Easy way to light charcoal no lighter fluid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easy way to light charcoal no lighter fluid

For years I’ve been using a charcoal chimney and lighter fluid at home and camping. It’s foolproof. Today I was out of fluid and didn’t want to take a trip to the store (steaks are in the Joe now). I grabbed plain old brown shipping paper crumpled up a sheet and put it under the chimney. I lit it via the vents. After it was mostly burned I lifted it up and put another crumpled sheet under it and lit it. The chimney was glowing hot in 15 min all coals glowing nicely just as if I’d used lighter fluid. A charcoal chimney is a must have if you cook in an egg regularly.

I’ve never used lighter fluid with my chimney starter, that’s the reason they exist.

Comment

I use neither... I put my charcoal (real lump, not briquettes) in my egg and light it with my butane torch and if I'm in a hurry I'll put a fan in front of the intake vent. Super simple and fast, never need fluid. I have a chimney to use on my offset and it's awesome but I still never use fluid.
      Originally posted by stevo
      Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonyS View Post
        For years I’ve been using a charcoal chimney and lighter fluid at home and camping. It’s foolproof. Today I was out of fluid and didn’t want to take a trip to the store (steaks are in the Joe now). I grabbed plain old brown shipping paper crumpled up a sheet and put it under the chimney. I lit it via the vents. After it was mostly burned I lifted it up and put another crumpled sheet under it and lit it. The chimney was glowing hot in 15 min all coals glowing nicely just as if I’d used lighter fluid. A charcoal chimney is a must have if you cook in an egg regularly.
        I always have local fliers that are newspaper and use those. Never mess with lighter fluid.

Comment

I use cardboard I cut into 2” wide strips or (preferably) egg crate. I keep both in high quantity. Fold up the cardboard in a zigzag pattern or I will stuff torn up pieces of egg crate into the bottom of the chimney.
          Originally posted by PGreenCobra
          I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
          Originally posted by Trip McNeely
          Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
          dont downshift!!
          Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
            I always have local fliers that are newspaper and use those. Never mess with lighter fluid.
            This. If it wasn’t for junk ads in my mail I wouldn’t be able to grill or light my fireplace in the winter.

Comment

Yup, nothing new using newspaper with a chimney. And for the Kamado style grills (like the Big Green Egg), you don't want to use lighter fluid on the charcoal. I don't have a butane torch to light my charcoal up with but been meaning to get one for those times I'm in a hurry. And I do the same with using a fan (usually my leaf blower) to help accelerate getting the charcoal going; either in the chimney or on the grill.

Comment

Just pour some gas on it and light it.

Comment

I have an old DOT manual I've been using pages from. Rip out 5-6, crumple them up and soak with some 160 proof hand sanitizer I found during my boating accident where I lost all of my firearms.

Before I found the sanitizer I'd soak some butcher paper on olive oil and do the same.

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
                    I have an old DOT manual I've been using pages from. Rip out 5-6, crumple them up and soak with some 160 proof hand sanitizer I found during my boating accident where I lost all of my firearms.

Before I found the sanitizer I'd soak some butcher paper on olive oil and do the same.
                    sounds fishy

Comment

If you are by electricity, these come in handy.

WRX

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
                        sounds fishy
                        It's really weird how it's illegal to own distilling equipment without a federal and state license but half the breweries in town started making hand sanitizer a couple of weeks after hoarding started. Stills are very easy to manufacture at home and anyone with some sugar or cornmeal can make moonshine. I mean you can buy complete kits on ebay if you want and if you already have home brewing gear it's just a clamp on lid and a few pipes.

Comment

Congratulations on finally using a charcoal chimney exactly like they were designed to be used. You want a cookie?

More appalling is your use of lighter fluid in an egg. Way to ruin it.
                          Originally posted by BradM
                          But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                          Originally posted by Leah
                          In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                            Congratulations on finally using a charcoal chimney exactly like they were designed to be used. You want a cookie?

More appalling is your use of lighter fluid in an egg. Way to ruin it.
                            Can you quote me on using lighter fluid in the egg? You like making ASSumptions don’t ya?

The chimney gets started outside the egg, and the lighter fluid burns off long before the lump charcoal ever goes in.

Comment

Use tumbleweeds with my Primo-works like a champ

Comment

Working...
                              X