Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/bbcode/url.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/bbcode/url.php on line 2 Ebola on US shores - DFW Mustangs

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ebola on US shores

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kbscobravert View Post
    Yes, one to Atlanta Emory but now I am hearing it may be both there.

WHO say that the virus is moving even faster than expected.
    So we HAVE to put it on a jet and fly it here.
    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

I really think you guys are over reacting on this; yes Ebola is not a good thing to catch but keeping it contained since it is not airborne should not be hard. They can't keep it contained in Africa because most of that continent is full of unsanitary idiots. We are talking about people who genuinely think the cure for AIDS is to have sex with a virgin.

Granted, the doctor that died from it was probably using all the precautions needed and he still somehow contracted it, but he was also working VERY closely with the infected.

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
      I mentioned opening up Alcatraz and retrofitting it for this. You get someone away from the mainland and can actually have a decent quarantine where those working on the issue are forced to stay there beyond the incubation time frame.
      This is a very good idea. Similar to the original purpose of Ellis Island. Alcatraz would be a fantastic way to help US citizens while keeping the general population safe, which means it will continue to operate as a national park.
      I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Originally posted by LANTIRN View Post
        I really think you guys are over reacting on this; yes Ebola is not a good thing to catch but keeping it contained since it is not airborne should not be hard. They can't keep it contained in Africa because most of that continent is full of unsanitary idiots. We are talking about people who genuinely think the cure for AIDS is to have sex with a virgin.

Granted, the doctor that died from it was probably using all the precautions needed and he still somehow contracted it, but he was also working VERY closely with the infected.

This is a very good idea. Similar to the original purpose of Ellis Island. Alcatraz would be a fantastic way to help US citizens while keeping the general population safe, which means it will continue to operate as a national park.
        Most people also forget we have a 'forgotten fleet' of ships sitting right off the coast of California. Everything from old battleships to old carriers that would be brilliant for storing either illegals pending hearings or contagious diseases you want to study. There's no escape, no infection vectors and if something goes wrong, you sink it.
        I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Originally posted by LANTIRN View Post
          keeping it contained since it is not airborne should not be hard
          Bad news, world: The deadliest Ebola outbreak in history just became your personal problem. Reports now say that on July 24, a Liberian man named Patrick Sawyer tested positive for the lethal virus — in the city of Lagos, Nigeria. Image Credit: Mob…

The Deadliest Ebola Outbreak in History Just Took a Terrifying Turn

Zak Cheney-Rice's avatar image By Zak Cheney-Rice July 29, 2014

Bad news, world: The deadliest Ebola outbreak in history just became your personal problem.

Reports now say that on July 24, a Liberian man named Patrick Sawyer tested positive for the lethal virus — in the city of Lagos, Nigeria.

This is a major development. Until Sawyer’s death, the 660 Ebola fatalities recorded in 2014 were confined to three West African nations: Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone.

Now that the virus has spread to Nigeria, its global consequences could prove devastating.

A primer on Lagos: First off, it’s huge.

The largest city in Africa, this densely populated metro houses 21 million people at a concentration of 53,000 citizens per square mile. It’s also a major international hub, with at least 7.1 million passengers passing through Murtala Muhammed International Airport every year.

According to the Nigerian Tribune, Sawyer’s was the first Ebola case ever recorded in the country. But it might not be the last: Quartz reports that — due to the city’s density and poor health infrastructure — the virus’ appearance here sharply increases its likelihood of spreading to the rest of the world.

It gets worse: When Patrick Sawyer started having symptoms, he was on the three-hour flight from the Liberian capitol of Monrovia to Lagos.

After a lengthy bout of vomiting and diarrhea, he turned himself in to Nigerian authorities for quarantine. There’s just one problem: None of the other 100 or so passengers were detained. This means up to 100 people are walking around Lagos as we speak, unwittingly hosting a virus with a 90% fatality rate.

A frantic manhunt is currently underway to track down the remaining passengers, according to Quartz. Only in the days since have Nigerian health authorities started screening incoming travelers for Ebola.

What does the virus look like? Anyone who read The Hot Zone for biology class can tell you it’s an ugly way to die.

