Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• collision bros!

did you bros see this?

NORTH TEXAS (CBS 11 NEWS) – The survivors of a fiery crash claim a dealership’s body shop cut corners on a repair job and caused their car buckle in a wreck.

Marcia Seebachan examined the crumpled car Tuesday afternoon, seeing it in person for the first time since she says she almost died inside. “It makes so much more sense now… some of the things I’ve heard,” she said.

Seebachan has no memory of the crash in 2013, only waking up in the hospital four days later on Christmas Day. Her husband, though, remembers the wet roads, the collision with a car that lost control, and the fire that burned his legs and feet. “Those memories are part of his daily life,” she said.

According to the couple, it was only recently that they learned the used Honda Fit they bought four months before the crash had prior roof damage that had been repaired with industrial glue.

The vehicle’s previous owner had taken it to John Eagle Collision Center to have hail dents repaired and employees replaced the entire roof.

The couple’s attorney, Todd Tracy, says Honda’s repair manual specifies the roof should have been welded back onto the body of the car and that is warns people can be “killed or seriously hurt” if instructions aren’t followed.

“At some point you trust professionals to do their job and do it well,”said Seebachan.

In a deposition this month, John Eagle’s body shop director, Boyce Willis, admitted it did not follow Honda’s manufacturer recommendations, but still defended the decision. “Bonding is better than welding,” said Willis. “It’s bonded not every one inch; it’s bonded the entire length of the roof rail.”

Experts hired by the Seebachan’s law firm disagree. They claim a faulty roof repair is to blame for compromising the car’s structure and the severity of the couple’s injuries in the crash.

“There’s just nothing in our lives that hasn’t been touched by this,” said Seebachan.

While Seebachan says the lawsuit may not change anything, she says it’s helping her family cope. “When all your life is turned upside down, you want answers as to why, you want to understand why.”

Calls to the John Eagle Collision Center and its attorneys have not been returned. A Better Business Bureau report, though, shows the business currently holds an A+ rating.

it is already on bsb too:
    In a deposition, the body shop director said the shop performed repairs “according to the insurance company,” not based on the OEM procedures.

looks like the fire's heat let the bonding agent release after the crash. welded or not, i doubt the roof would have helped in this crash.

A very strong adhesive has a strength of 5,000 to 6,000 psi. A low strength steel has a strength of 33,000 psi and up. That doesnt even account for the anisotropic behavior of adhesives, the age degradation, prep and temperature dependencies...etc.

Roofs can also contribute a lot to the structural integrity of a car (hence why hard tops are better track cats than verts in nearly all cases).

I would be very upset if the car wasn't repaired per OEM requirements. The Honda engineers know much better than some technician that has a vested interest in the easier way out.

Comment

If they don't epoxy them at the factory then they got welded at my shop. I know Saturn was one of the first to bolt-on and glue panels. That's straight up laziness right there, it only takes a few minutes to spot weld a roof panel once its aligned correctly.
      Originally posted by Silverback
      Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

They should have tacked the 4 corners but it is a ok to use panel bond in that way. The issue of this accident had nothing to do with the roof, they are just fishing for a lawsuit when they should just be glad to be breathing. A roof skin is not a structural part of a cars structure, and carfax is a scam. All the news is doing is fear mongering like usual with inaccurate info.

Comment

I've been saying Carfax is a joke for years. Insurance companies are not going to just give away CLUE information for free. I really dont think Carfax is using CLUE, it must be some other information system.
          Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Mc View Post
            They should have tacked the 4 corners but it is a ok to use panel bond in that way. The issue of this accident had nothing to do with the roof, they are just fishing for a lawsuit when they should just be glad to be breathing. A roof skin is not a structural part of a cars structure, and carfax is a scam. All the news is doing is fear mongering like usual with inaccurate info.
            This.

CN

Comment

I hate Carfax!! They're liars half the damn time. They're whole business model is based on the general public's ignorance.

Roofs should be tacked but as far as I know Panel bond has been used for at least a decade and was tested to be as strong as welds.

But also, we are talking a small low end Honda that had the shit knocked out of it....

Comment

Originally posted by Shaggin Wagon View Post

Roofs should be tacked but as far as I know Panel bond has been used for at least a decade and was tested to be as strong as welds.
                Yes, this is true. In the ICAR course I took, you still had to 40/80 grit grind the area where the bonding agent/epoxy was used, as well as clean it properly and spot welding was still used. IMO if it were applied with the spot welding it made the panel even stronger, but I hear you on this lawsuit, they are making it seem like JE Collision just used some gorilla glue on the roof panel...

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
                  Yes, this is true. In the ICAR course I took, you still had to 40/80 grit grind the area where the bonding agent/epoxy was used, as well as clean it properly and spot welding was still used. IMO if it were applied with the spot welding it made the panel even stronger, but I hear you on this lawsuit, they are making it seem like JE Collision just used some gorilla glue on the roof panel...
                  Yup.... agree a 1000 percent...Just like in anything else, the prep is the foundation of a good job.

Comment

I hate Carfax!! They're liars half the damn time. They're whole business model is based on the general public's ignorance.
                    Is it that they lie, or that they just can't possibly know everything? If they're actively lying I'd like to know.
                    WH

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
                      Is it that they lie, or that they just can't possibly know everything? If they're actively lying I'd like to know.
                      I thinks its more inaccurate info, but the trouble it causes people is ridiculous, customers and dealers alike.

Comment

I thinks its more inaccurate info, but the trouble it causes people is ridiculous, customers and dealers alike.
                        A good body man or auto paint re finisher is waaaay more valuable than any fucking Carfax type software ever made. There a lots of people with money, all you have to do is pay CASH and there will never be a record of a car getting fixed at sole or big box collision repair center.
                        An experienced painter will be able to tell the subtle differences of the DOI of the clear coat and even color if not matched correctly.

*Distinctiveness of image
                        Last edited by Rick Modena; 07-28-2017, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
                          Nobody is required to report to them. They usually get info from police reports and dealerships/inspection stations. As stated they run off consumers ignorance.

I have used panel bond on all kinds of things for years, it is great stuff and stronger than welding if done correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Mc View Post
                            Nobody is required to report to them. They usually get info from police reports and dealerships/inspection stations. As stated they run off consumers ignorance.

I have used panel bond on all kinds of things for years, it is great stuff and stronger than welding if done correctly.
                            Not to mention nothing is reported if it was someone who fixed their own shit, ie you hit somethin at low sleed and replaced a fender yourself. But people are under the impression these days carfax has 100% of the info about all vehicles.
                            I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

I was so hoping this was about Fender Mender.

Comment

Working...
                              X