TKO/3550 from hell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TKO/3550 from hell

Well the 3550 I had for the mustang had 3+ cracks in the case, I was going to weld it but I kept finding more cracks so I decided to replace it with a new TKO500/600 case, they revised the case and the new case is much stronger.

So I got the transmission together after several other issues, I was sent the wrong shifter bushing so I had to get another one, the 1-2 fork was the old style with the non replaceable pads so I got another 1-2 fork, the shims I had for the main shaft were too thick so I had to hunt down another .016 shim, the case cover was missing 1 dowel, one of the bolts that attaches the tail to the case was improperly machined, the threads were not "sharp", the shifter was missing 1 of the pivot bolts.

After way too damn long I got it all sorted out and put it in the car, filled it with 3qt of synchromesh and a few days later I see a puddle under the trans, the new case is cracked too, WTF Tremec. I put some RTV on the crack and it stopped leaking, I am working with Tony at Astro Performance to get the case switched out, hopefully after the season opener at MSR-H in 2.5 weeks.

Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

I would be beyond pissed....

Comment

X2 after taking so much effort to get that far. So the new case is stronger but comes with casting issues, nice.

Comment

So, replaced that case, new case is around a year old, starting to develop cracks around the top left mounting ear and the dowel pin for the top cover, *sigh*, I have opened a line of communication with someone at Tremec and hopefully can get to the bottom of these issues, it appears that I am not the only one having this problem.
        Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

Working...
        X