No announcement yet.

Best deal on primers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was told the bottom of the case is different and doing that is seriously dangerous.
    Originally posted by Marisa
    we women are all irrational and emotional and insane...some just hide it better than others.

truth.

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
      I have more brass than gander mountain, send your requests my way.
      I need some .458 SOCOM brass. Starline from Midway is ~$85/ 100
      G'Day Mate

Comment

Originally posted by red89notch View Post
        I was told the bottom of the case is different and doing that is seriously dangerous.
        A lot of people will call things dangerous that they don't understand. I was told making .300blk cases from .223 was highly dangerous by a group of dumbasses on arfcom before anyone had any experience with it.

I know there are a few shooters at Jcssa that do this exact thing and I've seen them up there regularly without missing hands and arms.
        Last edited by CJ; 01-30-2016, 10:59 AM.
        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

It's just a rimmed cartridge of low pressure it shouldn't be a big deal.
          "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Originally posted by Grimpala View Post
            I need some .458 SOCOM brass. Starline from Midway is ~$85/ 100
            I have some grimp, but not that much, unfortunately. If you go to another group event I'll give you what I have.
            "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
            "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

I have some grimp, but not that much, unfortunately. If you go to another group event I'll give you what I have.
              Cool man, I'll keep that in mind, i appreciate it.
              G'Day Mate

Comment

Midway has a coupon code for primers, no hazmat fee if you spend $150
                Originally posted by Marisa
                we women are all irrational and emotional and insane...some just hide it better than others.

truth.

Comment

I need some Small Rifle Magnum primers. It's looking like Cabela's is the cheapest buy right now (5,000 CCI 450s for $189.44, which is $.50 cheaper than Grafs after shipping). Anybody else I should consider?

I just need about 2,000 for now, so I'd only be buying the extra 3,000 to bring the average cost down.
                  Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                  HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by Nash B. View Post
                    I need some Small Rifle Magnum primers. It's looking like Cabela's is the cheapest buy right now (5,000 CCI 450s for $189.44, which is $.50 cheaper than Grafs after shipping). Anybody else I should consider?

I just need about 2,000 for now, so I'd only be buying the extra 3,000 to bring the average cost down.
                    Those work great, but I don't buy CCI because they're way too expensive. Also I don't like how they form their cups. They tend to have pretty sharp edges and sometimes seat weird. But, since you're buying SRM's, it's sometimes hard to find good deals, or cheaper primers. Honestly that isn't that bad of a price for SRM's.

In need of bulk reloading supplies? AmmunitionStore.com offers the best deals on ammo boxes, reloading supplies in bulk and much more.

That's cheaper than what you're looking at, but you have a hazmat, and sometimes you can order from Cabelas without the hazmat fee when they run specials.

I will volunteer a little experience with a crapshoot gamble. I bought some of the cheap ass S&B primers from Cabela's when they were in stock, and they're probably the best damn primers I've ever used. Next time they come up I'll order enough for years to come.

A good resource for finding up to date reloading prices is http://www.gunbot.net/
                    Last edited by CJ; 07-28-2016, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Those work great, but I don't buy CCI because they're way too expensive. Also I don't like how they form their cups. They tend to have pretty sharp edges and sometimes seat weird. But, since you're buying SRM's, it's sometimes hard to find good deals, or cheaper primers. Honestly that isn't that bad of a price for SRM's.

In need of bulk reloading supplies? AmmunitionStore.com offers the best deals on ammo boxes, reloading supplies in bulk and much more.

That's cheaper than what you're looking at, but you have a hazmat, and sometimes you can order from Cabelas without the hazmat fee when they run specials.

I will volunteer a little experience with a crapshoot gamble. I bought some of the cheap ass S&B primers from Cabela's when they were in stock, and they're probably the best damn primers I've ever used. Next time they come up I'll order enough for years to come.

A good resource for finding up to date reloading prices is http://www.gunbot.net/
                      They treat primers as hazmat but not ammunition? I did not know that.

Comment

I've always used Winchester because I liked being able to use the same large pistol for standard and magnum, and they've generally been easier to find. I've gone through a few thousand CCI without issues but I've heard great things about S&B and will be picking up some when i see them.
                        Originally posted by Craizie View Post
                        They treat primers as hazmat but not ammunition? I did not know that.
                        yeah, powder and primers
                        HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by Nash B. View Post
                          I've always used Winchester because I liked being able to use the same large pistol for standard and magnum, and they've generally been easier to find. I've gone through a few thousand CCI without issues but I've heard great things about S&B and will be picking up some when i see them.
                          yeah, powder and primers
                          CCI is great for pistols. I think they're probably the highest quality primer as far as reliability goes, and I like nickel plated primers. However, their small rifle primers always hang up on swaged primer pockets in my 650 because of the burrs. I had a 3% hangup rate on CCI primers across 10,000rds. I have a 0% hangup rate on S&B primers, for comparison.

Wolf primers are also great. Thank god they changed the cup from copper to brass. I had probably 10 copper cups detonate on seating. I bought like 50k primers from wideners when they were $14.95/1000 several years ago. I felt like I had PTSD trying to load them, always fearing one was about to go off and make me deaf again. I was so pleased when I finally finished them up. Unfortunately Mr. Fiux informed me I could have his 10k he had left, so I'm going to start that all over again. Since switching to brass cups I've never had an issue, but they do hang up more often than CCI, even.

I checked my shelf and I have about 700 CCI 450's circa 1970, they work great. I'd be willing to trade for some standard primers if you're interested.

Comment

Standard pistol or standard rifle? I don't have any standard rifle although i did pick up a box of CCI SPM tonight (that's all Cabela's had, even though their website showed in stock SRM and SP, and limited stock SPM). I'm going to call the one in ft. Worth tomorrow before making the drive down there
                            HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

I use Winchester on pistol. Like Nash said it's just nice being able to use them for both and I don't have to worry about getting another type to store.

Rifle I typically only use federal. Win primers were great for velocity but we're noticeably smaller when seating.
                              "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Working...
                              X