What I have been working on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Z06killinsbf View Post
    Have you considered a mini alternator and extra heat shielding?
    I can make this work and a mini alternator would still pose mounting issues in the sn95 brackets
    Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueCoupeRedVert View Post
      I hear you about the Romac.. I thought the same thing as i installed mine 15 years ago. It was a bitch. Pulling it 3 years ago, it came off easy with a puller and went back on with no problems.
      Okay, it wasn't as bad as I remembered. The balancer pulled off relatively easy. Before I put it back on I warmed her up under a lamp and worked it on with a small deadblow hammer. Tapping it with the side of the hammer worked in until I could get the installer (balancer bolt...I like to live dangerously) threaded in. Pro tip of the day: mark your keyway location on the neck of the balancer so you can line it up easier.

So as soon as I can get the water pump radiator hose fitting welded on, I can paint it an install everything else on the front. Hopefully that is wrapped up by Tuesday.

Rear main needs to be replaced. What I thought was the oil pan is in fact the stupid main seal.

New clutch will be here Wednesday. Then that fun begins.

Question
      The clutch guy is sending a brass bushing for the pilot. He doesn't want me to use the needle bearing type. Something about if it come apart but how fricking often has that ever happened.

Coming apart

Where I left it for the night.

Looking at that now, I should have masked of the block and hit it with some black and clear.

Comment

• Maybe i missed it ,but how much clearance is this going to gain?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sleeper View Post
          Maybe i missed it ,but how much clearance is this going to gain?
          Inches away from the turbo when it was practically touching before. Plus it will drops the power steering down too.

Comment

• Originally posted by kbscobravert View Post
            I can make this work and a mini alternator would still pose mounting issues in the sn95 brackets
            I have a brand new fox water pump with AN fittings already welded on that you can have.
            07 GT500
            05 SRT10
            88 turbocoupe T-bird
            93 Cobra
            86 coupe
            Ducati 848

Comment

• Originally posted by mk5.0 View Post
              I have a brand new fox water pump with AN fittings already welded on that you can have.
              Thanks man. I got it taken care of. Just finished putting color on it.

Yes that is a bug in the paint I had to pick out...the clear it.

Comment

• A few steps forward do not come without a few steps back also. There may be something with my new foxbody style water pump.

Problems with March 30028 alternator bracket kit. Brand new water pump and foxbody timing chain cover.

Two problems:
                1. the plate that bolts to the top of the alternator is threaded for 7/16 threads not 3/8 like the kit is designed for and for the bolts they sent. Easy to explain that one. It failed QC at March. Easy to get them to fix I am sure.

2. The lower bolt of the bracket is a 5/16 SHCS 6" in length. well 5.950" under head but the last 0.100" of the bolt doesn't have threads wide enough to engage the block. The spacer the bolt goes through is 2.150" (actually 2.155"). So the bolt goes through the bracket, the spacer, the water pump, and then the timing chain cover. There is not enough bolt to even touch the threads in the block. The block face to the outer surface of the water pump is 3.435". Add the thickness of their bracket (didn't measure) and there isn't anything to grab the block. NUTS.

So problem two has me wondering if the new water pump is an odd ball compared to a stock factory ford pump.
                This is looking at the right side of the timing chain cover and water pump. Can some one measure their lower water jacket bolt from the block face to just under where the bolt head is?

And also the water pump thickness at the bolt that is in between the two water nipples.

The bracket is so far out you can see that it doesn't line up with the line on the power steering bracket. Notice that the alternator bracket is fractions of an inch from the water pump pulley.

I need a fox power steering pulley too. I totally overlooked that the 94/95 is spaced different.

BUT, I got that space I needed away from the turbo.

Also drops the power steering pump down a little lower too.

Comment

• TIMING COVER and WATER PUMP bolt length and locations All bolt measurements are measured from the underside of the bolt head to the end of the threaded bolt. All of these bolts are torqued 12-18 Lb-Ft All bolt threads are 5/16-18 pitch; stud are 3/8-16 pitch #1---- 2-1/4”---- stud 13/16”---...
                  07 GT500
                  05 SRT10
                  88 turbocoupe T-bird
                  93 Cobra
                  86 coupe
                  Ducati 848

Comment

• So he is saying that the number 3 and 4 bolts are 3-7/8" but that is how tall my water pump and timing chain cover are. A bolt that length would almost, but not quite touch the first thread.

Is it possible that this aftermarket pump has a bolt hole that is too tall? Maybe for I truck or something?

I am going to assume the since the bolts on the driver's side for the power steering brackets are 6" and it seems to line up fine, that I have the right bolt length, I just need to trim the spacers on the alternator to account for the extra material on the water pump.

Comment

• When i get home today i can shoot a pic of my stock pump that i pulled to do my electric water pump..
                      Doug

90 LX Coupe 5.0
                      90 7up Vert. 5.0

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueCoupeRedVert View Post
                        When i get home today i can shoot a pic of my stock pump that i pulled to do my electric water pump..
                        Can you put a tape measure to a few of the bolt holes?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

• Will do.. Got the 86 RUNNING last night thanks to James.
                          Doug

90 LX Coupe 5.0
                          90 7up Vert. 5.0

Comment

• Here is what make me think the water pump is too thick also. In their picture the bracket has a good gap away from the water pump pulley.

Here is how mine sits

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

• 07 GT500
                              05 SRT10
                              88 turbocoupe T-bird
                              93 Cobra
                              86 coupe
                              Ducati 848

Comment

• The pump thickness at D (lower) and C are where my problems are. I need to get March's measurements for what pump they used.

Comment

Working...
                                X