Mercedes and Audi Maintenance? used

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by red89notch View Post
    I guess I wasn't clear enough, there are no C63 wagons in this country. The C class wagon hasn't been imported since 2005 or 06 and none of those were AMG.
    I don't think you're correct about that and I'll tell you why. Once I was at Spring Creek and Coit in Plano while driving one of my rx7s. I look over and there's a Mercedes wagon with some kids staring at me and they are really excited. Once the light turned green mom who was driving the Mercedes punched it and it took me a moment to realize what was going on and then I step on the gas myself. It took me until the 2nd to 3rd gear shift to catch the lady and pass her. I was so shocked by the performance of the car that I got the plate number and ran it to see what it was. It was an AMG station wagon. I think this took place around 2009.
    Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

I guess I wasn't clear enough, there are no C63 wagons in this country. The C class wagon hasn't been imported since 2005 or 06 and none of those were AMG.
      Nope your right E63

Comment

E63 wagons are a rare beast but they are out there. The E55 wagons only had 400 imported, the E63 wagon between 2007 and 2009 was something like 175. After 2010 they became less rare but hold their value pretty well. I was expecting SVO to say he had a couple AMG C wagons
        Originally posted by Marisa
        we women are all irrational and emotional and insane...some just hide it better than others.

truth.

Comment

E63 wagons are a rare beast but they are out there. The E55 wagons only had 400 imported, the E63 wagon between 2007 and 2009 was something like 175. After 2010 they became less rare but hold their value pretty well. I was expecting SVO to say he had a couple AMG C wagons
          SVO has an //MG99 convertible coupe with a rare hand built V16.

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
            So in other words, you get a used one and you are totally screwed.

Here's another guy who does a fair job of pointing it out:

He's a moron. 25 codes doesn't mean it has 25 problems, I've seen a dozen codes tied to a single connector being forced together. I guess he's never heard of a brake lathe either. Everything he complained about would also apply to a modern Ford or GM product aside from resale value.

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
              He's a moron. 25 codes doesn't mean it has 25 problems, I've seen a dozen codes tied to a single connector being forced together. I guess he's never heard of a brake lathe either. Everything he complained about would also apply to a modern Ford or GM product aside from resale value.
              That guy is a fucking moron and the video was posted by a moron.

I've never gotten in any 8 year old car and it not have CEL. All cars are going to have maintenance needed it doesn't matter what brand. You can choose to repair it yourself or have it done by a independent repair shop or stealership.

My old neighbor bought an older range rover, he took it to RR of Frisco, $1800. to do a brake job on all four corners. I told him I'd do it for half. I spent $400.ish on brake pads, new rotors (all NAPA parts) and knocked it out in a couple of hours. I made a little money and he was happy as hell he saved $900.00.
              Originally posted by Silverback
              Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by Trip McNeely View Post
                SVO has an //MG99 convertible coupe with a rare hand built V16.
                In my time I've owned about 20 German cars and the majority of them were Porsches. I own a Porsche now but unless I'm buying brand new it's unlikely I will ever have another German car.
                Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
                  That guy is a fucking moron and the video was posted by a moron.

I've never gotten in any 8 year old car and it not have CEL. All cars are going to have maintenance needed it doesn't matter what brand. You can choose to repair it yourself or have it done by a independent repair shop or stealership.

My old neighbor bought an older range rover, he took it to RR of Frisco, $1800. to do a brake job on all four corners. I told him I'd do it for half. I spent $400.ish on brake pads, new rotors (all NAPA parts) and knocked it out in a couple of hours. I made a little money and he was happy as hell he saved $900.00.
                  You have no clue dude. The German cars are built with layer upon layer of modules that are designed to fail and are anywhere from $400 to $5,000 each. Not only that you simply can't plug in a new one, you have to have some proprietary software to make the car shake hands with the new module otherwise it won't work. I'm pretty sure the modules cost the manufacturer under fifty bucks a piece. The cars are designed to be an endless revenue stream after the original sale of the car. I also challenge you to randomly pick any ten-year-old Mercedes and even with an unlimited budget you will not be able to fix every check engine light. They are simply garbage.

