Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best way to get a line out on modern sound systems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
    So who here is good at building quality, integrated sub enclosures versus a lot of stereo stores universal "box" thats just strapped down in the trunk? I've been planning for several years to have a well designed enclosure built that integrates into the upper portion of the trunk in my Grand National but I haven't found anyone yet. I don't want the universal ghetto box tossed into the trunk..I want something that looks good and sounds GOOD...not boomy. My plan was to use 2 matching 10" subs along with my Linear 2202IQ. Already have separate Alpine amps running Boston Acoustics separates up front and a good set of Pioneer 6x9's in the rear deck..just need some good low end to finish it out.
    I designed my own center console box using JL’s air space specs published on their website and carefully measuring the room i had and how i wanted it to look and sit. Then I drew it up, checked things, drew it up a few different times, remeasured, triple checked, and then took the final draft to Eric (EW) at Autosound, and he had a cabinet maker build the box. It came out perfect. Autosound isn’t around anymore, and Eric has moved on, but I’m sure if you designed the box and have a good drawing with exact measurements to a good carpenter, they could make it for you pretty easily.

I did pretty much the same thing on the previous system in my Explorer that had a huge ported box for two 15s. Eric actually did more of the design work on that one. I don’t have experience with building ports so that they’re tuned to a particular frequency, but he did. I basically told him where i wanted it and he did the rest. He’s a wealth of knowledge and the industry was better when he was in it.

Obviously, it’s easier to build a sealed enclosure to spec than it is to get a ported enclosure just right.

Most prefab boxes are junk, and if they aren’t matched to the specs for the sub, they won’t sound as good as they are meant to. JL sells the Stealthboxes and also regular sub boxes preloaded with their subs and obviously those are matched perfectly.

Comment

Originally posted by jluv View Post
      I designed my own center console box using JL’s air space specs published on their website and carefully measuring the room i had and how i wanted it to look and sit. Then I drew it up, checked things, drew it up a few different times, remeasured, triple checked, and then took the final draft to Eric (EW) at Autosound, and he had a cabinet maker build the box. It came out perfect. Autosound isn’t around anymore, and Eric has moved on, but I’m sure if you designed the box and have a good drawing with exact measurements to a good carpenter, they could make it for you pretty easily.

I did pretty much the same thing on the previous system in my Explorer that had a huge ported box for two 15s. Eric actually did more of the design work on that one. I don’t have experience with building ports so that they’re tuned to a particular frequency, but he did. I basically told him where i wanted it and he did the rest. He’s a wealth of knowledge and the industry was better when he was in it.

Obviously, it’s easier to build a sealed enclosure to spec than it is to get a ported enclosure just right.

Most prefab boxes are junk, and if they aren’t matched to the specs for the sub, they won’t sound as good as they are meant to. JL sells the Stealthboxes and also regular sub boxes preloaded with their subs and obviously those are matched perfectly.
      JL doesn't make a stealthbox for the 80's G-body or I would consider one. I had a single 10 stealthbox in my old 98 GMC Sierra and I found a used center console stealthbox for my 08 Sierra I have now...and it sounds fantastic.

Comment

I know they may 6x9 adapters for that car. Back in the day when I daily drove a Cuda, I had two infinity reference 6x9's on my deck and a Orion HCCA 225 running them. They based just like 10's back there and really just sounded great overall.

And I feel your pain I just dropped an 8 between the seats on my Z3. I was trying to keep the head unit in this thing but the reception is just meh. Sounds much better though now. Some of the speakers were completely missing the surround.
        Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
          I know they may 6x9 adapters for that car. Back in the day when I daily drove a Cuda, I had two infinity reference 6x9's on my deck and a Orion HCCA 225 running them. They based just like 10's back there and really just sounded great overall.

And I feel your pain I just dropped an 8 between the seats on my Z3. I was trying to keep the head unit in this thing but the reception is just meh. Sounds much better though now. Some of the speakers were completely missing the surround.
          I have a good set of 6x9's in the rear deck powered by a 60wpc Alpine amp already, they just cannot produce the clean deep bass that I want at any volume..I'm going to need real subs to get the sound I want. My 08 GMC that I got from my dad had 1 working speaker in it out of the 6 that it was equipped with..seems to be a common problem on the 08-13 Silverado/Sierra. Installing components in the front, new rear speakers, a new head unit and a true sub (JL center console Stealthbox with 1 10" and a Linear Power 952iq) made a dramatic difference.

