No announcement yet.

1/12th Scale 1969 Camaro Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, with the rain yesterday I sat down and did some work on this thing. A little body work, fixing what was undone by the brake fluid bath, and I started on the hood. I'm going for an autocross/pro touring type car. I wanted something a little different so I decided the hood and other various body parts needed to be carbon fiber.

So, I set out to make the decal for the hood. First thing you need to do is make a template:

Then transfer it to the back of the decal sheet:

Cut it out and it is ready for the long application process.

After an hour of using decal solvent to soften the decal, smooth with a q-tip, and cuss. This is what I had

I ended up with irrepairable wrinkles in all of these locations:

So. I removed the decal and put it away for the day. I talked with a few people about it, decided to split it into 2 decals, and reapply, this time with the help of a hair dryer:

First half

And all together, notice the direction change:

It has a few flaws, but all in all it will get the job done

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Originally posted by Leah
    Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

• great work.

Comment

• That is bad ass!!

I bought a huge box of model cars the other day at a garage sale. All Corvettes. One is a 1/8 scale '65 Corvette that has a few parts taken off the trees, but that's it. The others are all 1/24 or 1/25, just about every kit manufacturer is represented, mostly older kits and some new ones, with C1s through C5s. Is anyone here interested in them? I thought I might sell them on ebay, but if any local modelers want them I can get some pictures.
        When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

• Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
          That is bad ass!!

I bought a huge box of model cars the other day at a garage sale. All Corvettes. One is a 1/8 scale '65 Corvette that has a few parts taken off the trees, but that's it. The others are all 1/24 or 1/25, just about every kit manufacturer is represented, mostly older kits and some new ones, with C1s through C5s. Is anyone here interested in them? I thought I might sell them on ebay, but if any local modelers want them I can get some pictures.
          Send me some pictures. Especially of that 1/8. If I'm not interested, I should be able to help you get top dollar!

Comment

• Well, I'm an impatient SOB. So, today I accomplished some CF work, body work, primer, and base color. It is not perfect, and I am OK with that. I am building this in the spirit of bad penny. A car that was driven, and auto crossed, so it wasn't perfect!
            It is windy here today, so I sprayed the SOM in my storage shed, and it left me with a few spots that will need cleaned up. I'll let it cure for a few days and hit it with some 1k grit paper and re-spray.

From this:

To this

Comment

• Well, I'm fighting with the base coat. The spray paint I'm using is having an issue with paint building up on the can right in front of the spray nozzle. This is resulting in paint splatter on the body. You can see it in the picture in the lower right corner:

This is the 3rd time it has happened. I'm trying to take my time and get the base coat as smooth as possible. However, I'm running out of paint. So, instead of scuffing the whole thing and re shooting, I'm going to sand out the hood and cowl, re shoot, and then clear it. I don't want to get so frustrated that I walk away from it again.

I'm not sure what possessed me to change the color to black. This sunset orange metallic is bad ass.

Comment

• I'm curious, do you use a 3d printer for any model parts?
                "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

• All this meticulous detail and expense and you're using rattle can? I'm actually a fan of what can be accomplished with rattle cans, but in this instance I would invest in an affordable single-action air brush. You don't need anything super fancy for model car finishes, just something that's consistent.

Comment

• Originally posted by CJ View Post
                    I'm curious, do you use a 3d printer for any model parts?
                    I have several parts that are 3D printed. Some of my own design, some of others. I don't print them myself. I use shapeways. The machines to get the resolution I am after cost too much for me to justify.
                    Originally posted by BLAKE View Post
                    All this meticulous detail and expense and you're using rattle can? I'm actually a fan of what can be accomplished with rattle cans, but in this instance I would invest in an affordable single-action air brush. You don't need anything super fancy for model car finishes, just something that's consistent.
                    I have a couple of Iwata airbrushes. I had an issue with tiger striping the first time I sprayed it SOM which led to me going to a solid black. I paid $25-30 for a couple of ounces of SOM from English Color. This time I decided I would get a better finish with shake shake. The clear will be shot from my airbrish. It will get several coats of shopline clear.

Comment

• I should have known you'd be all over that, lol. Can't blame me for tryin'.

Comment

• Originally posted by BLAKE View Post
                        I should have known you'd be all over that, lol. Can't blame me for tryin'.
                        I've been working on this thing for so long, I'm trying to avoid as many obstacles as possible. So much so that I'm considering ditching the twin turbos for a whipple. I'm struggling with the wow factor of the turbos vs. The simplicity of the roots style supercharger.

Comment

• Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
                          I have several parts that are 3D printed. Some of my own design, some of others. I don't print them myself. I use shapeways. The machines to get the resolution I am after cost too much for me to justify.
                          That's a shame, a .1mm layer height (I would think) would be sufficient for this kind of work.
                          "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                          "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

• I'm not familiar with the specifics, prices have probably come down since I created my first parts. The other part of it is not being really proficient modelling stuff in 3D.

Here is the kind of detail I am after

Comment

• Damn.

Comment

• Originally posted by BLAKE View Post
                                Damn.
                                The guy that designed it has internals available as well. If it wasn't so damb expensive, I'd build a 1/4 scale LS1 diorama

Comment

Working...
                                X