• Show
Clear All

Texas/Oregon

Originally posted by BERT View Post
    Yeah but he's at least twice the coach Mack is/was
    Ouch.

Comment

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
      There's a long list of who he passed on, too.

When Briles first got to Baylor, he was a cry-baby about a few things. I didn't like it. Also, he's 44-31 at Baylor...(78-59 in college).

Comment

Yeah but he's at least twice the coach Mack is/was
        Please show the numbers that prove that.

Comment

Originally posted by Slowhand View Post
          Unless you're happy with Baylor's only Big 12 championship, you of all people better hope Briles never leaves. LOL.

Comment

Unless you're happy with Baylor's only Big 12 championship, you of all people better hope Briles never leaves. LOL.
            I certainly hope he doesn't, but I'm not confident.

Comment

He can't because they don't exist. I'm afraid that everyone will rue the day that they ran Mack out of town because the next guy in may not be able to deliver. We'll see.

IMO, the best the 40 Acres can hope for is Charlie Strong. They won't get Fisher, and I don't think any of the other guys can run the show. I'm not convinced Strong can either, but he'd be the same type of hire Mack was -- a guy who has had some success at lesser schools and seems to be well liked. Either way, if they can't get a QB, it won't matter if they resurrected Lombardi to coach...

Comment

Originally posted by juiceweezl View Post
                I'm afraid that everyone will rue the day that they ran Mack out of town because the next guy in may not be able to deliver. We'll see.
                Still with this tired shit?

If the next coach can't deliver, you're not any worse off since it's apparent now after 4 years of mediocrity that Mack can't deliver anymore either.

Comment

Originally posted by Hmbre97 View Post
                  Still with this tired shit?

If the next coach can't deliver, you're not any worse off since it's apparent now after 4 years of mediocrity that Mack can't deliver anymore either.
                  I'm more inclined to agree with this statement.

Comment

Originally posted by slowhand View Post
                    lol!
                    Originally posted by BradM
                    But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                    Originally posted by Leah
                    In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by juiceweezl View Post
                      He can't because they don't exist. I'm afraid that everyone will rue the day that they ran Mack out of town because the next guy in may not be able to deliver. We'll see.

IMO, the best the 40 Acres can hope for is Charlie Strong. They won't get Fisher, and I don't think any of the other guys can run the show. I'm not convinced Strong can either, but he'd be the same type of hire Mack was -- a guy who has had some success at lesser schools and seems to be well liked. Either way, if they can't get a QB, it won't matter if they resurrected Lombardi to coach...

And you can't prove I'm wrong either.

And you don't seem to get it, Mack was out this year or next. You keep talking like he can't be replaced. Guess what, he wasn't going to be there forever

Comment

How many times has Baylor beaten Texas the past 4yrs?

Comment

How many times has Baylor beaten Texas the past 4yrs?
                          He's 3-3 vs Briles at Baylor.

Comment

And you can't prove I'm wrong either.

And you don't seem to get it, Mack was out this year or next. You keep talking like he can't be replaced. Guess what, he wasn't going to be there forever
                            You have to be the biggest mouth breather on this site. Clearly no one can match your vast knowledge and understanding of collegiate sports.

Art Briles overall record: 78-60. His best season ever was this one at 11-2. He had 3 losses in one other season. The other 9 seasons he has coached have had 4 losses or more. Bowl record is 2-5 including 0-1 in BCS bowl. His teams have finished the season ranked only 2 years (including this one). Remember last season? It's the one where he went 4-5 in conference play. So in Mack's worst year as you proclaim, he almost won the conference championship but the guy you claim is twice the coach went 4-5 last year in conference play. Keep your focus on whatever number is just in front of you since your small brain can't handle the big picture. Guess that explains why you think kids going to college choose the school that will get them to the NFL the fastest.

More numbers to look at.

Mack overall record 244-122-1. He had 14 consecutive seasons under his belt of at least 9 wins going back to his days at UNC. He has a national title, played for another, probably should have played for another one as well, and has a 13-8 bowl record including 3-1 in BCS games. I know those are bigger numbers than you're used to working with, so read slowly.

I don't disagree that the team hadn't won as many games lately as everyone wanted and probably as they should have. I also know they missed on a few kids at QB (Gilbert & Ash) -- both of whom were highly ranked recruits that every school wanted. I also know that if they had even an average QB this season, they would have been a completely different team. Maybe Ash could have been that guy if he wasn't hurt. All I know is that when you have a proven record of greatness, you don't just abandon ship without giving it a chance to turnaround or having a solid plan in place. Mack fired Diaz, and look what happened to the defense. The running game came on strong too. The team was headed in an upward direction, and who knows what would have happened next year. There was no plan on a new coach, and it was handled in the worst possible way. We'll see who they end up hiring. I don't see Fisher coming in for the gig. I don't want Briles as he has a bunch of thugs and hasn't proven shit as far as I'm concerned. Adams isn't coming, and Saban isn't either. I think you're going to see Sumlin and aTm exposed next year too. Duke was crushing them. Strong is the best possible candidate they have. I'm hopeful they can get him and that it works out. Otherwise, the best plan was the one already in place...

