Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

bcoop...what do you think of this steak ager?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
    No refrigerator is 0% humidity at any given time. If it were, it would be a freezer.
    You are right, but refrigeration reduces humidity period. I spent a few years teaching 150 ton refrigeration in the Navy. Reducing humidity is the 2nd purpose of refrigeration.

So if this device is trying to maintain 80% humidity while sitting in a refrigerator.... well good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonyS View Post

So if this device is trying to maintain 80% humidity while sitting in a refrigerator.... well good luck.
      Again, everyone has differing opinions on the "best" humidity levels.

But, you're right. I guess someone forgot to tell all of those butchers and steakhouses that beef can't be aged in refrigerators. What the hell are they thinking?
      Originally posted by BradM
      But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
      Originally posted by Leah
      In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

You are right, but refrigeration reduces humidity period. I spent a few years teaching 150 ton refrigeration in the Navy. Reducing humidity is the 2nd purpose of refrigeration.

You are forgetting that its an isolated box with a huge moisture source in it. Its obviously regulating air exchange with the "ambient" environment which in this case is the rest of the fridge. Basically it sounds like an electronically controlled humidity drawer.

Before tou tell us for a third time that you taught refrigeration, show us the math as to why itll fail. I will gladly admit im wrong if you can do so...but until then youre just an asshole with an opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
          youre just an asshole with an opinion.
          you just described everyone on this board.

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
            That's just you're opinion, you fucking asshole.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
              youre just an asshole with an opinion.
              brilliant!
              "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
                Precisely my point. Claiming you have a superior knowledge of the operating effectiveness of this device WITHOUT showing the numbers means you have an opinion. Therefore, it doesnt matter what you taught, you're not actually backing up your statements with fact.

In engineering, just about all decisions regarding feasibility should be backed by numbers. Its not an opinion based or emotionally driven field when it comes to this stuff.

And if you cannot produce the numbers, then you have no business trying to qualify yourself as an expert.

Comment

Did someone say engineering?
                  sigpic

Comment

I engineered once.

Comment

Anthony likes to come in to threads, shit all over everyone and everything, inserting nonsensical bullshit that doesn't make sense to anyone but him, then takes off never to be seen in the same thread again. I'm surprised he responded in here already, so we aren't likely to graced with his presence again.

They hit their $50k goal, so it looks like they will be adding the Bluetooth feature. I can't wait.

Comment

What is the humidity in a fridge (general...I know a lot of variations)

I often make jerky and if it's quite dry enough, I'll leave it in open ziplock bags in my fridge and it dries them out just fine after a long cold smoke. I don't know if that's from the air flow through there, dryness or both.
                        Originally posted by MR EDD
                        U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
                          What is the humidity in a fridge (general...I know a lot of variations)

There are far too many variables to put a general number on it. Style of refrigeration, how often it is opened, what is inside, etc. you can't even get a good baseline comparing those little dorm refrigerators, because they are all over the map. The only real way to tell is by putting a psychrometer in it.

Comment

Man thanks again for picking this up. I look forward to seeing your review and hopefully it works good enough so that i can buy one for my pops.

Funny enough, my dad has been asking me to design a home steak ager for a few years now...i just didn't know anything about it. I keep a running list of projects i want to work on and this is another one i regret not trying.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                              Anthony likes to come in to threads, shit all over everyone and everything, inserting nonsensical bullshit that doesn't make sense to anyone but him, then takes off never to be seen in the same thread again. I'm surprised he responded in here already, so we aren't likely to graced with his presence again.

They hit their $50k goal, so it looks like they will be adding the Bluetooth feature. I can't wait.
                              They are also using salt in their device, a natural desiccant.

Go read for yourself gentlemen,

Refrigeration both cools and reduces humidity. If you want to quantify how much get a little device called a hygrometer and knock yourself out.

If you want to see the math, look something called a phase diagram for fluids. Almost everyone is familiar with the critical temperatures and pressures for water which is what conveniently makes air wet or humid.

I'm just saying controlling humidity to a relatively high value using salt and refrigeration is problematic. It will be interesting to see how this device handles it. You guys are all excited about this shit, but you aren't busting their nuts for their math when they using a natural desiccant (salt) and sticking their device in a machine that when working properly will lower humidity too. They don't list any specs for their device actually, but you guys are all ready to simply push the "I believe" button. Good for you. I'll wait and see how things pan out instead.

I remember in the '80s when I was in college everything by today was supposed to be running on alternative energy. All the experts insisted it was so. Heck no one even questioned it, because it was so obvious. Now we are still burning coal and oil.

If the device works awesome. All I'm saying is that salt and refrigeration both reduce humidity...... and we are trying to maintain a RH of 80% according to most experts.

Any of you guys have any proof that salt or refrigeration raises humidity? Until you prove either of those contentions wrong, all you're doing is pissing and moaning that you don't like me. If I gave a shit about how much you clowns liked me I'd run for President.

Comment

They are also using salt in their device, a natural desiccant.

Go read for yourself gentlemen,

Refrigeration both cools and reduces humidity. If you want to quantify how much get a little device called a hygrometer and knock yourself out.

If you want to see the math, look something called a phase diagram for fluids. Almost everyone is familiar with the critical temperatures and pressures for water which is what conveniently makes air wet or humid.

I'm just saying controlling humidity to a relatively high value using salt and refrigeration is problematic. It will be interesting to see how this device handles it. You guys are all excited about this shit, but you aren't busting their nuts for their math when they using a natural desiccant (salt) and sticking their device in a machine that when working properly will lower humidity too. They don't list any specs for their device actually, but you guys are all ready to simply push the "I believe" button. Good for you. I'll wait and see how things pan out instead.

I remember in the '80s when I was in college everything by today was supposed to be running on alternative energy. All the experts insisted it was so. Heck no one even questioned it, because it was so obvious. Now we are still burning coal and oil.

If the device works awesome. All I'm saying is that salt and refrigeration both reduce humidity...... and we are trying to maintain a RH of 80% according to most experts.

Any of you guys have any proof that salt or refrigeration raises humidity? Until you prove either of those contentions wrong, all you're doing is pissing and moaning that you don't like me. If I gave a shit about how much you clowns liked me I'd run for President.
                                Are you saying the meat isnt a moisture source in itself?

Like i said...show me the math...otherwise you dont know what youre talking about.

Comment

Working...
                                X