Comment

Oh I here ya. The Z3 had the top notch HK system with crossovers, and two amps running components in the front and the doors,4inchs behind the seat, and a 6.5 sub between the seats. The fronts had no surround, the rears looked new, doors were fair, and the sub was just the frame. I dropped in a tiny kicker 200.1, and a top loading 8 inch Pioneer between the seats in a custom box, some JBL companents in front, and Fosgates behind the seat. The original head was decent in these but the sub amp was not up to the task. The other amp is like 6 channels with built in crossovers and it is hanging in there for now. Sounds a whole lot better. That 8 in that small of a car puts out some base. The funny thing is these head units bring 400 on ebay, and the box for the 6.5 is rare, amps bring some coin. If I do finish out the swap, the stock stuff will pay out more than the upgrades. It is a M series though, I didn't buy it for the stereo. Got tired of building Miatas and figured I would try something that was built fairly well from the factory.
            Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Got tired of building Miatas and figured I would try something that was built fairly well from the factory.
              Off topic but - Remember when they did that total redesign of the Miata? It got a lot lighter and everyone loved the car. Can't remember what year. Ever mess around with one of those? That one seems like it would've been built well from the factory
              WH

Comment

Oh I here ya. The Z3 had the top notch HK system with crossovers, and two amps running components in the front and the doors,4inchs behind the seat, and a 6.5 sub between the seats. The fronts had no surround, the rears looked new, doors were fair, and the sub was just the frame. I dropped in a tiny kicker 200.1, and a top loading 8 inch Pioneer between the seats in a custom box, some JBL companents in front, and Fosgates behind the seat. The original head was decent in these but the sub amp was not up to the task. The other amp is like 6 channels with built in crossovers and it is hanging in there for now. Sounds a whole lot better. That 8 in that small of a car puts out some base. The funny thing is these head units bring 400 on ebay, and the box for the 6.5 is rare, amps bring some coin. If I do finish out the swap, the stock stuff will pay out more than the upgrades. It is a M series though, I didn't buy it for the stereo. Got tired of building Miatas and figured I would try something that was built fairly well from the factory.
                I have an uncle who has an odd fascination with Miata's also.....I think he's owned like 7 of them now...he supercharged the first one or two and blew them up, then started turbocharging them and blew them up or didn't like the way they drove...or a new color came out...then he eventually bought a factory turbo Miata a few years back and said he was leaving it stock...that lasted about 3 months before he was back to jacking with it and blew it up...then he got ANOTHER one....he's crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
                  Off topic but - Remember when they did that total redesign of the Miata? It got a lot lighter and everyone loved the car. Can't remember what year. Ever mess around with one of those? That one seems like it would've been built well from the factory
                  The only ones I like the looks of are the 9-15's and they are plenty build able and very capable. The 16 and ups have manual transmissions made of glass and I don't like the rear ends at all.

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
                  I have an uncle who has an odd fascination with Miata's also.....I think he's owned like 7 of them now...he supercharged the first one or two and blew them up, then started turbocharging them and blew them up or didn't like the way they drove...or a new color came out...then he eventually bought a factory turbo Miata a few years back and said he was leaving it stock...that lasted about 3 months before he was back to jacking with it and blew it up...then he got ANOTHER one....he's crazy.
                  You just need to drive one a bit to get it I think. I just like a having a smaller two door convertible.

I have been fixing little things on this but overall it feels solid. The last club edition Miata I had I was going to leave the motor alone but ended up selling. I got to looking around again and the Z3 popped up. Got a decent deal on it, looks good from the factory, the last years before BMW went nuts with electronics, etc etc. A little heaver than a Miata but a lot more HP and a ton of torque which I think makes the bigger difference. I think I prefer the grand touring roadster over the super nimble Miata. Miatas do amazing at the track but if you rarely track a car...............

Back to your box. My Volkswagen back in the day, I literally just cut shitty pieces and built the rear out to match the curves of the car, then sealed it up, put a pretty face on it, slapped on carpet and it looked fantastic. So I say you cut a piece for the front of the trunk square. Cut four pieces that will squeeze in around that area and however long you want or how much trunk you want to give up, then make sure the face is cut nice, subs facing the rear, glue the carpet to the face and then the outer area you can tuck in or fill the gaps. Slap the amp in the center vertically, cover with the same stuff you built and covered the box, and your done. I believe Bulla has a big ole but and much trunk space.
                  Last edited by kingjason; 12-20-2019, 02:37 PM.
                  Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Working...
                  X