Comment

First, I never once said this was Mack's worst year. Once again, you put words in my mouth, professor. Second, you keep on living in the way past, I'm more worried about the recent past and present.

You can pull their records up all you want but you have to agree with one thing, Mack has had the superior talent to work with on his team.

Why are you so high on Strong? I think he's good but that's at Louisville for crying out loud. Who's Adams that you speak of? I think Jim Mora would be a good hire. I like what he's done at UCLA.

Mack is easier replcaced than you think he is (there, that alone should be good for another 5 paragraph response from your intellegent self)

Comment

First, I never once said this was Mack's worst year. Once again, you put words in my mouth, professor.
                                All you've done is proclaim how much he sucks -- period. You act like he's the worst coach in the history of football. I'm calling a spade a spade.

Second, you keep on living in the way past, I'm more worried about the recent past and present.
                                Looking at an entire body of work, at a career, is not living in the past. A zebra can't change his stripes. The larger the window you look through, the better equipped you are to see what's really there. Again, Mack is a proven winner, at multiple institutions, has done so the right way, and has made a mint for UT. He acknowledged they needed to do better, and he was working to improve (bye bye Diaz). You can't make decisions based on what you think is happening right in front of you without looking at everything. Like I stated, they had no plan in place to replace him with someone proven to be the same type guy. It was totally handled wrong, and it doesn't seem like the guy they will bring in will be more qualified/better than Mack. Since you're so concerned about the present, have you ordered the moving van to Saban's house yet? I mean he lost 2 games in a row now.

You can pull their records up all you want but you have to agree with one thing, Mack has had the superior talent to work with on his team.
                                So Case McCoy > Bryce Petty? Is that what you're saying is superior talent? Here I thought everyone had agreed that if McCoy could hit the broadside of a barn that UT would have beaten Baylor, won the Big 12, and been in a BCS game. Heck, I thought we had all agreed that an average QB would have given them a chance to beat Oregon the way they ran the ball and the way the defense played. Go listen to all the analysts that have broken it down -- they haven't been able to replace Colt. You talk about talent, and they recruit top classes all the time. Gilbert was ranked #1 in some rankings in his class. Guess what -- he didn't pan out and everyone in the country would have missed on him. Ash was ranked 4th -- the jury is still out, but it doesn't look good to this point. Recruiting is a gamble in so many ways. A kid can be a stud in high school, be highly touted and sought after, and then be a dud. Connor Wood -- ranked 9th in the country and now transferred because he sucked. Meanwhile, you know the kid at UCF who just torched Baylor? He's the same one that may end up being the first QB taken in the draft. Apparently no one is bothering to ask why he ended up at UCF and not a big school. His high school QB rank? It was "NR" as in not ranked. He was a 2 star recruit. Do you see how it works? They missed on QB despite having the higher ranked kids. Sometimes it just happens. QB is more important in today's football style than ever. That blame falls on Mack and his staff, but IMO, that's the area that has held them back (after firing Diaz). Oh, and remind me where Alabama's recruiting classes have ranked the last few years? Didn't the almighty Saban just lose 2 in a row...and with better talent? Let's just look at the present.

Why are you so high on Strong? I think he's good but that's at Louisville for crying out loud. Who's Adams that you speak of? I think Jim Mora would be a good hire. I like what he's done at UCLA.
                                Strong is the same type of hire that Mack was -- a guy that had some success at a smaller program, carries an immense respect as an up and coming guy, and he can recruit too. He's also 3-1 in bowl games that were his teams (he lost the only game he coached at Florida which was a bowl). He worked under Meyer and Zook there too. I think he makes the most sense and would be the perfect hire. Oh, and he's 1-0 in BCS bowls.

Mora is 19-8 in 2 seasons of college coaching -- both at UCLA. He went 6-4 and 6-3 in conference play. This during a time when USC was awful, stripped of scholarships, on probation, etc. Meanwhile Harbaugh left Stanford and Kelly left Oregon. Basically, that was a pretty easy turnaround at UCLA. I think Strong has the better resume and is the better coach. Again, that's just my opinion.

Mack is easier replcaced than you think he is (there, that alone should be good for another 5 paragraph response from your intellegent self)
                                We'll see if he's easier replaced than I and many others think. History sides with my opinion. Guys that are as successful as Mack, as Bob Stoops, as Saban, as Pete Carroll, etc. aren't very easily replaced regardless of the draw of the school. Oh, and the word is intelligent. At least use spell check.

Comment

Working...
                                X