Mild rubbing compound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mild rubbing compound

I just refurb'd the rally wheels on my 87 Silverado. They're the OEM wheels. I don't have a spray rig, and I didn't want to pay body shop prices for having them sand blasted and sprayed professionally. So I used rustoleum rattle can wheel paint. I've done it before with fair results, so I figured I'd try it again on these wheels.

However, I'm not very happy with the level of gloss. Its just not very reflective. But on the back of the can of clearcoat, it says "To improve gloss, use a mild rubbing compound after 48 hours"

Which product would you define as, "a mild rubbing compound"? I know they sell all manner of turtle wax at all the local parts stores. Haven't had good luck with that brand in the past. Has anyone tried this stuff? If not, what would you use?

EDIT: Fuck I should have posted this in the detailing forum
    WH

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/3M-05928-Finesse--Machine-Polish/dp/B0006GBTP8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1430574105&sr=8-2&keywords=3m+finesse+it[/ame]

Comment

Holy balls thats expensive for some rubbing compound. I was hoping something in the area of $5-20
      WH

Comment

And now you know why professional detailers charge so much. The shit they use isn't cheap.
        sigpic

Comment

I love the 3M perfect it 39060, purple bottle.

Comment

Compounding isn't gonna cut it. No pun intended. Wet sand and polish. Yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            www.facebook.com/hilldetailworks

Comment

Originally posted by Counterfiend View Post
              Compounding isn't gonna cut it. No pun intended. Wet sand and polish. Yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              What grit of sandpaper, and what polish would you use?
              WH

Comment

Post pictures of the wheels. Honestly if you are wanting it to look glossy and smooth it would probably be at least 1500, 2000, 3000 grit then polish (2 stage polish to get it right)
                www.facebook.com/hilldetailworks

Comment

You can get those aerosol cans that you add your own paint to. Get some epoxy clear and re clear them
                  Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

Originally posted by Z06killinsbf View Post
                    You can get those aerosol cans that you add your own paint to. Get some epoxy clear and re clear them
                    Are you referring to that clear coat that has a sort of... button in the bottom of the can? Once you press the button, it releases the hardener into the can. This of course makes it a one time use type of deal, but you could just clear all 4 rims at once.

Also I really suck at rubbing compound knowledge. I'm still in the dark on which one I should use, except for the couple of recommendations that were given. But I was hoping someone would post one up that could be purchased at vatozone or Oriellys.
                    WH

Comment

Perfect It 2 is available at the part stores

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

How far from Rockwall? You could grey scotchbright or sand them with 800 or 1000 and I can clear them for you. Most of the time I have a little extra room in the booth.

Comment

Real far, unfortunately. cleburne area
                          WH

Comment

Originally posted by Counterfiend View Post
                            Post pictures of the wheels. Honestly if you are wanting it to look glossy and smooth it would probably be at least 1500, 2000, 3000 grit then polish (2 stage polish to get it right)

Wrong beauty rings, and a little gunk fell onto the rim

BEFORE:

WH

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
                              Are you referring to that clear coat that has a sort of... button in the bottom of the can? Once you press the button, it releases the hardener into the can. This of course makes it a one time use type of deal, but you could just clear all 4 rims at once.

Also I really suck at rubbing compound knowledge. I'm still in the dark on which one I should use, except for the couple of recommendations that were given. But I was hoping someone would post one up that could be purchased at vatozone or Oriellys.
                              This

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

Working...
                              X