No announcement yet.

Tire reviews

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guy I work for runs Hankook on his farm trucks, they hold up pretty well considering the use and environment they are in. They make a lot of noise but so does any mud tire. These are load rang e so they ride pretty rough. I have toyo open country AT e range and like them a lot. They are rough as well but in a heavy duty 4x4 application nothing is going to be overly smooth.
    "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Ive had the Nitto Terra Grappler's on my dodge for the last 30k or so, they have been excellent.
      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by ELVIS View Post
        Interesting.. I didn't see those since they are apparently only on Discount Direct. They are even a little cheaper than the first set I posted. Adding these as an option. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Mc View Post
          What ever you do, don't buy the Goodyears. I a set and only got 25k (being generous) with a Mazda truck. We ran a lot of Nitto and Toyo tires for several of my customers that were in the oil/gas industry. I have had great luck with the BFG AT's and pretty good luck with the MT's. I don't really have any good or bad to say about Hankooks, they just seem like a normal tire but I do not see those often.
          I have had a couple sets of the BFG AT's, and like them in a general sense, but in my experience, once they get some mileage on them, and have been on a couple of years, they get really hard. I get one wheel peel in my Suburban all of the time, and that is with a 5.3. Used to get the same in my Bronco, and that was a well worn 302. They are tough tires though, in my experience.

On the Goodyear, were they from Walmart, or elsewhere?

Originally posted by jluv View Post
          I've been damn impressed with my Toyo Open Country MTs. Believe it or not, they have lasted longer than the Open Country ATs I had before these, and they still have a good bit of tread on them. My only complaint is the noise. It's not as bad as a lot of mud tires I've heard, but it's loud enough at highway speeds to bug me sometimes. They make a newer, more aggressive Open Country all terrain now (maybe AT Extreme?), so I'll probably try those when the time comes for new ones.
          Not seeing them on Discount (direct or normal), where did you get yours?

Hmm.. Looking at Toyo's site, I'm not sure they make them in my size.

Originally posted by dee View Post
          Guy I work for runs Hankook on his farm trucks, they hold up pretty well considering the use and environment they are in. They make a lot of noise but so does any mud tire. These are load rang e so they ride pretty rough. I have toyo open country AT e range and like them a lot. They are rough as well but in a heavy duty 4x4 application nothing is going to be overly smooth.
          The ones I posted are D range.

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
          Ive had the Nitto Terra Grappler's on my dodge for the last 30k or so, they have been excellent.
          Price is definitely good on those, but I really want deeper, wider lugs. Maybe the "trails", but they're right about the same price as the Duratrac Kevlars which seem to get much better reviews.

Terra:

Trail:

Comment

I've had great luck with both Terra grapplers and open country at2's. Never had a flat, they wear evenly and my last set of load range D nittos lasted nearly 90k on my f150. The current toyos have 40k plus and still look great.
            Big Rooster Racing "Dare to win well."

Comment

Yeah, those highways are getting pretty haggard around here, better get the loudest fucking tire on the planet, the mud grappler.
              "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

i also haf the terra graplers on my old fx4. they were great as well.

god bless.
                It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                  Yeah, those highways are getting pretty haggard around here, better get the loudest fucking tire on the planet, the mud grappler.
                  Lol.. I know. For the vast majority of time they are straight street duty. But I don't put a lot of miles on this truck anyways, so I would rather have something I like, and that is more functional when I do need them offroad.

Of course, we're getting ready to spend 10 days off road in Colorado, so that is more what I am looking at, atm. The BFG ATs on it now were still pretty new the last time we went, and the lack of traction almost caused me to lose the truck. The trail wasn't even too aggressive, but wet and on loose shale, the ATs did nothing but spin. And some of the trails we plan to drive this year will probably be a little worse. We get rained on a fair amount up there. It doesn't get muddy, but lots of rock and it get's pretty slick.

Hell, I do still have a complete extra set of wheels, and the BFG ATs I have do have some street life on them (maybe another 10k), so I may hold on to the current setup and put them back on after Colorado. At least until they are completely dead. At the rate I put mileage on this, and with no long road trips planned in it for a while, I may get another year or more out of them. But I will not take the current set to Colorado this year. It would likely eliminate some of the places I would like to go.

Comment

Originally posted by dee View Post
                    I just put these Hankook's on my '95 PSTD 4x4, I drive it 600 miles a week and use it on the farm. They DO NOT make a lot of noise and the ABSOLUTELY DO NOT ride rough. I went from Dick Cepek which are load range E as well, and those fuckers felt like they were filled with concrete...and terribly noisy.

These tires turned my old truck into a stealth Cadillac. Recommend without a doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by SamTex View Post
                      I just put these Hankook's on my '95 PSTD 4x4, I drive it 600 miles a week and use it on the farm. They DO NOT make a lot of noise and the ABSOLUTELY DO NOT ride rough. I went from Dick Cepek which are load range E as well, and those fuckers felt like they were filled with concrete...and terribly noisy.

These tires turned my old truck into a stealth Cadillac. Recommend without a doubt.
                      Good to know, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
                        Good to know, thanks!
                        I cant stand BFG AT's. Ive never thought they were worth a fuck for anything. While I havent been to colorado playing in the hills, creek crossings and wet fields getting trailers out of the pasture havent been an issue. In fact, I dont even have the front drive shaft in my truck, and havent needed it.

Comment

I ran Falken Rocky Mtn (MT?) on my 06 Fx4 and loved them. Good wear, long life, not loud.. i absolutely DESPISE howling tires.

Comment

Shop Mud Terrain & All Terrain TreadWright Tires by tire size. We offer the most affordable products on the market with Free Shipping!

I had these on my old f150 and they were great. Just take them to discount Or SAMs and get the warranty and rotation plan on them.

Comment

Originally posted by Venom View Post
                              https://www.treadwright.com/individu...265-70R17.00-E

I had these on my old f150 and they were great. Just take them to discount Or SAMs and get the warranty and rotation plan on them.
                              Ive always wondered about those, and first hand experience is hard to come by.

Comment

I like the Toyo M/Ts. I'm on my 3rd set. Durable, but heavy tire. Most are E rated, although I think my 37s are D rated...I'll have to look. If you keep up with the rotations and your alignment stays within spec, the tire drone stays at a minimum. 4Wheel Parts carries them.

Nitto Trail Grappler was the only other tire I considered when buying another set. Has a slightly softer compound than the Toyo, so will get better traction. Good sidewall protection against punctures and durable.

I wouldn't recommend those Goodyear w/Kevlars. I've watched too many friends puncture those things. Grippy and ride good, but make sure you buy a spare.

Comment

Working...
                                X