Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
    ftfy, and no.
    other than your aversion to the heat not being from the burning of the wood, why dont you like the electics?
    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron View Post
      other than your aversion to the heat not being from the burning of the wood, why dont you like the electics?
      They have their place, I suppose. I don't like them for many reasons, the main one being I'm a purist. Every electric smoker I've ever seen, will not produce the same results as a wood burning smoker. They just don't. Tiny smoke ring, less smoke flavor, the bark doesnt get as thick. It's more of an oven than a smoker. I don't like vertical smokers, either.

I do have an electric bullet smoker that I use at the farm. The only reason it gets used, is because I'm too busy working to be bothered with maintains a fire. And it fucking sucks. I've never been impressed with any of the many electric smokers I've used, residential or commercial.
      Originally posted by BradM
      But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
      Originally posted by Leah
      In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Every electric smoker I've ever seen, will not produce the same results as a wood burning smoker. They just don't. Tiny smoke ring, less smoke flavor, the bark doesnt get as thick.
        Roscoe approves this message.

Comment

man, I've been watching some of those videos and holy crap I want some brisket! A smoker just moved into my top 3 things on my "need to buy" list.
          Originally posted by stevo
          Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

Originally posted by bird_dog0347 View Post
            man, I've been watching some of those videos and holy crap I want some brisket! A smoker just moved into my top 3 things on my "need to buy" list.
            You can find some fairly descent ones on craigslist. A smoker is something you don't really need to buy new IMO. Being a newby, it would be best to buy something cheap and learn off of that.

Comment

They have their place, I suppose. I don't like them for many reasons, the main one being I'm a purist. Every electric smoker I've ever seen, will not produce the same results as a wood burning smoker. They just don't. Tiny smoke ring, less smoke flavor, the bark doesnt get as thick. It's more of an oven than a smoker. I don't like vertical smokers, either.

I do have an electric bullet smoker that I use at the farm. The only reason it gets used, is because I'm too busy working to be bothered with maintains a fire. And it fucking sucks. I've never been impressed with any of the many electric smokers I've used, residential or commercial.
              My dad has a vertical that works well for cold smoking.

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
                You can find some fairly descent ones on craigslist. A smoker is something you don't really need to buy new IMO. Being a newby, it would be best to buy something cheap and learn off of that.
                I don't need anything fancy or expensive, just an offset cooker. I have seen them new for around $150-250, can they be had under $100 on CL?

Stevo

Comment

I don't need anything fancy or expensive, just an offset cooker. I have seen them new for around $150-250, can they be had under $100 on CL?
                  i picked up a brinkman offset for $60. it does the job for the most part. came with a cover too.

Comment

Ill be breaking it in tomorrow, wish me luck.
                    Originally posted by Silverback
                    Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
                      Ill be breaking it in tomorrow, wish me luck.
                      Don't forget to call Rafa.
                      Originally posted by talisman
                      I wonder if there will be a new character that specializes in bjj and passive agressive comebacks?
                      Originally posted by AdamLX
                      If there was, I wouldn't pick it because it would probably just keep leaving the game and then coming back like nothing happened.
                      Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                      Because fuck you, that's why
                      Originally posted by 80coupe
                      nice dick, Idrivea4banger
                      Originally posted by Rick Modena
                      ......and idrivea4banger is a real person.
                      Originally posted by Jester
                      Man ive always wanted to smoke a bowl with you. Just seem like a cool cat.

Comment

<---- started with a cheap $149 offset and they are much harder to work than a quality smoker. Thinner gauge metal, doesn't hold heat/smoke/temp well at all...

Hopefully you can find someone selling a quality used one for a few hundred..

Comment

Originally posted by Roscoe View Post
                          <---- started with a cheap $149 offset and they are much harder to work than a quality smoker. Thinner gauge metal, doesn't hold heat/smoke/temp well at all...

Hopefully you can find someone selling a quality used one for a few hundred..

This is true, but you will become a fucking master at maintaining a fire, which is a good thing. I still use a cheap, flimsy, pile of shit. Mainly because it still gets the job done. That and I'm not 100% sure what I want exactly in my next smoker.

Comment

This is true, but you will become a fucking master at maintaining a fire, which is a good thing. I still use a cheap, flimsy, pile of shit. Mainly because it still gets the job done. That and I'm not 100% sure what I want exactly in my next smoker.
                            Those $150 Charbroil units from Wal-Mart actually work pretty well. If they were really thick-walled, and had expanded metal instead of wire for a grill surface, they'd be perfect.
                            ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

I figure if I get a cheap one first, if I decide to upgrade later I can take the cheap one to my uncle's lake house as we spend a ton of time there in the summer.

Stevo

Comment

Originally posted by Yale View Post
                                Those $150 Charbroil units from Wal-Mart actually work pretty well. If they were really thick-walled, and had expanded metal instead of wire for a grill surface, they'd be perfect.
                                They leak like the Titanic and don't maintain temp well. At all. But they definitely work.

Comment

Working...
                                X