Thinking about buying a Cherokee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about buying a Cherokee

Like the title says I'm seriously thinking about buying a 4x4 Cherokee for a DD. This will be to replace the 1 ton Dodge van I currently drive.
    Any suggestions for years to avoid or common expensive problems? I'm leaning toward a 96 or earlier because the seating position fits me better. Something about the drivers floorpan on the 01 I had made for a very uncomfortable long distance driver.

Originally posted by 4eyedwillie View Post
    Like the title says I'm seriously thinking about buying a 4x4 Cherokee for a DD. This will be to replace the 1 ton Dodge van I currently drive.
    Any suggestions for years to avoid or common expensive problems? I'm leaning toward a 96 or earlier because the seating position fits me better. Something about the drivers floorpan on the 01 I had made for a very uncomfortable long distance driver.
    The later models are much nicer inside. I'd recommend 97-01 honestly, they are so much nicer inside, and I really didn't notice much of a difference between the two as far as room - and I'm a big dude. The sport 2 door models have more room in them if you're concerned about that. Aim for the 4.0L (of course) and common issues are leaking rear main seals, you can easily check this by looking at the back of the oil pan for leaks. However as serious as a rear main seal sounds, on a 4.0L is really easy to replace, just drop the pan, remove the main cap, and knock the bearing out, slide a new one in. Other issues are subframe damage if it's been wheeled. Check to make sure all the doors close tight and are even all around the door frame. Also some years have been known to have rust forming around the lift gate.

They are cheap as shit, and you can find just about any XJ Under 3k. 4.0L's are excellent engines and regularly run to 300k even with poor maintenance.
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
      The later models are much nicer inside. I'd recommend 97-01 honestly, they are so much nicer inside, and I really didn't notice much of a difference between the two as far as room - and I'm a big dude. The sport 2 door models have more room in them if you're concerned about that. Aim for the 4.0L (of course) and common issues are leaking rear main seals, you can easily check this by looking at the back of the oil pan for leaks. However as serious as a rear main seal sounds, on a 4.0L is really easy to replace, just drop the pan, remove the main cap, and knock the bearing out, slide a new one in. Other issues are subframe damage if it's been wheeled. Check to make sure all the doors close tight and are even all around the door frame.

They are cheap as shit, and you can find just about any XJ Under 3k. 4.0L's are excellent engines and regularly run to 300k even with poor maintenance.

Something about the floorpan shape where my foot sits for the accelorator pedal makes my leg hurt severly after just a little driving in my 01 that I had.

I'm not sure what the deal was. My 96 wasn't like that. I'm somewhat familiar with 2wd cherokees but I've never owned a 4x4 one.

Comment

Originally posted by 4eyedwillie View Post
        Something about the floorpan shape where my foot sits for the accelorator pedal makes my leg hurt severly after just a little driving in my 01 that I had.

I'm not sure what the deal was. My 96 wasn't like that. I'm somewhat familiar with 2wd cherokees but I've never owned a 4x4 one.
        I had a '94 Jeep Cherokee Laredo. Some of them (including mine) had issues with the fuel lines and the fuel tanks. We went through 4 fuel pumps in less than a year, and finally got rid of it.
        It wasn't something that Jeep ever acknowledged or recalled, but you'll see it quite a bit on the internet. IIRC, they finally took care of the issue in the '98 and newer models.

Comment

I've owned a 96 and just sold my 2000 model. I will be buying another 98-02 soon. The interiors are much nicer and much more comfortable to me. I'm 6. 2. And I fit just fine.

Comment

I noted the floorpan shape bothered me in my xj's as well. But you get used to it. I'm 6'2". The 4.0's are torquey bastards.

Comment

Not a bad price on this one.

1991 Jeep Cherokee Sport. 4 Liter 6 cylinder, Good Condition 119,000 Miles, 4 Wheel Drive, Automatic Transmission, AM/FM CD Player, Cold A/C Inspection is Current, Good mechanical condition. This would be a great student vehicle. No Trades Please!! Call Ron @ 972-965-1431.
              Originally posted by Jester
              Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.
              He will spend the rest of the day wondering if he is gay.
              Originally posted by Denny
              What the fuck ever, you fucking fragile faggot.
              FORGTN SOLD1ER - xbox gamer

Comment

Make sure if its lifted that the unibody is ok. Usually if its tweaked the doors will be out of alignment or hard to open/close. I really enjoyed my 98, my only complaint was how small the rear door openings are.
                http://www.amazon.com/Viralution-Don...don+kehlenbeck

www.facebook.com/TheViralution

Comment

I would look at 97-99.The 00-01's came with lp30's and they have the infamous 0331 head which is notorious for cracking.

Comment

will a sledge hammer cure the floor pan issue?
                    http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

I just bought a 96' that is unmolested, bone stock, and well cared for, and now I might be reselling it soon b/c of a potential change with my job where I'll start having to commute more. Runs and drives great....

70' Chevelle RagTop
                      (Forever Under Construction)

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”- Thomas A Edison

Comment

My brother in law is selling his 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 5.2L with lots of extras like brush guards and running boards. All leather...I mean when this was new, it was the 100% optioned model.

99,000 miles and all that needs replacing is the fuel pump (I guess they didnt' fix this one) but it runs/drives fine once your prime it once or twice. I think he wants $4500...so yes they can be had for cheap. I know he's never done anything 4x4ish with it...he's a city slicker.

Comment

They also tend to have overheating issues. So if you plan on spending a lot of time on a freeway in the middle of the summer, you may want to reconsider.
                          Tera 4:1 + 4.88's = Slowest rig on here
                          Baja-Bob.com

Comment

Neither one of the xjs I owned had an overheating problem. Both were pretty much problem free.

Comment

Originally posted by Stunter Bob View Post
                              Neither one of the xjs I owned had an overheating problem. Both were pretty much problem free.
                              Just something I see more often than not on the largest Jeep forum in the state.
                              Tera 4:1 + 4.88's = Slowest rig on here
                              Baja-Bob.com

Comment

Working...
                              X