Austin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Austin

I have a relative that is moving to Austin. I have only passed through there. What areas do I need to tell them to avoid, or where are the nicer areas to live?

Has anyone lived there that can give some quick insight?

Thx,
    Randy

If their work is north of UT then move to Round Rock or Georgetown, if it's south then live within walking/biking distance of work because traffic sucks balls.

The worst parts of Austin are about as dangerous as downtown Fort Worth, as in not at all.

Comment

We lived in Hyde Park north of campus and loved it. Great neighborhood.
      Originally posted by davbrucas
      I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

North East areas, Round Rock, Georgetown, Pflugerville

West area, Westlake, Deerpark

Central area, Highland Park, Hyde Park

South area, South of William Cannon to the town of Manchaca

South West, Dripping Springs

Comment

Seriously considered moving there. Ultimately ditched the idea because real estate is crazy-high. You can find reasonable pricing about 15 miles from downtown, but you'll spend 3-5 hours a day stuck in traffic. Too bad the secret is out because it's a cool town.

Comment

Originally posted by BLAKE View Post
            Seriously considered moving there. Ultimately ditched the idea because real estate is crazy-high. You can find reasonable pricing about 15 miles from downtown, but you'll spend 3-5 hours a day stuck in traffic. Too bad the secret is out because it's a cool town.
            i live in georgetown and don't spend more than 35 minutes driving to or from the north side of down town. i do work 7-330 so i have that going for me but even if i work late till 5ish it still only takes 45-50 minutes. the whole 3-5 hours a day is simply not true if you live north. if you live south and insist on taking 35 you could be screwed but there are easily 5+ options for driving south.

Comment

Thanks for the input. He and his wife are going to look in the Round Rock area for now. They want to rent for a year before they purchase a house.

R

Comment

Originally posted by likeitfast55 View Post
                I have a relative that is moving to Austin. I have only passed through there. What areas do I need to tell them to avoid, or where are the nicer areas to live?

Has anyone lived there that can give some quick insight?

Thx,
                Randy
                pretty much anywhere but east austin is good. central east austin is transitioning back to nice but is very hit and miss still. prices with in 7-10 miles of down town in a descent neighborhood will cost you big. living north west is descent and somewhat affordable but is basically a shopping center pretending to be a residential area. screw living in round rock. it has no character and neither do the people. traffic is 5x worse in round rock any day than in austin or surrounding towns. west austin is very nice but is also the most expensive and snobby. south austin is all the hipsters but kinda fun and always active. north east has a couple descent areas but overall still sucks. all surrounding towns minus round rock are pretty great. of course this is all just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by smrr1 View Post
                  i live in georgetown and don't spend more than 35 minutes driving to or from the north side of down town. i do work 7-330 so i have that going for me but even if i work late till 5ish it still only takes 45-50 minutes. the whole 3-5 hours a day is simply not true if you live north. if you live south and insist on taking 35 you could be screwed but there are easily 5+ options for driving south.
                  That's good to hear. I spent a few days there 18 months ago looking at houses and purposely drove during rush hour and that wasn't my experience, but I'm sure it's not universal. I was mainly looking NW of downtown.

Comment

Death.
                    Taxes.
                    Gridlock on 35 in Austin.
                    I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

Comment

If you take Mopac from Round Rock to South Austin during rush hour, it's a minimum of a one hour trip.

I did it several times both ways during rush Hour when I lived there. My best friend used to drive to and from South Austin (Wm cannon and manchaca) to Nw Austin (Cedar Park area) at 7 & 5, and it was about an hour for minimum for 20 miles.

Comment

Yeah, Mopac sucks dick too.

Comment

It may have improved, but it used to be that you can drive north or south without much problem, except for 8&5. East and west commutes sucked most any time of day.
                          sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
                          17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
                          13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
                          86 SVO - Sold
                          '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
                          01 TJ - new toy - Sold
                          65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

last time I went down, I hit georgetown at 5:45 and wasnt past austin until almost 7.
                            "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Austin sucks balls. In the late 90's it was awesome living there.

You couldn't pay me enough to move back.... Well, maybe you could, but it would require a second comma.

Comment

Working...
                              X