5.0/302 motor assembly and install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5.0/302 motor assembly and install

I decided not to re-ring the motor because of my time constraint and because of the inconsistent HP during break in, I will prob put rings in after the first season.

Chasing the threads on the heads, I had them resurfaced at Arlington Automotive Machine

Checking the bottom end and putting in new bearings.

New OEM oil pump, no gasket between the pump and the block (this was news to me, the mellings I have always used have a gasket for this location).

Cleaning the deck with a roloc bristle disc

Timing cover, water pump, romac balancer installed.

Checking how far the pistons are in the hole (.005 diff between the L and R decks)

More chasing fun!
    Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Checking piston to valve clearance

Assembling the heads

Valve seals installed

Lifters installed

Lubing the head washers with arp lube

Sealer on the head bolts

Heads on

Intake on

Rockers installed
    Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

Had to beat on the valve cover a bit to clear 1 rocker

Valve covers installed

Thermostat install

Installing the rear main

Tried to use a maf housing, not quite big enough

So I cut and welded an alum tube to the correct size

Installed!

Comment

Pressure checking the crankcase to find any possible leaks (2 psi)

Don't forget these, freezer to help install!

Installing block plate, flywheel, pilot bearing, clutch, pcv valve, spark plugs

Checking runout on the bellhousing.

Motor Mounts

Dropping the motor and transmission in

Comment

Why did you paint the heads?

Comment

Originally posted by snacksnack View Post
            Why did you paint the heads?
            They just got a little left over from painting the headers, they are not painted "proper"

Comment

I spy an explorer cam sensor and maybe crank sensor also. What the heck? Are you going EDIS? Want to sell/trade the cam sensor? I am a player if you are. I need one for my Holley Dominator.

Great write up documentary.
              Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

I like the pressure check of the crankcase too. Nice touch to make sure you got it all buttoned up right.

Comment

Originally posted by kbscobravert View Post
                  I spy an explorer cam sensor and maybe crank sensor also. What the heck? Are you going EDIS? Want to sell/trade the cam sensor? I am a player if you are. I need one for my Holley Dominator.

Great write up documentary.
                  Im going to bet on it being something convenient to keep shit from falling down the hole and the oil pump drive in place.
                  "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron View Post
                    Im going to bet on it being something convenient to keep shit from falling down the hole and the oil pump drive in place.
                    I will trade him a blue paper towel an $20 for his hole plug.

Comment

LOL they are in all the 302 exploerers, and cheap for a brand new one.

RockAuto ships auto parts and body parts from over 300 manufacturers to customers' doors worldwide, all at warehouse prices. Easy to use parts catalog.
                      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron View Post
                        LOL they are in all the 302 exploerers, and cheap for a brand new one.
                        http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...parttype,10722
                        Bookmarked. Thanks.

Comment

you're not worried about the rings reseating ? i would be.
                          Vortex rear stand $75
                          8.8 410s. $50

**SKAGG NASTY**
                          My goal in life is to not arrive at the grave in a well preserved body.
                          but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy shit!!!.. what a ride!"

1990 Foxbody GT for that ass
                          11 4 door
                          13 FX2 White 5.0

Comment

Originally posted by Mach1 View Post
                            I
                            New OEM oil pump, no gasket between the pump and the block (this was news to me, the mellings I have always used have a gasket for this location).

I used a manilla folder for gasket when I dropped my pump to fix the pump shaft last year. There was a gasket there, I replaced with a gasket. Manila folder is fine for such. Hell, I used them in the Marines for blower gaskets on Detroits.

Comment

That's exactly what I was using it for, dist is in there now, $20 sounds good if you want it. My hole was a little dirty so there is some stuff on my plug, hope you don't mind!

Comment

Working...
                              X