Pool experts aka svo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
    With house prices set to fall...I wouldn't rush into anything.
    I wish you'd tell other investors that cause we can't find shit for the past 2 months.

Now this house is for the family and me so I don't scare easy but this house is scary haah

Comment

Originally posted by War Machine View Post
      I wish you'd tell other investors that cause we can't find shit for the past 2 months.

Now this house is for the family and me so I don't scare easy but this house is scary haah
      With us taking in 1k ppl everyday here in Tx, I don't see house prices or rental prices goin anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by War Machine View Post

Maaan, unless you have the funds to bulldoze and start fresh, its usually not worth it, unless you're doing all the updates/work yourself...
        Originally posted by Silverback
        Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
          Maaan, unless you have the funds to bulldoze and start fresh, its usually not worth it, unless you're doing all the updates/work yourself...
          It's tough, we act as our own general contractor and we do heavy rehabs, full guts.

Comment

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
            Without pointing fingers at anyone I will add a couple of more comments.

A 3 horsepower pump is typically too large to be useful for anything other than a water feature. Unless you have a several hundred foot run from the pool to the equipment a 3 horsepower pump will move more water than the filter can effectively handle and it will cause damage to the internals of the filter. Using a very large commercial sand filter would be the exception in this instance, but you had better have plumbed the pool in 2 and 1/2 inch plumbing

On a pool without water features, a hot tub, or an elaborate lighting system there is no reason to add an automated controller. There's nothing there to automate and a regular mechanical time clock for the pool cleaner and the filter pump is all you need. An automated system simply adds complexity, cost and another very expensive point of failure.

Don't add a saltwater chlorinating system to a pool, ever, under any circumstances, I'm not joking. Salt water is basically acid and it dissolves or kills everything around the pool including the pool itself and the pool equipment. Just because your pool isn't green doesn't mean that you don't have serious problems. A saltwater chlorinating system is itself a serious problem.

Edit: Saltwater is really the exact opposite of acid but it's easier to explain it as acid to people that aren't familiar with water chemistry. The end results are the same.
            X2
            Salt is as we know killer for cars( rust ).
            Other system I have seen is the UV light. But chlorine with regular maintenance is not bad.

Comment

I have a SWG and still have to dose with chlorine. My SWG does not keep up unless I run the pump 14+ hours during summer months.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
              2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Originally posted by fordracing19 View Post
                I have a SWG and still have to dose with chlorine. My SWG does not keep up unless I run the pump 14+ hours during summer months.

Most of the salt systems produce enough chlorine to satisfy the pool's chlorine demand. If you are having issues chances are it is related to poor water chemistry, a very large pool, or a very high bather load.
                Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Most of the salt systems produce enough chlorine to satisfy the pool's chlorine demand. If you are having issues chances are it is related to poor water chemistry, a very large pool, or a very high bather load.
                  Jandy plc14000. Pool is 30k gallon.

2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Originally posted by fordracing19 View Post
                    Jandy plc14000. Pool is 30k gallon.

That cell should have no problem keeping up with summer demand...something else is off, low flow, low salt, extremely high pH, low cynauric acid level or the cell could just be worn out...

Comment

Originally posted by black50 View Post
                      That cell should have no problem keeping up with summer demand...something else is off, low flow, low salt, extremely high pH, low cynauric acid level or the cell could just be worn out...
                      Ever since new it has been this way. Pool builder says need to run the pump 14+ hours for my size pool. Wouldnt be as big of a deal with a variable speed, but mine is a 2hp single. I run is 3-5 hours and top off with liquid chlorine.

2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

^^^^ A residential pool needs to be turned over at least once per day. If your pool really is 30000 gallons it's safe to say that it needs to run for about 10 hours per day during the summer.

You can change to a variable speed motor and they work well if you have a cartridge filter or a sand filter. They don't work worth a shit if you have a DE filter.

If your salt chlorination system is not keeping up with the chlorine demand I am pretty sure you have another issue going on. A good rule of thumb is to add stabilizer anytime you add salt. If you don't have stabilizer in the water, and you haven't kept the pH under control, you'll never be able to keep your pool the way it should be
                        Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

I have a de filter.

2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

^^^^ A residential pool needs to be turned over at least once per day. If your pool really is 30000 gallons it's safe to say that it needs to run for about 10 hours per day during the summer.

You can change to a variable speed motor and they work well if you have a cartridge filter or a sand filter. They don't work worth a shit if you have a DE filter.

