Check me on this - OK to TX handgun sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check me on this - OK to TX handgun sale

I have a Brother in Law from Oklahoma that is wanting to sell his Ruger GP100 for $600.

He was asking if I could list it for him when he comes down this weekend, and then just transfer it through an FFL if he finds a buyer.

If I recall correctly, I can't do this. Doesn't it have to be shipped directly to the FFL?

Or is there any issues finding an FFL that will "hand-receive" the revolver and then background check/sell to the TX buyer?

Not a problem at all. If he brings it with him and finds a buyer, you just make arrangements with an FFL, meet the buyer there and it gets transferred.

But legally, he doesn't need to transfer it. (in TX anyway) If he did, it would be for piece of mind. When I sell, I only sell to people with a DL or CHL and I take a pic of it for my records.

Comment

Originally posted by homealone View Post
      Not a problem at all. If he brings it with him and finds a buyer, you just make arrangements with an FFL, meet the buyer there and it gets transferred.

But legally, he doesn't need to transfer it. (in TX anyway) If he did, it would be for piece of mind. When I sell, I only sell to people with a DL or CHL and I take a pic of it for my records.
      I was under the impression that only long-guns can be transferred without a FFL within the tri-state area, but pistols must go through an FFL.

And Texas residents can purchase guns in other states:

Sec. 46.07. INTERSTATE PURCHASE

A resident of this state may, if not otherwise precluded by law, purchase firearms, ammunition, reloading components, or firearm accessories in another state. This authorization is enacted in conformance with 18 U.S.C. Section 922(b)(3)(A).

So the same goes for Oklahoma residents?

Comment

Unless OK has State laws that override it, I know we can buy in other states. But some dealers have policies stating it needs to be a bordering state.

Unless he wants a transfer to protect him, I'd just do a private sale.

Here is a reference to the rules. https://www.atf.gov/file/58681/download

The only thing up for interpretation is the word "residing" which to me means where you currently are. Not necessarily residency.

If it's a concern, call your FFL and ask. This is the guy I use if you don't have one.

Mike @ https://www.mandmqfa.com/
        Last edited by homealone; 07-15-2020, 01:13 PM.

Comment

I appreciate the information!

Comment

Glad to help.

BTW, do you know what caliber, finish and barrel length that is?

Comment

Originally posted by homealone View Post
              Glad to help.

BTW, do you know what caliber, finish and barrel length that is?

Looks like the model is 1705 (.357) in suuuuper shiny blind-you-in-the-face-if-the-sun-hits-it finish.

Comment

That will sell.

Comment

All hand guns that cross state lines must transfer ownership through an FFL. You can thank gang members on the east coast for this federal law.
                  Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
                    All hand guns that cross state lines must transfer ownership through an FFL. You can thank gang members on the east coast for this federal law.
                    That's what I thought as well. What is hanging me up is whether or not it must be SHIPPED to the FFL, or if you can just show up with the out of state seller (acting as the "shipping agent") and the new in-state buyer.

If we get any bites, I'll contact that FFL mentioned above.

Comment

If it's in-person, private citizen to private citizen, why would anyone involve an ffl?

I mean, I get that there is the remote possibility of a legal issue, but does someone suspect they're about to be the victim of a gun sale sting operation or something?
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Magnus View Post
                        If it's in-person, private citizen to private citizen, why would anyone involve an ffl?

I mean, I get that there is the remote possibility of a legal issue, but does someone suspect they're about to be the victim of a gun sale sting operation or something?

Just trying to follow the rules, ATF don't mess around.

Comment

Originally posted by IHaveAMustang View Post
                          That's what I thought as well. What is hanging me up is whether or not it must be SHIPPED to the FFL, or if you can just show up with the out of state seller (acting as the "shipping agent") and the new in-state buyer.

If we get any bites, I'll contact that FFL mentioned above.
                          You can show up in person and do it.

Why doesn't he just put it up on a forum specific to his home state? Those kinds of guns sell almost immediately
                          Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by IHaveAMustang View Post
                            Just trying to follow the rules, ATF don't mess around.
                            AyTee eF can go fuck off.
                            Last edited by Rick Modena; 07-16-2020, 09:32 AM.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
                              You can show up in person and do it.

Why doesn't he just put it up on a forum specific to his home state? Those kinds of guns sell almost immediately
                              Yeah...he isn't all that bright, and doesn't even own a computer. I'm just trying to get the sale coordinated - its on him to complete the sale however he wants.

Comment

Working...
                              X