Re-Doing my DRZ400SM Wheels - Opinions Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JasonRR View Post
    The service manager was like "I just looked at the machine and he's got it all taped up, so I don't know how it happened." I said "You guys don't use plastic guards???" And he just shrugged his shoulders.

They're doing the right thing, but being very unapologetic about the whole situation and not recognizing the effort (hassle) it's now going to take on my part to correct their mistake.

Just sucks.

So now where should I go to have the new tires put on?? If they get scratched up again installing the new tires, I'm going to murder somebody on the spot.
    You need to talk to the dealership manager. That's an unacceptable attitude to take towards a customer regardless of how much of a "deal" he was giving you. How the fuck much can it cost to take tires off of the rim, anyway? You took that wheel in in perfect condition, and shouldn't have expected anything differently coming out of there. I'd be pretty upset if that happened to something I spent my hard-earned money on, and I'd be extremely upset if I knew my service counter guy was treating potential repeat business that way.

Comment

Yep I would give them every opportunity to make things right like you are doing and once everything is done I would give the dealer owner/mgr a piece of my mind. No use chewing out the mgr now and getting the little help you are getting to stop but I would let them know after for sure. I would flip out if they handed me that wheel.

Comment

Powder coater confirmed today that he will not be able to polish/buff it out....too big of a chunk missing. So looks like I get to go back to the shop tomorrow and take the service manager up on his original offer to buy me a new wheel. Should be fun.

Comment

Walked in today and told the Service Mgr that the powder coater said that the wheel wasn't repairable and that I was going to need to take him up on his initial offer to replace the wheel. He said "Ok", took my name/number and I was on my way. He called about an hour later to confirm that it would be in next Tuesday...even said thank you. Totally professional.

Hopefully I get the wheel next week and this story has a happy ending.

Comment

Walked in today and told the Service Mgr that the powder coater said that the wheel wasn't repairable and that I was going to need to take him up on his initial offer to replace the wheel. He said "Ok", took my name/number and I was on my way. He called about an hour later to confirm that it would be in next Tuesday...even said thank you. Totally professional.

Hopefully I get the wheel next week and this story has a happy ending.
            Good to hear. There needs to be a dfwmustangs seal of approval or rejection in cases like this we can hand back to them.
            Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
            Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

Glad to hear that your rimjob worked out!
              Ded

Comment

I had my wheels on my VTX 1300 powder coated a few years back, had the tires dismounted/mounted at the Cycle gear in west Ft. Worth. I don't remember what they charged, but the installer was very aware that it was fresh powder coating, and took the nessesary precautions. He did a great job, not one rub mark. I do not remember his name, but maybe that's an indication of the stores customer service across the board.

Comment

Cycle Gear has a sale on those cool little one-pump dirtbike stands, so I just ran down there and picked one up. While I was there (Bedford), I told the guy about my situation and asked him if they had the tools and expertise to put the new tires on without fucking them up, again. The guy (same dude I've seen in there for the last few years) assured me that he's done custom and freshly powder coated wheels in the past and that he's careful enough to get them on without issues. And that if there was a problem, that they would make it right. So yeah, I'll probably go there.

Comment

Cycle Gear has a sale on those cool little one-pump dirtbike stands, so I just ran down there and picked one up. While I was there (Bedford), I told the guy about my situation and asked him if they had the tools and expertise to put the new tires on without fucking them up, again. The guy (same dude I've seen in there for the last few years) assured me that he's done custom and freshly powder coated wheels in the past and that he's careful enough to get them on without issues. And that if there was a problem, that they would make it right. So yeah, I'll probably go there.
                    Much better service, it sounds like.

Comment

The bedford CG is hit or miss with rims/tires. I'd make sure to take it in on a slow day and make sure the guy you spoke with is the one doing the installation, because otherwise the new guy usually ends up doing it and shit gets messed up.

Comment

Originally posted by lo3oz View Post
                        The bedford CG is hit or miss with rims/tires. I'd make sure to take it in on a slow day and make sure the guy you spoke with is the one doing the installation, because otherwise the new guy usually ends up doing it and shit gets messed up.

This sounds like good advice, I think the guy that did my wheels was the manager at the time. I bet if you emphasize the fact that they're freshly powder coated, you'll get treated right.

By the way OP, I like what you're doing to the bike. I've always liked those things. Wouldn't mind having one myself someday.

Comment

Oh yeah...whoever puts the new tires on is going to be more than well aware of what I've been through so far and of my expectations.

If they get fucked up again, I'll be having to have them dis-assembled, powder coated and re-assembled again, and that's more running around and time than I'm going to want to waste.

I just missed the FedEx guy with some parts that I"m going to use to match-up the gold powder coat. Shitty thing is that now I'm gone until Saturday, otherwise I coulda dropped everything off at the powder coater and had him order the powder (one week leadtime). Now everything is going to be pushed back 5 days. Sucks, but what are ya gonna do.

Comment

Well....good news.

They called yesterday and said that the wheel came in, but was scratched, so they were having another overnighted. They called today and I went in around noon to pick it up. Walked up and there was a fresh, clean wheel waiting for me. I shook his hand, thanked him and left.

As I picked it up, he said "There you go, brand new!". As I was looking at it, I can see where there was once those rubber strips that go down to protect the tube from the nipples. So wouldn't a "brand new!" rim be completely clean, with no signs of anything having previously been in there? I really don't care, because the wheel is in perfect condition and that's all I wanted, but it's bugging me to think that he might be trying to pass off a used wheel as a new one. Thoughts? Should I get a life and move on??

I'm going to send a couple of large pizzas over tomorrow around lunch time for him with a thank you card. I know it's not required, but it is getting more and more rare to see someone stand behind their promise to make something right. And that's worth a couple of pizzas to me...maybe even some cheesy-bread.

Comment

If it's a comprable wheel, then i say f it and call it a day. Sounds like they did everything they could to make things right.

Comment

post up pics when you finish this thing
                                i didn't read everything .... but an acerbis light on the front would look nicer IMO
                                bet it will look good either way, so lets see it

Comment

Working...
                                X