliper bracket
    - Driven shifter (gold arm w/ black peg)
    - Gold SS brake lines

I am taking the following pieces off to have them powder coated:
    - Heat shield (black)
    - Front sprocket cover (black)
    - Heal guards (black)
    - Wheel spacers (gold)

So here's my question...finally.

I'm going to have the wheels taken apart and have the hubs powdercoated gold, to match the radiator guards. I want to keep the rim hoops the stock black, so should I do:

A.) Black spokes/black nipples
    B.) Black spokes/gold nipples
    C.) Polished spokes/gold nipples
    D.) Polished spokes/black nipples.

Pretty sure I don't want to go gold spokes, so those are the options I'm considering.

All opinions appreciated.

B.) Black spokes/gold nipples on the hoop side/ gold hubs/black nipples on the hub side/ black hoops!

Then powdercoat most of the bike black.
    Ded

Comment

Originally posted by vadertt View Post
      B.) Black spokes/gold nipples on the hoop side/ gold hubs/black nipples on the hub side/ black hoops!

This ..... except there are no nipples on the hub side are there?

Comment

If you're having too hard a time deciding, you could always just give me the bike. She'll be well taken care of, I promise

Comment

Originally posted by vadertt View Post

Originally posted by Lason View Post
          What they said.

Comment

Originally posted by Lason View Post
            True, forgot about the hooks. I just really like nipples! Threading spokes is a bitch.
            Ded

Comment

Actually decided to go another way...black hoops, stock polished nipples, black spokes and gold hubs. Should look sick!

Comment

Leave the rims black, gold or red nipples, gold or red hubs, black spokes. I've laced up some dirt bike wheels. It's a time consuming process!

Comment

Took the wheels in to have the tires popped off today. Was going to take them to Bates, but North TX Yamaha is closer to both me and the guy that is doing my wheels, so I gave them a call. Service counter guy said that if I brought them up right away that he'd get one of the techs to do it for $25, on the side. Pretty fair deal, I thought.

I take them in and was going to warn him that they were essentially brand new wheels, with the original factory tires still on them. I'm spending this money taking off these still-good tires so that I can make them look even nicer. But, I didn't want to sound like an annoying douchebag that was questioning their professionalism, and I figured since I was in a dealership, that it went without saying that I didn't want the wheels scratched.

He brings out the rear wheel first. He hands it to me and as I inspect it, there is a signficant gouge in the lip, and a small scratch. It's not just a scratch, there's metal missing. I expressed my disappointment, and he said "So what do you want? You want a new wheel, I'll buy you a new wheel." It was said with an almost sarcastic tone, but I said let me see the front one and think about it. Front one came back looking fine, and I told him that I'd have the powder coater see if they could buff it and then coat it to match the factory rear, at their cost. He said "so long as you don't come back trying to charge me $500", and I just said that I'd call him if the estimate was over $100.

He throws a couple shoting parts like "This is the last time we ever try to help someone out." "You gotta look at it from my shoes, I'm losing money to help you out" "You shoulda taken it to Bates, cause they woulda done the same damage and not been responsible for it".

I have him the $25 we agreed on and told him I'd be back with a receipt to get reimbursed for the powdercoating wheel. Reminded him he was lucky that I was alredy paying to have the wheel disassembled and re-laced, so he would only have to pay for the polishing and powder coating. I also thanked him and complimented him on being professional and backing his work.

So I think that the dealership did the right thing, so I guess I should be happy. Just sucks that I have to deal with all this BS now, and just hope they don't give me a fuckin problem when I go back in to collect.

The wheel guy just called and said that he's got them taken apart for me...gonna go pick em back up and take them off to the powder coater! WooHoo!

Comment

shitty deal man. you would think that they would have their mounting/dismounting skills honed by now. probably just a msitake

Comment

Just got the wheels back..here is a pic of the damage done.

I'm not over-reacting, right? They were 100% perfect when I brought them in.

Ignore the coffee stain on the counter...been working on the bike more than cleaning the house.

Comment

that needs to be corrected no doubt

Comment

Yeah, and the more I look at it, the less I think it can be buffed out. Going to probably have to go back to them and ask for a new hoop. Should be a fun conversation to have.

Comment

I would have flipped if someone told me they were losing money on trying to help me out, especially from a dealership. I didn't know giving someone a deal entitled them to damage or not perform quality work.
                            Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
                            Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

The service manager was like "I just looked at the machine and he's got it all taped up, so I don't know how it happened." I said "You guys don't use plastic guards???" And he just shrugged his shoulders.

They're doing the right thing, but being very unapologetic about the whole situation and not recognizing the effort (hassle) it's now going to take on my part to correct their mistake.

Just sucks.

So now where should I go to have the new tires put on?? If they get scratched up again installing the new tires, I'm going to murder somebody on the spot.

Comment

Working...
                              X