Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buffing out headlights: Whats your process?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
    I recently tried the 3M kit and was very pleased with the results. What sealer are y'all talking about that needs to be put onto the lenses after you polish them?
    A UV protectant.
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by CWO View Post
      Once you use bug spray you won't use another method again. It doesn't work on really badly etched or pitted, just the yellow and haze. It takes about 30 seconds using a few paper towels.
      Lasts a month

Comment

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
        I recently tried the 3M kit and was very pleased with the results. What sealer are y'all talking about that needs to be put onto the lenses after you polish them?
        Clear coat of some kind. Its on there from the factory, and part of the shitty looks on a lot of headlights is simply when that clear begins to be eaten away. That's actually been my biggest problem, because you've got to sand that flat or else it will still show up when the process is done. Simple yellowing is easy to fix by sanding and clear coating. Its when the clear is heavily damaged/partially stripped away, that the problems start.

Still haven't got an old set on a 10 year old car to look new again, or at least close. Just buying an new ebay set works a hell of a lot better. But I still think there is probably a "perfect" method, although I think it involves a lot of work. Well, a lot more work than most people want to put into headlights anyway. Especially when you can get a decent new set for most older vehicles for about $130.

Doesn't seem to be any quick way out with the 10+ year old sets. It basically becomes full on bodywork. Gotta sand, sand, sand. Then hope it looks alright and that there weren't any hidden flaws that made the whole process not even worth it.
        WH

Comment

I tried making an old set look new worked my ass off still not perfect. Ended up buying new ones looks a lot better. IMO don't waste your time trying to restore

Comment

Originally posted by War Machine View Post
            Lasts a month
            Don't tell my wife's car that I did in January. Either way, really.

Comment

What I've found is that you can indeed make them look a good deal better. But they'll never be new again, or even close. I've only ever been able to get about a 50% improvement at most.

Which does put them back up to par. Where they don't look like shit, and look like what you'd want a 10 year old car's headlights to look like. But if they're too far gone, a new ebay pair is the best bet. Does a world of good for the looks of the front end.
              WH

Comment

Old thread, but I'm curious if anyone has personal experience with Sylvania restoration kit. Thinking of using this product since it comes with a UV block white coat.

Comment

Working...
                X