Buying a car with a missing title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a car with a missing title

I found an old Torino wagon that I was thinking of snagging cheap but it has no title. I've never bought a car without a title though so I feel a bit leary about the situation.

Has anyone here bought a car without a title before?

How difficult is it to get titled in my name?

What do I need to look out for here?
    1971 Ford Torino - Time to go bigger and better.

2011 F150 Limited - Stock with a 6.2

You could probably get a bonded title but what a pain it is to do so.

How cheap is cheap? For a few benjis...maybe, for a lot of $$, No.

mardyn

Comment

Your best move is to take the vehicle to your local DMV office and have them run the VIN to see if there is any lean or report of being stolen. At that point you can file for a lost title which would cost you about $100 depending on what state you’re in

David

Comment

Also make sure you get a bill of sale from the title owner. If you give me the Vin number I can run a Twix on it and show you where the ownership is now.

David

Comment

Bonded title, easy peasy, done it twice. Call your insurance agent and ask about a surety bond. Buy it, buy the bond ( I think mine was less than $200 each time), go to title office and tadaaa you’re done.

Comment

Doesn't a bonded title take 3-5 years (can't remember which) to convert to a full title?

Comment

You can bet, what ever the route you choose, the DMV and TxDPS will make it as difficult as possible to complete the task.

mardyn

Comment

I unknowingly bought a motorcycle without a title once. Eventually it worked out but it was a little nerve-racking. A "friend" was selling it for his "friend" who still owed money on it. He was running a tote the note/consignment lot and was in the beginning stages of a meth problem.

1/10, would not do again

Comment

Originally posted by BLAKE View Post
                  Doesn't a bonded title take 3-5 years (can't remember which) to convert to a full title?
                  Iirc 3..

Definitely take the vin up to the dmv and make sure it’s clean (not stolen, no liens etc).. there’s one at josey and beltline.. there’s a bonded title companies all through the building too
                  "PSH!!!"

Comment

I'm hoping to get the car for under 1000.

The guy selling it says he can get a new title for $300 but wont give me the VIN now because he thinks I'll get it retitled in my name and steal it or something. Also, he told me it was last titled to a previous owner not to him.

I'm not interested in a bonded title. I would want to get a clean blue because I plan on fixing it up and putting some money in it.

Comment

No title no sale. Keep it like that you will not get into any bs.

Comment

Originally posted by Torinoman View Post

The guy selling it says he can get a new title for $300 but wont give me the VIN now because he thinks I'll get it retitled in my name and steal it or something. Also, he told me it was last titled to a previous owner not to him.

I'm not interested in a bonded title. I would want to get a clean blue because I plan on fixing it up and putting some money in it.
                        This right here could add problems.

David

Comment

He is full of shit unless he knows the original owner. If he does, a copy of their DL and a letter off of the website mailed in will get them a duplicate for 5.00.

If not, then bonded.

Scribing of the VIN

Two written estimates from reputable dealers of value

Off to tax main tax office in Carrolton for first round of paperwork. Then to your insurance company for a surety bond, like 10 percent of the value with a minimum of 150.00 I think. If they will that is.

Back to your tax office and a Brown title is issued.

Three years with no claims against against it, you can exchange it for a blue title. Still transfers like normal even in brown status. You buy the bond as insurance against a claim or something like that.
                          Whos your Daddy?

Comment

That part in red would make me walk away. I bought one car without a title, don't ever want to mess with that again.

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
                              He is full of shit unless he knows the original owner. If he does, a copy of their DL and a letter off of the website mailed in will get them a duplicate for 5.00.

If not, then bonded.

Scribing of the VIN

Two written estimates from reputable dealers of value

Off to tax main tax office in Carrolton for first round of paperwork. Then to your insurance company for a surety bond, like 10 percent of the value with a minimum of 150.00 I think. If they will that is.

Back to your tax office and a Brown title is issued.

Three years with no claims against against it, you can exchange it for a blue title. Still transfers like normal even in brown status. You buy the bond as insurance against a claim or something like that.
                              He said he does know or at least have the name of the previous owner.

What is this letter you mentioned? Like send the DMV a letter with a copy of the PO DL and the DMV will send a new title out? Who do they send the title to, the PO? Or is this just the filing for a lost title service?
                              Last edited by Torinoman; 01-17-2019, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X