Big Green Egg ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dcs13 View Post
    OK, Im freaking impressed. Smoked a whole chicken today . Wife said it was the best she's ever tasted... Steaks last night were great, pizza's on Friday were good. Its a little bit of a learning curve to moderate the temps.. Why the hell do I have a stove ?
    Yup, easy as can be... only two real "rules" for it. First and foremost, safety, if you're cooking hotter than about 400 make sure when you open the lid you only do so about an inch for 3-4 seconds and not just open it fast, it can flame up on you and burn you. Second, do not overshoot your temp when you light it up, it's a real bitch to cool it back down to where you want it.
    Originally posted by stevo
    Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
      My buddy had an Acorn and really liked it.....but he eventually bought a green egg. He bought the Acorn to see if he could master the charcoal concept and after a year or two he just decided it was time. Really though it worked well but I think it was losing the seal at the bottom and he broke the adjustment thingy on top. He also realized my BGE was 6 years old at that point and still working flawless.
      Yeah the adjustment lever broke on my so I replaced the whole top with the stainless chimney with the added benefit of being covered so I can cook in the rain.

After I sealed the bottom part it'll hold 250 steady with the top vent partially open and gets to 290 ish if it's wide open. I can close it almost all the way and it'll sit at 225 but it burns through the batteries on my controller pretty fast. If I pull the controller out and run both vents wide open it'll hit 500+ degrees but takes forever to get there so I'm better off using my gas grill.

Comment

Originally posted by bird_dog0347 View Post
        Yup, easy as can be... only two real "rules" for it. First and foremost, safety, if you're cooking hotter than about 400 make sure when you open the lid you only do so about an inch for 3-4 seconds and not just open it fast, it can flame up on you and burn you. Second, do not overshoot your temp when you light it up, it's a real bitch to cool it back down to where you want it.
        Best two pieces of advice for egg cooking. I got to drinking one night and forgot to burp it, lost quit a bit of arm hair. Also if you plan on doing lots of high temp cooking if it doesn't have the upgraded hit temp gasket I would go ahead and change it. Easier to change now than after you burn out the factory one and it is all cooked on there from a couple years of use.

Comment

I love mine. Use it 3-4 nights a week. I would strongly encourage you to go to Ceramic Grill Store in Denton. You can buy the base, dome, stand, whatever from them, but with the internals you'll want/need like their adjustable shelf system, the woo ring (for woks, etc), and not have to pay for things you don't want/need.

I bought mine from Ace years ago before I knew about CGS. No complaints with Ace, they've been fantastic. I just picked up a large from Ace again yesterday that I donated to a charity auction. Because I don't know where it will wind up, I wanted to get from a national dealer. But if it were for me, CGS all the way.
          Originally posted by BradM
          But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
          Originally posted by Leah
          In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayStangGT View Post
            Best two pieces of advice for egg cooking. I got to drinking one night and forgot to burp it, lost quit a bit of arm hair. Also if you plan on doing lots of high temp cooking if it doesn't have the upgraded hit temp gasket I would go ahead and change it. Easier to change now than after you burn out the factory one and it is all cooked on there from a couple years of use.
            Replace with a Rutland and you'll never need another gasket as long as you own it.
            Originally posted by BradM
            But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
            Originally posted by Leah
            In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

lossless image hosting

Recent upgrade from my $40 little smoker.. but I loved my little smoker and had great results with it. But the traeger cooks steaks great too.. still love the Weber kettle too though!
              "PSH!!!"

Comment

I'm surprised how much I like the kettle.
                "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                  I'm surprised how much I like the kettle.
                  I love mine, I found it in the trash years ago, power washed it and bought a new $22 grate and use it at least once a week.. I cooked lunch on it today lol
                  "PSH!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
                    I love mine, I found it in the trash years ago, power washed it and bought a new $22 grate and use it at least once a week.. I cooked lunch on it today lol
                    I have been mentoring a high school bbq competition team, and decided to try the kettle to have another option for them to use. Cooked a brisket on it using the snake method, it was great, and so simple.
                    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                      I have been mentoring a high school bbq competition team, and decided to try the kettle to have another option for them to use. Cooked a brisket on it using the snake method, it was great, and so simple.
                      Those kids are going to grow up to be kick ass - assholes!

Comment

Working...
                      X