Charlie Strong to Texas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SVT Lurch View Post
    That's awesome. I hope those rules are all true.
    No kidding. That's the way all teams should be run. Better prepares them for life, even if those lives don't include the NFL.
    Originally posted by BradM
    But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
    Originally posted by Leah
    In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by SVT Lurch View Post
      That's awesome. I hope those rules are all true.
      Exactly. Because the 4 and 5 star recruits will go somewhere else. Blue chips don't sign a LOI to be treated like they're in the military.

Not sure how Strong can pull off some of those rules. They can't all live in the same campus dorm. The NCAA does not allow it anymore. There are no more athletes only dorms.

"If a player misses a class, he runs until it hurts. If he misses two classes, his entire position unit runs. If he misses three, the position coach runs. The position coaches don't want to run." Poor coaches are going to be running their asses off. Lol!
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Chas_svo View Post
        Lmao
        I hope your "lmao" wasn't at the rules. If it is, I can only assume you've never played football in Texas much less AT Texas. Strong was at Louisville for a year before he won the division title twice in a row before accepting this job. For kids that aren't paying to go to one of the most prestigious universities in the country, that's a pretty reasonable deal.
        "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

I saw the pic of his "strength coach", and the guy looks like he broke a #9 chain to escape from a prison farm! Dude looks nasty! LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by jdgregory84 View Post
            I hope your "lmao" wasn't at the rules. If it is, I can only assume you've never played football in Texas much less AT Texas. Strong was at Louisville for a year before he won the division title twice in a row before accepting this job. For kids that aren't paying to go to one of the most prestigious universities in the country, that's a pretty reasonable deal.
            You misunderstood. When I was attending UT one of my roommates was a trainer. I'm very familiar with the program, and it will be way more than culture shock.
            sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
            17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
            13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
            86 SVO - Sold
            '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
            01 TJ - new toy - Sold
            65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
              No kidding. That's the way all teams should be run. Better prepares them for life, even if those lives don't include the NFL.
              Agree, but to think that will be followed to the letter is a bit over zealous. What's funny is how 99% of people will tell you they're all for something like this...and then won't have a problem with someone like Manziel taking online classes only and never coming to class. College sports should always be about school and preparing someone for the rest of their lives before making them a professional athlete.

I also think that if a kid wants to jump from high school straight to the pros (in any sport), then let him try it. Enough will fail that eventually the idea will fade away. Math will tell you how many kids make it to the pros in anything -- that's why they should all get their degree while they can.

Comment

Originally posted by Chas_svo View Post
                You misunderstood. When I was attending UT one of my roommates was a trainer. I'm very familiar with the program, and it will be way more than culture shock.
                No question - this will be a BIG wakeup call. I believe we'll have a lot of players transfer and that's perfectly fine.
                Originally posted by davbrucas
                I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

You think your big time star players from the hood will be happy with this? 90 percent of them have never had a daddy figure.

Comment

Originally posted by juiceweezl View Post
                    Agree, but to think that will be followed to the letter is a bit over zealous. What's funny is how 99% of people will tell you they're all for something like this...and then won't have a problem with someone like Manziel taking online classes only and never coming to class. College sports should always be about school and preparing someone for the rest of their lives before making them a professional athlete.

I also think that if a kid wants to jump from high school straight to the pros (in any sport), then let him try it. Enough will fail that eventually the idea will fade away. Math will tell you how many kids make it to the pros in anything -- that's why they should all get their degree while they can.

This is what is killing college basketball right now with that stupid one year rule. Personally, I think baseball has it right. You either go straight from high school or you go to school for at least 3yrs.

Comment

Originally posted by slow99 View Post
                      No question - this will be a BIG wakeup call. I believe we'll have a lot of players transfer and that's perfectly fine.
                      While we might lose some talent in that, I bet we lose all the problems. They can go and poison some other program. Fine by me!
                      sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
                      17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
                      13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
                      86 SVO - Sold
                      '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
                      01 TJ - new toy - Sold
                      65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

Texas football coach Charlie Strong has kicked at least six players off the team, in addition to suspending the two Longhorns players Thursday after they were arrested for sexual assault.

Wow. He is not messing around. There is no grey area with this guy.

Comment

Originally posted by TRAXX View Post
                          http://espn.go.com/college-football/...e-players-team

Wow. He is not messing around. There is no grey area with this guy.
                          Good for him. More programs need hardasses like that.
                          Originally posted by BradM
                          But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                          Originally posted by Leah
                          In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                            Good for him. More programs need hardasses like that.

What's sad is that's really not even being hardassed, more common sense than anything. Back in our day we'd have been booted for disrespect if we even talked back to the coach.

Comment

One of my friends growing up played for Brown and in the NFL for a bit. If you were one their stars you were sheltered and babied. Said the program would cover up any crimes they could especially if your initials were VY or RW. Good to see Strong putting the foot down early but hopefully his bosses trust in him more than a year or two while he rebuilds the program.

Rumor is 5 more pissed hot (no idea what) and most likely be kicked off the team. If that happens that will be 12 kids, wow. Most of these kids would have not gone to college if it wasn't for football and they are throwing their futures away.

Comment

Good for strong, I hope he continues to throw down the hammer.

As for the players, you can take the kid out of the hood, but you can't take the hood out of the kid.

Comment

Working...
                                X