Reliability of late model Nissan Frontier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reliability of late model Nissan Frontier

I want to replace my 2001 Ranger. I don’t want a full size truck, and don’t like the looks or price of the upcoming new Ranger . I’m considering a 2018 Nissan Frontier King Cab with a 4.0/ auto. Nissan is bringing out a new Frontier next year, so in the next few months, there will be great deals on the 2018’s.

How is the reliability of these trucks?

Their CVT has been garbage since they came out 15 years ago and now it's in a mid sized truck. The engines are pretty solid and the rest of the truck is on par with anything else produced today but that trans is a deal breaker for me.

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
      Their CVT has been garbage since they came out 15 years ago and now it's in a mid sized truck. The engines are pretty solid and the rest of the truck is on par with anything else produced today but that trans is a deal breaker for me.
      The Nissan website says all Frontiers some with a 5 speed automatic, not a CVT.

Comment

Originally posted by white trash wagon View Post
        The Nissan website says all Frontiers some with a 5 speed automatic, not a CVT.
        Well crap I was confusing it with the Pathfinder. Nevermind, the RE5 in the Frontiers is pretty good. They had a ton of radiator problems in the past intermixing coolant and ATF but I'd imagine they have that worked out now.

Comment

Yes, the Pathfinder is no longer based on the Frontier. The Pathfinder is now FWD, and I presume, based on the Maxima(?).

Comment

They frequently have lifter noise that will drive you insane but it doesn't cause a problem.
            Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Well crap I was confusing it with the Pathfinder. Nevermind, the RE5 in the Frontiers is pretty good. They had a ton of radiator problems in the past intermixing coolant and ATF but I'd imagine they have that worked out now.
              I think they fixed the radiator problem back in 2010.

CN

Comment

Look at the maintenance intervals.
                WH

Comment

The platform has been out for ever. It’s mechanically rock fucking solid.

Comment

My wife has had three Nissans in a row, not one single problem over a 11/12 years span. I enjoyed driving her Versa with the CVT and that was when it first came out or so. We never had a problem but they did up the warranty to like 200k on it. I honestly don't know what her Rouge had or the Murano has. I did ask a tech once how they rebuild them. He said they just throw them away and put a new one in.
                    Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by 2011GT View Post
                      The platform has been out for ever. It’s mechanically rock fucking solid.
                      That’s part of the appeal for me. I don’t need state of the art, I need proven rock solid. I’ll keep this truck 15-20 years, like I did with my Ranger.

Comment

Probably will be at least another year till they’re discounted heavily.

Comment

Originally posted by 2011GT View Post
                          Probably will be at least another year till they’re discounted heavily.
                          The 2019's will be the new Frontier, with a planned introduction of just after new years 2019. I would suppose production of 2018’s will continue until at least November, to keep dealers supplied. I will likely be a buyer in the November to February time frame. But I can wait, the Ranger still runs fine.
                          Last edited by white trash wagon; 07-24-2018, 04:32 PM.

Comment

A good friend of mine has one that has been rock solid minus the heater core leaking, but he is well over 100k on the odometer.

Comment

We use them as fleet vehicles at AutoZone, well I think they have switched to the Colorado's now, it's all just AutoNation network fleet...

Anyways I've had 3 frontiers, put over 80k miles on each of them, and never replaced anything but tires. I've witnessed fleet take vehicles less than a year old because they sold so quickly in the second hand fleet market. Car carrier will just show up randomly and drop a new one behind the buildings with a notice to drop the old one at the dealer

Ford fiestas are pieces of shit. Fuck every one of them. Fleet thinks it's just hilarious to tell me they have to be serviced by the dealer because it's under warranty, but suprise! Commercial use voids manufacturer warranty!

Comment

Working...
                              X