Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CHL? Gun in car in school parking lot? Teacher?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CHL? Gun in car in school parking lot? Teacher?

I took a CHL class yesterday. The instructor said that a parent or etc could leave a gun secured inside the car while in the building but that the law doesn't allow a teacher to do the same thing.
    Somebody else said that want true and that a teacher can leave a gun secured in the car?

Anybody know for certain? Does school district policy change this answer from school district to school district?

We hold these Truths to be self-evident, that all Men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the the pursuit of happiness......, that whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive to these Ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government,
    I'm posting from my phone, probably while driving. Expect typoes.......

I do not recall anything specifically excluding teachers from being able to keep a handgun in their car in the school parking lot unless it is part of the "parking lot bill" from a couple years ago.
    كافر

Originally posted by sc281
    Always better to be an Uncle than a Father. All the fun stuff and none of the expensive stuff.
    Originally posted by Trick Pony
    ...from what I've seen on here bcoop knows his shit when it comes to smoking meat.

Comment

I remeber my instructor saying that an employee that isnt allowed to carry at work was allowed to secure their firearm in their car, same for schools.
      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

My instructor basically said under a cover or "in a building" (ie porte-cocher's etc.) are off limits.

Looking at it there are two laws at play. One is the "Gun Free Zone" which prohibits someone from having a gun within 1000' of a school. However that says
        if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;
        Meaning if you have a CHL, then it's up to the state's laws.
        The Texas CHL law say you can't carry in school premises and defines those as
        “Premises” means a building or a p ortion of a building. The
        term does not include any public or private driveway, street, sidewalk or
        walkway, parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area.
        So... parking lot good. Building bad.

Although I saw a mention of a "new parking lot law" with some sort of teacher/school exemption that might be relevant, but I stopped wasting time on the search.

Also, the school district's policy might prohibit it.

Comment

Each ISD will have their own policy regarding bringing weapons on campus. My district doesn't allow it. We are in the process of going to the board to get that changed though.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron View Post
            I remeber my instructor saying that an employee that isnt allowed to carry at work was allowed to secure their firearm in their car, same for schools.
            Instructor yesterday said schools and oil rigs were the exception to that law?

We hold these Truths to be self-evident, that all Men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the the pursuit of happiness......, that whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive to these Ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government,

Comment

Originally posted by Venom View Post
              Each ISD will have their own policy regarding bringing weapons on campus. My district doesn't allow it. We are in the process of going to the board to get that changed though.
              Mansfield ISD?

Comment

Originally posted by '90Vert View Post
                Instructor yesterday said schools and oil rigs were the exception to that law?
                Mine was several years ago, so that may have changed. I asked for some clarification since my house is within 1000' of a school, so he went into it further.
                "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Mine was several years ago, so that may have changed. I asked for some clarification since my house is within 1000' of a school, so he went into it further.
                  I also live within 1000' of a school so I don't see how that is enforceable
                  07 f250-family truckster
                  08 Denali -baby hauler
                  52 f1-rust bucket
                  05 Jeep tj. Buggy
                  livin the double-wide dream

Comment

Originally posted by '90Vert View Post
                    Mansfield ISD?
                    Arlington.

Comment

Arlington.
                      Where?

Comment

Learned something interesting there, I was under the impression that the parking lot was included - although some nights I risked it.

Not a teacher, but not allowing licensed adults is stupid in my opinion.
                        Originally posted by MR EDD
                        U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

You're on private property, so you're covered there under the laws as I understand them.

I do worry about the laws changing. Can anyone clarify the teacher/oil rig exemptions?

Comment

Where?

Arlington High

Comment

Arlington High
                              My wife and MIL are at Seguin

Comment

Working...
                              X