Stolen gun, failsafes for identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stolen gun, failsafes for identification

Good morning all and greetings from England.

It dawned on me yesterday that one of the firearms that I possess (In the US) does not have personal confirmation that the firearm is legitimate.

What I mean by this is that the firearm that I possess was traded for ammunition back in 2009. I have never checked to see if it was stolen as the guy seemed easy to trade with and was not suspicious when trading. Anywho, the gun was a shit trade but I wanted to know if there is a way of running the serial number on a database or perhaps someone can recommend me a police officer that can run the number for me so that I can either rest assured that it is not stolen and perhaps sell it forward on a gun buy back or turn it in/ destroy the firearm as its not worth in scrap.

I don't think there are any complications at this time as there has been no issues for the last 8 years. However I would like to get rid of it if it is indeed illegitimately traded to me. If any of you could give any advice I would appreciate it.

Regards

Mr_Fiux

Add me on PUBG!
    First hand witness at the failure of public healthcare.

If your local PD is friendly you can call them with the serial number. Considering how they will nail your ass for possession a stolen gun it is kind of funny that there is no public resource provided by the government to run the serial numbers. I lent a gun to a friend once that came from a gun store and he got arrested with it on a traffic stop when it came up stolen. It took years to get him cleared and to get the gun back.
    Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
      If your local PD is friendly you can call them with the serial number. Considering how they will nail your ass for possession a stolen gun it is kind of funny that there is no public resource provided by the government to run the serial numbers. I lent a gun to a friend once that came from a gun store and he got arrested with it on a traffic stop when it came up stolen. It took years to get him cleared and to get the gun back.
      If it came up stolen then how did you get the gun back?

Unfortunately the only way I know of to check is to contact the police.

Comment

Originally posted by Jose View Post
        If it came up stolen then how did you get the gun back?
        The original owner traded it to a gun store in Lewisville called Nix Shooting Supplies sometime before his home was burglarized. He had a list of guns that he gave the PD and his insurance company and included my gun on the list. By the time my issue with it came up the gun store was long out of business but I had the paper work from when I bought it and I contacted the insurance company that had paid off on it and the original owner told them he had forgotten that he no longer owned the gun at the time of the burglary. It still took a few years to resolve but it was a very valuable gun and I was not going to give up.

Edit: I was able to get the charges dropped quickly but getting the gun returned to me is what took a long time.
        Last edited by svauto-erotic855; 09-25-2017, 07:42 AM.
        Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

The original owner traded it to a gun store in Lewisville called Nix Shooting Supplies sometime before his home was burglarized. He had a list of guns that he gave the PD and his insurance company and included my gun on the list. By the time my issue with it came up the gun store was long out of business but I had the paper work from when I bought it and I contacted the insurance company that had paid off on it and the original owner told them he had forgotten that he no longer owned the gun at the time of the burglary. It still took a few years to resolve but it was a very valuable gun and I was not going to give up.

Edit: I was able to get the charges dropped quickly but getting the gun returned to me is what took a long time.
          Wow what a PITA!

Comment

^^^ It was worth the headache. I paid a few thousand (I think) for the gun back when that was kind of big money and if I could bear to part with it today I could get 35K or more for it and the accompanying accoutrements.
            Last edited by svauto-erotic855; 09-25-2017, 08:17 AM.

Comment

Considering the possible implications this can cause. It is going up for destruction!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Fiux View Post
                Considering the possible implications this can cause. It is going up for destruction!
                Give it to me and I will properly dispose of it.

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong but calling the local PD will only get it checked in their own system, no? I assume they can't access other PD's system?

OP, before destroying it, what if you call(or visit) your surrounding PD's (assuming they only check their own databases) and get something confirming that it does not come up as stolen. This way if it ever comes up you have proof that you at least did your due diligence.

Comment

Guns go on a national hot sheet like a stolen car does.

Comment

^^^ It was worth the headache. I paid a few thousand (I think) for the gun back when that was kind of big money and if I could bear to part with it today I could get 35K or more for it and the accompanying accoutrements.
                      What gun was it?

Comment

Originally posted by Jose View Post
                        What gun was it?
                        A Winchester model 21 that came with an extra set of barrels.

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
                          Correct me if I'm wrong but calling the local PD will only get it checked in their own system, no? I assume they can't access other PD's system?

OP, before destroying it, what if you call(or visit) your surrounding PD's (assuming they only check their own databases) and get something confirming that it does not come up as stolen. This way if it ever comes up you have proof that you at least did your due diligence.
                          Hi George. My Local police would be very intrigued as to why I have a gun and I might get arrested on the spot. (I live in England) Also for arguments sake. Its a Lorcin in .380 auto

Comment

Hi George. My Local police would be very intrigued as to why I have a gun and I might get arrested on the spot. (I live in England) Also for arguments sake. Its a Lorcin in .380 auto
                            It should be able to just destroy itself then.
                            "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

I will ask again today. I do hate the fact there is somewhere you can't have a gun checked for stolen before buying. Usually, I tell people, bring it to the station, because if it is stolen it has to go with me. If I run a stolen weapon the originating agency gets a hit, so not like it is confidential. Just because you have stolen gun, does not mean you will be automatically arrested. The originating agency will want to know your name and story behind it though.
                              Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Working...
                              X