2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee ASD issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee ASD issue

I know, I know, don't buy a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I bought it anyway, earlier this year for my sister in law to drive because she is taking care of our son. To date it has only had an issue with the started. Got that taken care of. Now the ASD relay is buzzing loudly. After some research, I found that we could put a jumper in, in place of the relay, and get it to run. A temporary solution, but a solution none the less.

Everything I have read points to the PCM being the most likely course. Has anyone dealt with this type of issue on the Grand Cherokee or Dodge in general? We swapped relays to see if the relay was bad, but there was no change in the condition. I'm seeing a myriad of solutions on the Jeep forums. PCM, bad crank position sensor, bad injector, a shorted wire, bad alternator, etc.

Turn key on, efan comes on, fuel pump constantly primes, and the ASD relay buzzes loudly (opening/closing). Once the jumper is in place, it runs just fine, of course because we have eliminated the "logic" circuit that opens/closes to say that there is a problem.
    Originally posted by Leah
    Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Sell it. Get something newer.

Comment

Yup, sell it quick! I bought a '97 JGC and it was cherry, but it had all sorts of grounding issues. The dash lights would go out and not work, random things like the wipers, electric window motors. It sucked too because it had the inline 6 and it was rock solid.
      I have no idea why they can't build a quality vehicle, they must get all of their interior and electrical stuff from JC Whitney...
      Originally posted by Silverback
      Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

I wish selling it and getting something newer was an option right now. But its not. Hell I paid $750 for it and bought it from the original owner so I know the full history of it!

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
          I wish selling it and getting something newer was an option right now. But its not. Hell I paid $750 for it and bought it from the original owner so I know the full history of it!
          Mmmmkay, I bought mine from the original owner as well, low miles, all maintenance records, never wrecked and it was still a piece of shit.
          Attached Files
          Originally posted by Silverback
          Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

They are nice looking rides, but I don't remember anybody who didn't have problem after problem. Brother inlaw had one for a few years, it was always something until he got tired of that and sold it.
            WH

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
              I can shit in a box and sell it to you, you'll know the history, where it came from, etc. I'll sell it to you cheap.

All that aside, it's still a cheap piece of shit.
              "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the constructive conversation to get it running properly again! I knew I could count on you guys!

If I was to sell it and find something different, it is much easier to sell something that is not running due to some southern engineering!

Comment

You should post up on a mustang board, see if they have the answer for you.
                  "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                    You should post up on a mustang board, see if they have the answer for you.
                    I dunno, I hear the mustang boards are all full of weirdos!

I knew we had some mechanic type folks here and the ASD issue isn't limited to the JEEP, was hoping that someone had some input on the situation. I haven't ruled out selling it if I find a good deal that isn't much more than an even swap $$$ wise. If I have a good running JEEP that isn't rigged up, I could drive it to work and sell it for at least double what I paid for it to a day laborer.

Comment

I've repaired that issue in the past and can't remember what the remedy was at this point, it's too long ago. I'd have to look at the wiring diagrams again to even begin to remember. Pm me tomorrow and remind me to see what I can dig up.

Comment

Working...
                      X