Wrangler Unlimited advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrangler Unlimited advice

Need a new vehicle and have been looking at wrangler unlimiteds like the one shown. This will be my first jeep and first 4x4 vehicle and I don't know a damn thing about them lol. Looking for a little input.

I found an 2011 with 45k miles and they are asking 26500 for it at the stealership. Looking online this seems to be pretty standard for that year/mileage. I know they went to the new motors in 2012 and am curious as to whether it would be better to wait for a deal on a 2012? Reading online it seems the old 3.8 motor, while lower in horse power, is more reliable than the newer one. Should I buy an extended warranty for the vehicle? Are they worth the hefty price tag? Thanks in advance.

Shitty daily driver, no mileage, no power. If I where to get one it would have to be an older 4.0. The minivan motor sucks in the new one.
    07 GT500
    05 SRT10
    88 turbocoupe T-bird
    93 Cobra
    86 coupe
    Ducati 848

Comment

Yeah I've been looking at that. It would be a daily so I'd have to take that into consideration

Comment

I daily my 2013 unlimited w/ the 3.6 on 35's. I love it.

God bless.
        It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

It's hard to beleive that a 2003 vehicle can possible go for 16k lol. Jeeps really hold their value. I like that one but am pretty specifically looking into getting a four door.

Comment

Those motors are SLOW as FUCK! Get a 2012+.

Comment

Originally posted by mk5.0 View Post
              The minivan motor sucks in the new one.
              I disagree with this statement, I think they run great. I rent them all the time and have spent about two months driving them and am impressed. Even in the CA mountains I average 20 mpg doing 80 mph+ evererywhere I go.

Comment

If you're getting an automatic, I would find a deal on a 2012+. 2012s have a 5 speed automatice that is much better than the 4 speed turd they put in the 2007-2011s. The 3.6L is nice, but it's really the 5 speed auto that made 2012 a big deal.

If looking at 2012s, either find one with a post August 2012 build date, or make sure it's had the TSB performed on the heads. Some of the early 2012s had head gasket and head cracking issues.

The 2011s are kind of the red headed step child of JKs. Has the new style interior, but the old drivetrain. The tuning on the 2011s were a little different, although I wouldn't waste money on any tuners other than something to adjust for tire size.

As for the old 3.8, it's a turd, but it should last a long time if you keep up with maintenance and fix the oil leaks that pop up. I'm up to 125K on my 2009 and it runs like a champ, even with the beating I put it through. I won't win any races, but it's enough to move my heavy 6K lbs turd on 37s down the highway at 80.

Comment

Originally posted by UserX View Post
                  I disagree with this statement, I think they run great. I rent them all the time and have spent about two months driving them and am impressed. Even in the CA mountains I average 20 mpg doing 80 mph+ evererywhere I go.
                  I had a 2011 and is was a complete turd and got 16-17 mpg. I didn't realize they had changed the engine in 2012.
                  07 GT500
                  05 SRT10
                  88 turbocoupe T-bird
                  93 Cobra
                  86 coupe
                  Ducati 848

Comment

Originally posted by mk5.0 View Post
                    I had a 2011 and is was a complete turd and got 16-17 mpg. I didn't realize they had changed the engine in 2012.
                    hell thats good mileage!

god bless.
                    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by ELVIS View Post
                      hell thats good mileage!

god bless.
                      LOL...no kidding!! I feel good when I get over 14.

Comment

Thanks fellas. Yeah I'm starting to eyeball the 2012s now because of the new motor and tranny. I've found a couple deals on craistlist, going to hit the owners up this week. The more I look the more I like lol. I test drove a 2011 on saturday and really loved it.

Comment

i love mine. i cant wait for better weather to get the top and doors back off.

god bless.

Comment

I daily my 08'. Gears and a trans tuning were a must though. I still get shitty mpg but its not near the turd it was.

Comment

Working...
                            X