The guy in the video is really not an idiot, he's a very practical and cheap mechanic that gives good advice. I do disagree with him about how he does brakes. I replace the brake rotors or drums anytime I change the friction material and always will.

Comment

Man, that Scotty guy really has no clue about Mercedes. He was also Calling it a CLS550 when it was obviously a CLS500. With a lip that big on the rotor I guarantee they are at the minimum thickness and need to be replaced anyway. With a small lip, I have never heard of it making a squeak.
                    we women are all irrational and emotional and insane...some just hide it better than others.

truth.

Comment

Strange how the E63 is no longer a US model (low sales) and yet Audi brings the Avant. Are they that hard to work on. Im sure other brand are the same way as far as tight engine bay. I just can't see buying new and value dropping in a few years. All though I see AMG and Audi S hold value.

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnboy View Post
                        Strange how the E63 is no longer a US model (low sales) and yet Audi brings the Avant. Are they that hard to work on. Im sure other brand are the same way as far as tight engine bay. I just can't see buying new and value dropping in a few years. All though I see AMG and Audi S hold value.
                        I have a claim on an A8 right now, it's over 40 hours to R&R the engine. They literally re-engineered the engine to put the timing chains/water pump on the back for packaging reasons. Which actually does make it easier to replace the cam phasers since the trans comes out easier than the front of the car comes off.

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnboy View Post
                          Uummmmmm...what? There is a 2021 E63 in sedan and wagon.

truth.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
                              Owning a German car made after about 2,000 that isn't under warranty is a really bad idea. I've been down this road many times and finally gave up. Older German cars were designed to last your entire lifetime if you felt like keeping them. The newer ones are designed from the outset to fail and Mercedes is the worst of the bunch.
                              Right here or close, maybe 02 or 03. I have been rolling a 00 M Roadster for a little over a year and love that bastard. Once I worked out the little quirks it has been just a nice weekend driver. The damn M Roadsters just jumped in price and are getting hard to find now along with the M3 and don't even try to price a M Clownshoe. This thing reminds me of an exotic Cobra. I bought it for 9k last year.

Oh, and even though mine doesn't have all the electrical computerized shit that goes wrong currently, there were more than a few Z3's that shredded the trunk. Like some dumb ass thought sheet metal was a good place to attach all of the suspension parts. For a mere 3500 there are places that have designed a bad ass reinforcement kit for it. Mine appears to have had a little extra from the factory. If I ever turbo it, it will probably still need done.

On a side note, got a friend that imports his BMWs. He also has a fancy 7 series V12 he bought new sitting in his shop. I think it is an 07 and all sorts of issues and with just over 80k on it.
                              Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
                                You have no clue dude. The German cars are built with layer upon layer of modules that are designed to fail and are anywhere from $400 to $5,000 each. Not only that you simply can't plug in a new one, you have to have some proprietary software to make the car shake hands with the new module otherwise it won't work. I'm pretty sure the modules cost the manufacturer under fifty bucks a piece. The cars are designed to be an endless revenue stream after the original sale of the car. I also challenge you to randomly pick any ten-year-old Mercedes and even with an unlimited budget you will not be able to fix every check engine light. They are simply garbage.
                                You Nailed It 100%

More programming and coding, and secret coding and programming,

My company owns a huge fleet of Sprinter Vans.

Try to keep a Check Engine light off of one these vans is impossible.

I've had brand new parts from Mercedes go bad within weeks.

I installed a Mercedes Reman Engine and Immediately had throttle sensor faults and a those parts are new with the engine.

What a joke the 2.1 diesel engine is, Vacuum hose nightmare, intake warps and dumps oil down the side of the engine. TOTAL SHIT !
                                Last edited by prostock1; 01-21-2021, 12:38 PM. Reason: Talisman
                                sigpic
                                "Lookin' back in front of me in the mirror's a grin,
                                through eyes of love I see I'm really lookin' at a friend
                                We've all had our problems that's the way life is,
                                my heart goes out to others who are there to make amends".

Comment

Working...
                                X