Ebola victims typically exhibit flu-like symptoms at first, which makes it incredibly difficult to detect. It’s often mistaken for malaria or typhoid, but from there, all hell breaks loose: Headaches, fever and stomach pain devolve into vomiting, diarrhea and bleeding from the mucous membranes, climaxing with massive boils on the skin and an eventual shutdown of the internal organs.

The virus spreads when victims “spew” blood or phlegm into the cuts or mucous membranes of its next host. You read that correctly.

Background: The battle to contain it thus far has been arduous.

Since March, doctors and aid workers have worked tirelessly to stop Ebola from spreading throughout the continent, even as it wreaked havoc throughout the region. In the four months before Sawyer, at least 1,100 people in the aforementioned nations had contracted the virus, including 100 health workers, 50 of which have died.

Comment

That little island looks better and better each day. May be time to move

Comment

New executive order. July 31 2014

REVISED LIST OF QUARANTINABLE COMMUNICABLE DISEASES

By the authority vested in me as President by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, including section 264(b) of title 42, United States Code, it is hereby ordered as follows:

Section 1. Amendment to Executive Order 13295. Based upon the recommendation of the Secretary of Health and Human Services, in consultation with the Acting Surgeon General, and for the purposes set forth in section 1 of Executive Order 13295 of April 4, 2003, as amended by Executive Order 13375 of April 1, 2005, section 1 of Executive Order 13295 shall be further amended by replacing subsection (b) with the following:

"(b) Severe acute respiratory syndromes, which are diseases that are associated with fever and signs and symptoms of pneumonia or other respiratory illness, are capable of being transmitted from person to person, and that either are causing, or have the potential to cause, a pandemic, or, upon infection, are highly likely to cause mortality or serious morbidity if not properly controlled. This subsection does not apply to influenza."

Sec. 2. General Provisions. (a) Nothing in this order shall be construed to impair or otherwise affect:

(i) the authority granted by law to an executive department, agency, or the head thereof; or

(ii) the functions of the Director of the Office of Management and Budget relating to budgetary, administrative, or legislative proposals.

(b) This order is not intended to, and does not, create any right or benefit, substantive or procedural, enforceable at law or in equity by any party against the United States, its departments, agencies, or entities, its officers, employees, or agents, or any other person.

BARACK OBAMA

Comment

I truly do see this getting bad. I may be a asshole but I would of let that dr and assistant die over there. Screw bringing the shit here knowing how fucking stupid our government is about things (meaning that if shit goes south we are fucked)

Comment

Only way to be sure...

"Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Haha

Comment

Everyone here would feel much different if the US citizen in question was someone they loved.

Comment

Originally posted by kbscobravert View Post
                        They are bringing one of the infected US citizens to Atlanta. Watch this shit get out of their containment and spread like wildfire in the US. The death rate in Africa right now is 60%. Can you see the need now for FEMA to have all those plastic coffins in their inventory?
                        And any one that dont believe this, I delivered one of many truck loads made by rubermaid in mexico.. they are hermetically sealed when lid is put on. They stack in side one and other to save space Made
                        was unloaded at a huge warehouse. Very big interesting place double fence with razor ribbon around top. Built like a prison camp style.

Comment

Originally posted by UserX View Post
                          Everyone here would feel much different if the US citizen in question was someone they loved.
                          Fuck no!

You knew what you were getting into when you went over there.

You want to know what I think? I think the guy that got it and jumped on the plane to Nigeria wanted this shit to get out, for his cause. Knowing that none of the big pharmaceutical companies would ever do shit unless this fucking disease hit a major city and had potential to go bad. Tell me it would be the first time someone killed a shitload of people for their cause.

"He had a stopover in Ghana then changed planes in Togo and flew to the international travel hub of Lagos in Nigeria. The dad-of-three died five days after arriving in the city."
                          Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Anyone that thinks this is going to shake out into some crazy outbreak is a moron.
                            ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
                              Anyone that thinks this is going to shake out into some crazy outbreak is a moron.
                              All it takes is a primate, or 32.4% of the metro population (based on 2010 Census data) and this motherfucker is wiping out the world. Because America IS the world.

Duct taping the doors and windows now.

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
                                Like I said, chicken little mother fuckers. ZOMG!!!1111juan

The sky is falling, the sky is falling!
                                Originally posted by BradM
                                But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                                Originally posted by Leah
                                In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Working...
                                X