No announcement yet.

Torchys Taco, talk to me...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I ate there again today and had the queso for the first time, its delicious. Seems like they are making their tacos really fat lately.

Comment

The fish tacos at Rubios out here in CA kick some serious ass. http://www.rubios.com/

Comment

i smelled curry so i came running.

Originally posted by Silverback View Post
        In Indian cooking, "curry" is just a common name for any range of dishes that have a "gravy". Much like chili in the US, just with varying bases and proteins/vegetables.

There are coconut curries, onion curries, tomato curries etc.

Curry Powder was a blend of spices sold by Indian merchants to the British, so yes curry powder was originated in India. Typically curry powder consists of tumeric, corriander, cumin, and other spices. The Tumeric is what gives it it's overly strong "BO" smell.

My sister was a cook at a place here in Austin called Garage Ma-hal, that was on Food Network, and is now the head shift cook for The Whip Inn off 35 in Austin, where Indian/Middle Eastern food is their main courses.

She schooled me on curries a while back. She's also married to an Israeli and typically when I go to their house they cook something Middle Eastern/Israeli/Indian. Last time I was at her house she made a pretty awesome coconut curry with cucumber, onion, chicken, tumeric, garlic, ginger, and a few other spices. She typically doesn't use Curry Powder, rather mixes her own spices. Just like most BBQ'ers don't use an off the shelf rub, but make their own.
        this guy is correct.

curry is just a sauce dish. there's probably hundreds, from subtle differences to completely different ingredients.

most indians who cook at home wouldnt use a pre-made curry powder cause the quantities and blend wouldnt be right for all dishes. it's basically comprised of coriander, turmeric and cumin.

same shit as would you buy a premade dry rub or chili kit?
        www.hppmotorsports.com
        ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Comment

Holy chit, this may be my new place. The barbacoa tacos will rock your fucking face off!
          Originally posted by Silverback
          Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Holy shit, that libertarian taco of the month sounds like one bad motherfucker.
            How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

Good stuff for sure, kinda of high, but the quality is worth it...
              Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by The Geofster View Post
                Holy shit, that libertarian taco of the month sounds like one bad motherfucker.
                No kidding! God damn, I seriously may get in my car and drive 40 minutes for a taco. lol

Comment

I've driven very far for food and this place will not dissapoint. Best Barbacoa for me is in this order

Southside Barbacoa, Corpus Christy Texas
                  Nuevo Leon, Irving Texas
                  Cuquitas, Richardson Texas

and Torchys ranks right up there, I had the Libertarian and was impressed too.

Comment

My wife was bitching at me for spending so much on a few tacos, I didn't hear anything but orgasmic moans afterwards, lmao!

Comment

We had it in Austin this weekend. Good shit.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
                        My wife was bitching at me for spending so much on a few tacos, I didn't hear anything but orgasmic moans afterwards, lmao!
                        Haven't heard those since... well, never, have ya?
                        How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
                          I just looked at the prices, 3.50 to 4.75
                          Pretty high but the tacos looks loaded.

The Libertarian

I'll need to try this on Friday for lunch at the Allen location.

How are the corn tortillas? Do they taste a little greasy or dry? I'm use to having the greasy(which i prefer) tortillas off Lombardi/Harry Hines
                          Last edited by unkoricky; 05-09-2012, 05:52 AM.
                          Originally posted by 03trubluGT
                          Your opinion is what sucks.
                          You are too stupied and arrogant

Comment

They are a little greasy, but not as much as a taco vendor. Also the flour tortillas are bigger than the corn, so you get more bang for your buck with a flour. I had everything in flour except the barbacoa taco, that one I got in corn...

Comment

Originally posted by The Geofster View Post
                              Haven't heard those since... well, never, have ya?
                              Shut it!

Comment

Gonna have to swing by this week sometime.

Comment

Working...
                                X