Grand Prix (1966)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grand Prix (1966)

I was in the mood for a racing movie and Google told me this one was highly rated (100% on RT), so I picked up a used DVD from Movie Trading Company for $10.

Holy crap! That was ten bucks well spent. The cinematography and sound in this is absolutely top notch. Filmed right in the middle of the 1966 F1 season, and it was magical.

The plot and pacing is typical 60's, which is to say slow and not super complicated, but the acting is solid and the sights and sounds are unparalleled. It's nothing short of amazing what they were able to capture in camera with no special effects.

Directed by John Frankenheimer (remember that amazing car chase in Ronin, that late 90's Deniro flick? Yeah, same guy).

James Garner is the epitome of 60's cool. His love interest is the mom from Arrested Development, and she's quite good in it.

Bob Bondurant taught the actors how to drive using '65 Shelby GT350's (he said James Garner had real talent, the others not so much). Dan Gurney was an active F1 Racer at the time and assisted with production.

Also, James Garner's characters personal street car was a brand new '66 Shelby GT350H.

If you can find this movie, I highly recommend it.

Been a while since I've seen either one of them but give Le Mans a try to. Both he and Steve McQueen were both heavily into motorsports.

Comment

The track in Italy with the 45 degree banking was so dangerous F1 stopped racing there, but some of the movie is filmed there. I’ve owned this a long time and miss the old friday night drive in movies on speed channel. This was aired there and lots of other good car movies.

Comment

Working...
      X