Grills......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jluv View Post
    I recently ditched my big fancy KitchenAid charcoal grill after 6 years and replaced it with a 22" Weber Kettle. I liked the KicthenAid for big parties, but it just took a crap ton of charcoal to get really hot. I like the Weber a lot better, and it was a whole lot cheaper.

I got a 36" Blackstone griddle for Christmas, and have been cooking on that a decent bit lately. It's obviously not a grill, but it's fantastic for a lot of stuff. As much as I like a thick, grilled burger, a double-stacked smashburger on the griddle is super tasty.

I still plan to get a BGE one of these days.
    I thought you couldn’t do open flames of any kind?
    Originally posted by BradM
    But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
    Originally posted by Leah
    In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
      Why couldn't he? City ordinance? I know he's been cooking with charcoal for a few years.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
        Only if we have fire restrictions.

Comment

I have a BGE XL, which honestly is a bit too big for daily use for the wife and I, just takes a lot to get it going for a couple of steaks, etc. I have not been super happy with the XL when it comes to smoking. Just don't feel like I get anywhere near the results I used to from the old offset oklahoma joe I used to have. Smoke rings are lacking, bark isn't near as good. However it holds temp great without any accessories (I did buy a FireBoss 500 recently for it, but haven't used it)

Recently got a Blackstone with the air fryers and that thing is awesome. Sous vide Steaks then a couple of minutes per edge on the flat top to seer are AWESOME. Did some McKinney cuts a few weeks ago from Local Yokal and they were perfect! Smash burgers, cheese steaks, and tacos of any sort are quick, easy, and minimal cleanup.

Looking now at adding a pellet grill/smoker to the family as well, just to try something new, and because it's much quicker to get going for regular use.

Comment

Blackstones are the shit

Comment

Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

Bought a Traeger when COVID started. I'm running it and then an old Jenn-Air LP. Traeger is where it's at.

Comment

Traeger..I i just keep eye balling the grip grill. Now thinking of the 22", if only there was a way to add a burner at the bottom to light the charcoal. Maybe a side box for the charcoal for a indirect heat grilling

Comment

I've got a Chargriller propane/charcoal combo grill with the optional smoker box. I've had it about 11 years, and hope to get a few out of it before i get another. When i do replace it there is another brand with a similar model I've seen at Academy. It looks to be a thicker gauge metal, and hopefully holds temp better when smoking.

Comment

I had a top-of-the-line Brinkmann that didn't heat evenly from day one, and started rusting way too soon, so I think I'll spend a little more on the replacement, and do a better job of keeping it covered. We've got limited patio space for the time being, so I'm thinking this "28 Coyote will fit the bill.

I like the idea of a full griddle top for when I make Sunday pancakes, but am hesitant to think that my wife's medium rare filet's will come out to her liking.

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
                        I had a top-of-the-line Brinkmann that didn't heat evenly from day one, and started rusting way too soon, so I think I'll spend a little more on the replacement, and do a better job of keeping it covered. We've got limited patio space for the time being, so I'm thinking this "28 Coyote will fit the bill.

I like the idea of a full griddle top for when I make Sunday pancakes, but am hesitant to think that my wife's medium rare filet's will come out to her liking.
                        I have a sear burner very similar to the grill youre showing and it works great. On a blackstone it's easier for me to get a flavorful crust but maybe a little more sensitive to get right and usually a little slower. I said all that to say i dont really know that there's enough difference to matter. Its a win win...especially since you can just use a cast iron griddle with a grill.

Griddles really shine with big meals. I usually do a big fancy meal for 10-15 on Christmas...and the sous vide+blackstone was a savior for the filets. The cast iron was for the scallops.

Comment

Still pimp the Primo XL.

I have the divider which is helps big time if I don't want to use whole thing.

Matt is right about the smoking, small smoke ring, not thick bark, but man I don't have to tend to it hardily at all. I set it to about 250 and it just stays there. I only put one 1/4 price of wood towards bottom of it.

I still use the firestarter. I just put it on top of old lump charcoal and light it. Lights up the rest as well. If I want to get it going quick, I use the weed burner. What I did, was I took the circular part of the weed burner, I put in vice and squeezed it, and it fits perfect inside the vent on PRIMO. I turn on the burner, stick it in there and just move it side to side and it starts up pretty damn quick.

Haven't used the real smoker in forever, but I am missing a good smoke though, so I might bust it out here shortly to do some real smoking.

Comment

Wife just got me a Big Green Egg for Christmas. I just picked it up today. Let the games begin! I need some tips as this is pretty new to me. I?m used to an old school Weber charcoal.

Comment

Originally posted by Trip McNeely View Post
                              Wife just got me a Big Green Egg for Christmas. I just picked it up today. Let the games begin! I need some tips as this is pretty new to me. I?m used to an old school Weber charcoal.
                              I totally went to the dark side and now have a kamado joe ii. If your smoking keep your your intake almost closed (I stick the tip of my pinky in the vent and close it to my finger) and top vents barely open too and uoull Keep a nice 250
                              "PSH!!!"

Comment

Congrats, I've had mine for about 5 years now and still love it. You didn't mention which size you got, I've got the XL and went to a place in Denton called The Ceramic Grill store and bought their system for the inside. You can fit way more stuff in there and it's much easier and more adjustable than the BGE brand stuff. I HIGHLY recommend getting this setup for whatever size egg you got. The smokeware cap is also super handy if you are smoking something for lengthy periods of time and there is a possibility of bad weather. And the angle brackets make it easy to divide the charcoal into one side of the egg and be able to cook steaks over indirect heat slowly then sear the shit out of them when they are almost ready.

XL Woo Adjustable Rig Combo, the most versatile rack system for XL Big Green EGG. Go big on 3 levels; grill with tiered full and half grid capability; have unencumbered lump access smoking barbeque; set XL Big Green EGG grid at felt line; enjoy easy in and out with the Big Green EGG convEGGtor; bake pizza high in dome.

Fits Large and XL BGE; Tapered design for precise temperature control; Maintains vent settings, open or closed; 304 Stainless - All weather cap; Rust resistant.

The Ang-L Brackets fit the XL Big Green Egg?. The XL Ang-L Brackets are an alternative to the XL Lump Reducing Rings. The Brackets take a slightly different approach to managing lump in the xl firebox. With the Lump Reducing Rings, you shrink the overall diameter of the firebox. With the Ang-L Brackets, you partition t

I also have the BGE wooden table which is great, but not cheap, found mine used online from a dude who was moving out of state.
                                Originally posted by stevo
                                Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

Working...
                                X