Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Verizon sold FiOS the Frontier

This is discouraging.

They wanted out for a couple of years, cutting tech numbers, and not having fiber repair techs on payroll (for the big strands).

Comment

Well, shit. Google Fiber can't come fast enough

Comment

Originally posted by Ratt View Post
        Well, shit. Google Fiber can't come fast enough
        Last I read Dallas wasn't even a consideration for Google Fiber, so that's not likely in the next decade.
        Originally posted by BradM
        But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
        Originally posted by Leah
        In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
          Last I read Dallas wasn't even a consideration for Google Fiber, so that's not likely in the next decade.
          From Google's page:

"We work alongside city leaders to explore bringing Google Fiber to their area."

Work with Dallas city leaders? There's not a chance in hell.

The other challenge is cost/size:

Austin (which has GF) is 271.8 square miles

Dallas/Fort Worth is nearly 700 Sq miles and growing.
          Last edited by Binky; 02-09-2015, 08:33 AM.

Comment

This bothers me. I just renewed my contract two weeks ago for another two years. I hope the Frontier customer service is not as bad as what I have read about. Verizon has been pretty good in every category since I have had them at the house.

Comment

Where I live they don't even have verzion fios. We have AT&T fiber optic service.
              07 GT500
              05 SRT10
              88 turbocoupe T-bird
              93 Cobra
              86 coupe
              Ducati 848

Comment

Originally posted by Binky View Post
                From Google's page:

"We work alongside city leaders to explore bringing Google Fiber to their area."

Work with Dallas city leaders? There's not a chance in hell.

The other challenge is cost/size:

Austin (which has GF) is 271.8 square miles

Dallas/Fort Worth is nearly 700 Sq miles and growing.
                Yeah, essentially if you want Google Fiber you're going to have to roll out a red-carpet welcome for them. They want full-access to everything and no hoops to jump through. That's going to be tough since Dallas is pretty much a bastion for AT&T.

I can see it being one of the first "major" cities that Google may do, but I won't hold my breath. It sucks because the more companies you have in an area means more choice and lower prices. Obviously AT&T, Verizon, TWC, etc. know they have a vastly inferior product and are going to do everything they can to keep Google out of big city markets like Dallas.
                2011 Mustang GT - California Special - Black/Black - M6 - 3.73's

Mods: Roush CAI, GT500 Cat-Back Exhaust, Spohn Performance Lower Control Arms

Comment

Lol have fun, fuckers!

Comment

Frontier also brought over a bunch of Verizon's customer service reps. They claim no one is getting laid off. So "maybe" (huge maybe) they won't screw up the service.

However i don't expect they'll be putting much money into upgrading the infrastructure. They just spent a crap load of cash buying 1.4million customers, they aren't going to be swimming in cash for upgrades anytime soon.

Unfortunately my only other option is Charter. It's dirt cheap but 30Mbps is the best speed they can offer.

Comment

Couldn't watch any on demand last night. Already grumpy with them.

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
                        Couldn't watch any on demand last night. Already grumpy with them.
                        I've seen two FB Friends post up that they've had problems already today.

Comment

I'm not liking this already, and I have not registered my new account yet. I can switch to One Source, who sucked before, or keep this service (Internet and land line, for fax machine). Have to see what it looks like over time I guess.

Comment

Working...
                          X