If your salt chlorination system is not keeping up with the chlorine demand I am pretty sure you have another issue going on. A good rule of thumb is to add stabilizer anytime you add salt. If you don't have stabilizer in the water, and you haven't kept the pH under control, you'll never be able to keep your pool the way it should be
                            I have the 4 speed intellipro and the 60 DE on mine, and it works like a champ. I think I run it 8 hours on speed 3 and 4 hours on speed 2 or something. It puts out so much more water pressure at way less amps then the big ass single speed did. I had zero issues for 5 years until I shut it off one winter and it froze up as you know. I have a old ass AC unit, and run a pond year round, electric bill never gets over 250.00 in the summer. Right now, running the pool and pond, I average about 80 bucks. Of course I have a gas furnace.
                            Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
                              I have the 4 speed intellipro and the 60 DE on mine, and it works like a champ. I think I run it 8 hours on speed 3 and 4 hours on speed 2 or something. It puts out so much more water pressure at way less amps then the big ass single speed did. I had zero issues for 5 years until I shut it off one winter and it froze up as you know. I have a old ass AC unit, and run a pond year round, electric bill never gets over 250.00 in the summer. Right now, running the pool and pond, I average about 80 bucks. Of course I have a gas furnace.
                              DE filter's require a hard hit or surge in water flow the instant the pump starts and no variable speed pump on the market provides what it needs. Since you only have experience dealing with one filter you do not see the difference in performance that I do.

Nearly every pool that I look at has too big of a pump. There is nothing wrong with running a single speed motor on a pump as long as the pump is appropriately sized for the pool, the plumbing, and the filter. There are some inherent differences between the type of motor that is used on a variable speed pump and the motor that is on a regular pump. The variable speed motors are a permanent magnet motor instead of an inductive one and there are energy savings to be had from that style of motor that cannot be accomplished otherwise.

Comment

Without pointing fingers at anyone I will add a couple of more comments.

A 3 horsepower pump is typically too large to be useful for anything other than a water feature. Unless you have a several hundred foot run from the pool to the equipment a 3 horsepower pump will move more water than the filter can effectively handle and it will cause damage to the internals of the filter. Using a very large commercial sand filter would be the exception in this instance, but you had better have plumbed the pool in 2 and 1/2 inch plumbing

On a pool without water features, a hot tub, or an elaborate lighting system there is no reason to add an automated controller. There's nothing there to automate and a regular mechanical time clock for the pool cleaner and the filter pump is all you need. An automated system simply adds complexity, cost and another very expensive point of failure.

Don't add a saltwater chlorinating system to a pool, ever, under any circumstances, I'm not joking. Salt water is basically acid and it dissolves or kills everything around the pool including the pool itself and the pool equipment. Just because your pool isn't green doesn't mean that you don't have serious problems. A saltwater chlorinating system is itself a serious problem.

Edit: Saltwater is really the exact opposite of acid but it's easier to explain it as acid to people that aren't familiar with water chemistry. The end results are the same.
                                Because I don't know otherwise, I reached out to a friend of 30+yrs who's been in the industry for a minute or two and who'm I regard as the best, here's his response.

"The first point is just common knowledge, to anyone that knows anything about the hydraulic makeup of a pool.
                                The second point seems to have been made by someone that's not educated on current automation options, such as the Hayward VS Omni. http://www.hayward-pool.com/shop/en/...s-omni-upgrade
                                Technology is advancing rapidly, and these days it's hard to find anyone that doesn't want to be able to control their equipment from anywhere in the world from their phone or smart device. The seller/installer is taking money out of his/her own pocket by not offering their customers the latest options available. Chances are if the customer is told all they need is a time clock, then they find out they had far more advanced options for controllability after the fact, they will certainly be upset that they were not given the option, and most likely will not contact the installer for future service or repair. Installers like this will be phased out soon if they do not get up to speed. Also, what homeowner doesn't want to save $ on their electric bill?Beginning in 2021 all whole pumps sold will be dual speed or variable speed, single speed pumps will no longer be manufactured.
                                Lastly, pools/spas can be corrosive with or without salt when not properly maintained.
                                If the pool equipment is properly bonded, as it should be per the national electric code, and any stone work that is located in and around the pool area is properly sealed to prevent degradation, which will occur when stone is taken out of its natural state. And the chemistry is maintained properly, and often as it should be anyway, then a salt pool is no more corrosive than a regular chlorine pool. Who wouldn't want the benefits of having soft skin and silky hair when exiting the pool or spa. Rather than dry skin, damaged hair and red eyes, not to mention the smell from chloramines that comes with swimming in a regular chlorine pool.
                                Education is key, some people are intimidated by change, even though changes and advancements are imminent. If someone is taking on the responsibility of a customers backyard getaway, it's imperative that they are well educated with what's best for the homeowners oasis that's worth tens of thousands of dollars."
                                Last edited by Tx Redneck; 02-19-2019, 10:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X