Non stick skillets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non stick skillets

So every 15 minutes I see some ad for a new frying pan/skillet it seems. Anyone have one they like for something as simple as frying an egg?

I got a set of calphalon pans from Amazon a couple years ago, they do pretty well, but just wondered if any of these copper pans or whatnot are better.

If you do use one, do you add any butter or PAM to avoid sticking, or just crack the egg right in it?

I use mostly cast iron, but we do have a set of those non-stick pans (ceramic I think). Still use butter or bacon grease for things like eggs though.

It seems to me anything non-stick cannot be heated to real high temps, which is fine for eggs. However, I like the durability and flexibility of cast iron; so we tend to use that for 90% of our stove top and even oven cooking purposes.
    Originally posted by MR EDD
    U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
      I use mostly cast iron, but we do have a set of those non-stick pans (ceramic I think). Still use butter or bacon grease for things like eggs though.

It seems to me anything non-stick cannot be heated to real high temps, which is fine for eggs. However, I like the durability and flexibility of cast iron; so we tend to use that for 90% of our stove top and even oven cooking purposes.
      I have a set of cast iron pots and pans, but ceramic coated, so not your "old school" cast iron. I think they are Le Crueset or something like that. Work good, but also require lube.

Comment

I don't think you'll find anything you like more than the Le Creusets.

Regular Cast iron is the original non stick. They work well unless you don't maintain them.
        Originally posted by BradM
        But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
        Originally posted by Leah
        In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

serious question, what is the best way to maintain them? i have a true cast iron skillet that i have been trying to use every chance i can to 'season it' if that is even good for it.
          THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

Originally posted by naynay View Post
            serious question, what is the best way to maintain them? i have a true cast iron skillet that i have been trying to use every chance i can to 'season it' if that is even good for it.
            There's a good amount of video out there about 'seasoning', cleaning and re-seasoning cast iron. Mostly it involves keeping the damn thing oiled up like an infantry rifle.
            Originally posted by PGreenCobra
            I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
            Originally posted by Trip McNeely
            Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
            dont downshift!!
            Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
              I don't think you'll find anything you like more than the Le Creusets.

Regular Cast iron is the original non stick. They work well unless you don't maintain them.
              Not for frying an egg, they are just OK I'd say. Butter works best, PAM sucks. In my calphalon pans, PAM works best.

Comment

You know we're getting old when...

Comment

Originally posted by naynay View Post
                  As Don mentioned, there's a lot of videos. Kind of depends on your starting point too.

Serious Eats is a good resource for this kind of stuff. I disagree with them on the soap thing. I try not to use soap, but sometimes you have to. Just make sure to season again when you do. You can clean with salt and a paper towel in between deep cleanings.

Originally posted by BradM
                  But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                  Originally posted by Leah
                  In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Copper square chef pan. And to Kathy Mitchell round copper pan are amazing.
                    sigpic🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Without my gun hobby. I would cut off my own dick and let the rats eat it...
                    🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                      As Don mentioned, there's a lot of videos. Kind of depends on your starting point too.

Serious Eats is a good resource for this kind of stuff. I disagree with them on the soap thing. I try not to use soap, but sometimes you have to. Just make sure to season again when you do. You can clean with salt and a paper towel in between deep cleanings.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/09/h...-cookware.html
                      I've had the same cast iron skillet for over 20 years. Mom got it for me shortly before I graduated college and helped me season it like hers. Nothing beats it. I've always had good luck cleaning anything stuck in mine by adding water to it while it's still hot. It seems to steam/sizzle anything stuck in there right away allowing me to scrape it if needed. From there I instantly dry it out and then wipe it down with oil lightly. I use it for all sorts of stuff and have a cast iron dutch oven as well.

Comment

Working...
                      X