Shots fired at downtown Dallas protest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jewozzy View Post
    There's not a lot of training you can do on that scenario, like you said it's rare. I trained at least a month and a half out of the year when I was on a felony warrant squad and that still wasn't enough.
    This is what I am getting at. It seems you are fine accepting that "shit happens" even though you admit there are times where police lack the training necessary to perform the job. That has been my point all along. It has zero to do with FTP like your dumbass counterpart who has dismissed all counter points as being hatred towards the police. After the LA bank robbery it was made clear officers lacked the training and firepower necessary to engage more than one shooter with automatic rifles in a city setting and did something about it. I hope, for their safety they take a good look at this and use it to their advantage for theirs and others' safety.

Comment

• Originally posted by SS Junk View Post
      This is what I am getting at. It seems you are fine accepting that "shit happens" even though you admit there are times where police lack the training necessary to perform the job. That has been my point all along. It has zero to do with FTP like your dumbass counterpart who has dismissed all counter points as being hatred towards the police. After the LA bank robbery it was made clear officers lacked the training and firepower necessary to engage more than one shooter with automatic rifles in a city setting and did something about it. I hope, for their safety they take a good look at this and use it to their advantage for theirs and others' safety.
      I was in a specialized unit so fortunately I was able to train weekly and go out of state to specialized training facilities. Your average patrolman doesn't have that luxury and its sad because they will be the true first responders. Unfortunately, its not feasible to think you can take whole departments or even whole sections that are not specialized and get them the true training they deserve. Equipment is easy to supply because that's a monetary issue. Training becomes a manpower issue and that isn't something that can be solved really. I agree better training would help with a lot of issues but this was a fluke really. Better training in my opinion should be for patrol officers dealing with mentally ill but that is a different debate.

Comment

• Thank you for approaching this with logic and reason.

Comment

Do you think the video provided of the cop being killed at the pillars could be used to educate and train first responding officers in this kind of situation? Because what I am picking up, especially from Captain Buffalo Chip is your tactics are just fine the way they are. There's no need for further training regardless of the fact that it is extremely rare to engage a shooter with thousands of civilians close by in a city setting. The smug arrogance is uncanny..
          Let me just add to this a little from a cops point of view. Now I have no idea and may be just speculating. You can't see what was down range of the cop or off to the side in that video. But there may have been a lot of people down range of the guy. He may have been looking for a better angle to engage the guy and just got over taken. We train to stop the threat but we also train not to take out people caught in the cross fire especially with a rifle. The bad guys don't give a fuck.
          Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Thank you for approaching this with logic and reason.
            No we all understand the logic, but it's not every day they are responding to a tactical situation

Agressive tactical training for officer everyman is just going to put officers even more on edge during a traffic stop or responding to a convenient store owner calling about a man with a gun.

Hindsight is always 20/20. If you want to get that radical against active shooter situations you would rather see the national guard riding shotgun while the officer does patrol work.

Again it's all going down a slippery slope of a nationalized and central police force like the KGB or a radical enforcement agency.

I mean if we are talking training I would rather see highschool classes talking about real life situations, loans, interest rates, job wage rates, insurance education, and how an attitude of respect will get you further in life than any singular movement ever could

Sure training would have absolutely helped, but so would having flash bangs issued to every police officer

Comment

Three of the officers killed were veterans. 1 had 3 tours in Iraq, 1 was a Marine and former peace keeper in Iraq, and the other was a former Army Ranger. I'd say it came down to shit just hit the fan and they were on the losing side.

For the rest of your statement I don't take it as an us against them or I could have quoted other post's. I see it as Frost isn't taking the totality of the circumstances when he is pointing out why it was illegal for them to use a robot to kill the suspect.

There's not a lot of training you can do on that scenario, like you said it's rare. I trained at least a month and a half out of the year when I was on a felony warrant squad and that still wasn't enough. All of that is in addition to actually performing the job the rest of the year. From what I heard from one of the officers that was shot is the Dart officer killed at the pillar was attempting to draw fire away from the two officers that were down and engage from cover. Problem is the guy was advancing much faster than the officer was able to get to the pillar. It is what it is and the outcome sucks. Tactics aren't always to blame for an officers death. I forget the video but there was a trooper in SC I believe that was killed by a single shot from a .25 after he had already placed 5 to the chest with a 38 on a suspect. The .25 just happened to hit him in the armpit and traveled through his body. POS suspect lived and trooper died. Sometimes shit happens.
              And I'm seeing it as a creeping of the state into violations of the rule of law and yet more violations of the constitution in the name of expediency because due process is costly and this was a really bad guy. Doesn't matter. The constitution is the constitution at the state and federal level. Don't want bad guys to have due process? Amend the constitutions and may God have mercy on your soul if a police force decide you're a bad guy that deserves death instead of a court room.
              I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

• Too bad this didn't happen prior to July 7th.

The leader of the Next Generation Action network is back in jail and will remain there for the next two years because of a probation violation.

Dominque Alexander’s attorney confirmed he had his probation revoked Friday and was sentenced to two years in jail effective immediately. The violation is associated with a 2009 case of serious bodily injury of a child.

He was arrested earlier this month for having 10 outstanding warrants. He was taken into custody shortly after disrupting a Dallas City Council meeting and ignoring Dallas Police Chief David Brown's requests to stop protesting in Downtown Dallas.

Alexander is the man who organized the police protest on July 7, which ended with five officers dead in an ambush attack. His organization was not connected to the attack.

Comment

• How do you get a permit to protest with 10 outstanding warrants?
                  "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

• Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                    How do you get a permit to protest with 10 outstanding warrants?
                    You have to have a permit to protest? What if I'm protesting permits?

Comment

• Originally posted by Craizie View Post
                      You have to have a permit to protest? What if I'm protesting permits?
                      You do to block streets and have police protection.
                      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

• I'm against picketing, I just don't know how to show it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                          How do you get a permit to protest with 10 outstanding warrants?
                          Adding to that, how do you protest police brutality when you yourself beat up little kids?

Comment

• Originally posted by cool cat View Post
                            Adding to that, how do you protest police brutality when you yourself beat up little kids?
                            You first have to believe cops are out to kill you and your friends when you have never done anything really wrong, then you have to be upset because you break the law all the time and feel like you have been wronged multiple times.

Comment

I forget the video but there was a trooper in SC I believe that was killed by a single shot from a .25 after he had already placed 5 to the chest with a 38 on a suspect. The .25 just happened to hit him in the armpit and traveled through his body. POS suspect lived and trooper died. Sometimes shit happens.
                              Deputy Coates died because of bad tactics. Bad search tactics, bad positioning, bad radio tactics, bad gun fight tactics. Mistakes lead to his death and this is why every police academy shows that video as an example of what NOT to do.
                              2012 GT500

Comment

Working...
                              X