No announcement yet.

Degree from Tech of lesser value?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got my masters from Tech and so did one of my daughters, so I am a little biased. (Also have two others daughters with degrees from UT)

Honestly I think going to a university straight out of high school is a not good idea. If you are going to a university to just get your basics out of the way, you are wasting money. Go to a local community college and get your core done there for 1/8th the cost. You will graduate with the same degree, but without the $60,000 dollars in loans.
    Last edited by S_K; 01-23-2014, 10:27 AM. Reason: spelling errors

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
      So I'll be going to Texas Tech in the fall. Getting all basics done local for cheaper. You know how that goes!
      Guess I'm the only one who read this.
      Originally posted by davbrucas
      I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Originally posted by slow99 View Post
        Stop with the reading comprehension around here. Remember most of these guys haven't even seen a College campus other than from the road, let alone taken an English class since they dropped out of High School.

Comment

Yeah, but how do I invest the difference?

Comment

Originally posted by Silverback View Post
            Stop with the reading comprehension around here. Remember most of these guys haven't even seen a College campus other than from the road, let alone taken an English class since they dropped out of High School.
            That cuts deep, brah....

Comment

For starters, I have to question your judgment by asking this question on a site where the majority of members have never sniffed a college campus.

Of course the college matters, it only makes sense. Of course, your major matters as well. When you have a population of tens of thousands, anecdotal one-offs mean little. Finding the numbers and doing the math shouldn't be that difficult. A quick Google search on my end showed that the average business graduate from Tech last May averaged $46k compensation (adjusted for the Energy Consulting component) while the comparable UT grad number was $56k.

That being said, you are not a statistic. Be the best student and person you can while you are there and you'll have no problems. I graduated magna cum laude from UNT with a Bachelors in Economics ... for my profession, nobody even looks or has ever asked me about my undergrad experience - it's all about the Masters program and CFA Charter.

I have several friends who are Tech grads who are intelligent, articulate people that do well for themselves. On a different level, regarding members from this site, Strychnine and SVT Lurch come to mind. One of my best friends (and a mentor) earned his undergrad at Tech and is one of the smartest investment guys you'll ever meet - his track record is unbelievable.

Don't get too caught up in the statistics - rise to the top of your peer group and good things will happen for you.
              Spot on, IMO.

Comment

So I'll be going to Texas Tech in the fall. Getting all basics done local for cheaper. Y
                My point is that South Plains is MUCH cheaper for the same class. Many times you even get the same professor. They have an excellent credit transfer program. Ignore the hype and the trash talk -Save the $$$.

Comment

Originally posted by S_K View Post
                  My point is that South Plains is MUCH cheaper for the same class. Many times you even get the same professor. They have an excellent credit transfer program. Ignore the hype and the trash talk -Save the $$$.
                  Agreed. I went to TCC for 1.5 years to get my general ed stuff done, then transferred all the credits into my college to get my bachelors. worked well and made the student loan payment a lot more tolerable.

Comment

Thanks again all for the encouraging words. I just made this thread cause lately i noticed -- I got the thousand yard stare. I'm getting done with all the basics and its time to play with the big boys. Can be overwhelming

Here is what im going for. Became friends with a geologist professor at school and he said these days its good money. (couldnt find it on the Texas Tech site got tired of looking

Welcome to the Department of Petroleum and Geosystems Engineering at The University of Texas at Austin. Petroleum engineering is an exciting field of professionals dedicated to providing energy that powers a modern society.
                    WH

Comment

(couldnt find it on the Texas Tech site got tired of looking

http://www.pge.utexas.edu/
                      Your link goes to a petroleum and geosystems page. If you're into oil and gas then TTU's PE program is here: http://www.depts.ttu.edu/pe/

Not all schools do everything though so if it's geosystems engr you want (more hydro then petro) then don't look to TTU. But there is a geology program: http://www.depts.ttu.edu/gesc/

Comment

Yes thank you for the link. I knew it was in there somewhere

I looked around but UT doesnt seem to have an oil and gas program. Or im blind. I would much rather go to UT because its so much closer to DFW where i live

Tech is all the way in lubbock
                        WH

Comment

What's your end goal? Do you have a specific career in mind - or just the O&G industry in general?

Comment

My end goal is engineering, specifically petroleum

I have a lot of family in that business and they make a lot of money and to be honest i want to make a lot of money too
                            WH

Comment

Good plan. Sounds like you're probably looking upstream, more with an E&P (exploration & production) company then?

(Downstream - processing, pipeline, etc - tends to be more chemical and mechanical)

I know most kids going into college don't know that far ahead, but this is part of my niche so I'm always curious to talk to people.

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
                                Good plan. Sounds like you're probably looking upstream, more with an E&P (exploration & production) company then?

(Downstream - processing, pipeline, etc - tends to be more chemical and mechanical)

I know most kids going into college don't know that far ahead, but this is part of my niche so I'm always curious to talk to people.
                                PM sent!
                                WH

Comment

Working...
                                X