Degree from Tech of lesser value?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Degree from Tech of lesser value?

So I'll be going to Texas Tech in the fall. Getting all basics done local for cheaper. You know how that goes! I dont want to say what for because i want the broad and general response.

Well anyway i over heard a couple of students talking in the commons about how

"A degree from Texas Tech aint worth the paper its printed on!"

Yes i know probably nothing but hearsay. But maybe there are some hiring managers around that might offer insight? Would you look less favorably on a degree from Tech than say UT? Or T. AM?
    WH

Being a Longhorns fan, yes I would not think twice about hiring you...but then again I wouldn't give you the time of day anyways.
    Wanna see my care face???

Comment

Schools are not what is important its the degree, schools may give you a leg up if the hiring manager is from the same school.

Comment

Sheeeeit! One of the smartest guys I've ever met, Strychnine here on the board, is a Texas Tech grad, and all he's got is a Bachelor's. He's also one of the most successful dudes on the board, to boot. Don't listen to morons.
        ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Depends on what you're going for. The firm I'm with recruits people from Tech a lot.

Comment

Kids know fuck all about the real world.

Unless you go to some ivy league school which costs a fuckton so you can have an alumni support network, i wouldnt worry about it. I have friends who went to Brown, A&M and Syracuse ... Guess who has the better career and makes more than all of them combined? The guy who went to Sam Houston.

The school doesnt define your life path, you do.

Comment

I have and do make hiring decisions at HP. I don't even look at the collage a candidate goes to.

Heck, I went to West Monroe High School (only one year of college). The same high school as those guys from Duck Dynasty and I'm a pretty well paid technical consultant/architect. The school you went to rarely means anything. My kid will be going to UNT or some other state school unless he gets some sort of scholarship.

Comment

Thanks everybody for taking the time! Yes i know jack squat about the hiring scene or which school is preferred. Its all very intimidating to be honest. Its like if you dont choose right youre screwed! Some nights i stay up worrying about it

One I'm going to:

But I also gave consider UT: https://www.utexas.edu/
                WH

Comment

I wonder if it is?

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
                    Thanks everybody for taking the time! Yes i know jack squat about the hiring scene or which school is preferred. Its all very intimidating to be honest. Its like if you dont choose right youre screwed! Some nights i stay up worrying about it

One I'm going to:

http://www.ttu.edu/
                    Do what the fuck you want, and don't doubt yourself. Just don't be a dickhole about it, and work hard. As long as you're going for something useful, the rest should take care of itself. Don't skip class, don't skip studying, and don't argue with your professors. You'll be fine.

Comment

Degree is the key, not necessarily the university. In this state though, A&M or UT will afford you a number of opportunities that may not have otherwise existed.

Comment

Originally posted by Blakeski View Post
                        Being a Longhorns fan, yes I would not think twice about hiring you...but then again I wouldn't give you the time of day anyways.
                        This retard has HARDCORE tattooed across his chest. Don't listen to him.

School doesn't matter as much as the degree does, unless it's from say University of Phoenix.

My BIL recruits from Tech for an O&G software company. He does just fine.
                        Originally posted by BradM
                        But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                        Originally posted by Leah
                        In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                          This retard has HARDCORE tattooed across his chest. Don't listen to him.
                          That made me laugh. I'm going to guess his decision making ability has him checking the hourly box.

Comment

FYI OP, I'm currently pursuing a degree from Tarleton. Hide and watch me get a job when I graduate here in a couple of semesters.

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
                              I wonder if it is?
                              http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Working...
                              X