Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

bcoop...what do you think of this steak ager?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bcoop...what do you think of this steak ager?

I think youre the only person i know that can give a valid opinion on this so im curious...is this thing a disaster waiting to happen, or a decent execution?

I would say it is pretty legit if it works as it is designed to. But $150 is steep IMO.

I also wonder if you have to adjust the refrigerator temp to let the box stay at a specific temp.

Comment

I don't think the price is steep at all, if it really works. It appears to be made of polyethylene, and that stuff isn't cheap.

I have concerns over whether or not their humidity control works as it would need to. I just don't know that a single fan blowing the humid air out keeps the humidity where it needs to be to dry age. Also, keep in mind, you're just blowing that humid air right back in to the fridge cavity, and this doesn't appear to be air tight, which would cause fluctuation in the relative humidity in the aging chamber

For $160, I'm willing to order one and give it a shot. But would need to play with it before I could confidently say one way or another.
      Originally posted by BradM
      But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
      Originally posted by Leah
      In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Aged beef would be awesome to do at home. Probably should read up on the process, but bcoop brings up a lot of good points.
        Originally posted by MR EDD
        U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

I've done a shit ton of wet aging at home, but haven't messed with dry aging due to a lack of space and proper equipment. I've got an idea in my head of what I wanted to do for dry aging, just don't have the space for it with the toys in the garage.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
            I've done a shit ton of wet aging at home, but haven't messed with dry aging due to a lack of space and proper equipment. I've got an idea in my head of what I wanted to do for dry aging, just don't have the space for it with the toys in the garage.
            I'm not familiar with either process, so I best start doing so. Cost of meat these days, might as well make the most of it.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
              I'm not familiar with either process, so I best start doing so. Cost of meat these days, might as well make the most of it.
              Wet aging is simple. You just buy the primal cuts instead of already cut steaks. Leave in the cryovac and toss in the fridge and forget about it.

Comment

Wet aging is simple. You just buy the primal cuts instead of already cut steaks. Leave in the cryovac and toss in the fridge and forget about it.
                Interesting! For my own knowledge I'll need to read anyway, but I do trust what you say on these matters.

Gonna have to do that in the shop fridge and just cook them one day. If wife I knew I was grilling X day old (non frozen) steaks, she'd not eat them. What they don't know won't hurt them.

Comment

Interesting! For my own knowledge I'll need to read anyway, but I do trust what you say on these matters.

Gonna have to do that in the shop fridge and just cook them one day. If wife I knew I was grilling X day old (non frozen) steaks, she'd not eat them. What they don't know won't hurt them.
                  Don't ever let her see what a dry aged steak looks like raw then. Lmao!

Comment

Don't ever let her see what a dry aged steak looks like raw then. Lmao!
                    Are you supposed to trim that off, or just cook it like it is?

Comment

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
                      Are you supposed to trim that off, or just cook it like it is?
                      Trim it.

Comment

Considering the price point of solid dry aged steaks, having capability to do it for $150 would be awesome.

My favorite, bone-in ribeye, comes out to $62ish for a 1lb steak, including bone weight.
                        Originally posted by PGreenCobra
                        I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
                        Originally posted by Trip McNeely
                        Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
                        dont downshift!!
                        Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

bcoop is right the key is the humidity control and whether or not it really works. It's the main thing I'm wary of as an engineer that loves steak.

Comment

How do you know when someone is an engineer?
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Magnus View Post
                              How do you know when someone is an engineer?
                              theyll tell you they only eat at zagat rated restaurants?

Comment

Working...
                              X