What suppressor to buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What suppressor to buy

Finally at the point where I can get a suppressor, my knowledge on this is nil. I think I need a $200 tax stamp which is taking 9 months to get, probably should get that going now, do I need to know which one I want before I move forward with the stamp?

Also, I am thinking about building a short barrel AR + suppressor, do I need a SBR for this as well even if the length is legal with the suppressor? Is there a suppressor that will work well with .22, 5.56, 9mm and I can swap it around?
    Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Cans used with rimfires tend to lead up so I never use anything but a dedicated Rimfire suppressor on a Rimfire gun. Most suppressors for rimfires can be disassembled to clean whereas most other suppressors are sealed units. The most fun you will have with a suppressor is one for a rimfire so do yourself a favor and order a couple of them. When you're shopping for a Rimfire suppressor do not consider one that has anything made out of aluminum in it.

Unless you permanently attach the suppressor to the rifle you will have to get a stamp for an SBR if you intend on keeping a real rifle with a short barrel. I have a Spike's Tactical SBR that has an integrated suppressor but it required two tax stamps. That was kind of a pain in the butt and aggravating in that I cannot put that suppressor/upper combo onto another lower. The rifle suppressor combo itself was about 2,300 with state sales tax. Last I looked Ray's Hardware in Dallas keeps them in stock and on NFA stuff Rays is reasonably priced.

I typically run a 30 cal or a 338 Cal can on just about every Centerfire rifle that I own even if it's an AR chambered in 5.56mm. A 18" 5.56mm AR with a thunderbeast 338 Ultra it's pretty damn quiet.

I personally do not like quick attach suppressors because I've had the attachment methods wear out on a few models. Your best bet is a direct thread suppressor, or an adapter that is not prone to wear. Ones with coarse threads and a tapered seat seem to have the longest lifespan.
    Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Yes, you have to know which suppressor you're buying before you start the process.

Here's how it works:

1. you choose your suppressor
      2. you pay for the $200 tax stamp and the suppressor
      3. the dealer receives the suppressor and keeps it in his possession (suppressor jail) until the government approves your paperwork - this is the long lead time.

You can go fondle your suppressor any time you want, but you can't leave with it. The dealer has to hold it until the paperwork is done.

Talk to musbrad2 on here! I ordered a Yankee Hill Nitro 30 (handles a variety of different caliber) through him - he's handling everything. The wait when I started the process was around 6 months but I'm going the individual route. You don't need a trust anymore unless you want multiple people involved.

I will never loan my suppressor to anyone so I went the easier route. Same $200 tax stamp, simpler process with a shorter lead time was my understanding.

Be wary of using a non-rimfire suppressor with a rimfire rifle. Rimfire runs considerably dirtier and it cakes the inside of the suppressor. Rimfire suppressors can be disassembled and cleaned for that very reason. Non-rimfire cannot for the most part.
      Last edited by TX_92_Notch; 02-27-2019, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Good info guys, thank you!! IIRC you have to carry the stamp everywhere that you have the compressor, is that also the case with a trust?
        Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

Originally posted by Mach1 View Post
          Good info guys, thank you!! IIRC you have to carry the stamp everywhere that you have the compressor, is that also the case with a trust?
          Yes, you have to keep a copy of the trust with younin stat case and a copy of the stamp. I’ll message you my cell if you have any questions man.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Mach1 View Post
            It's my understanding you have to have a copy with it at all times.

Comment

I know it hurts, buy at least 2!

One for the 22 and the other and the SBR and and
              GOD I love it!

More has to be better!

Comment

go to a place with a silencershop kiosk and make life easy. digital fingerprints that stay on record for 2 years and saves your passport photos too.

also, Silencershop verifies the details on the form4 and handles all interaction with the ATF, all for the low cost of like 5 dollars.

Comment

Really you don’t have to keep a copy of anything with you. Is it best practice? Probably.

I don’t carry anything with me most of the time.

Comment

I always carry copies of the original stamp with me, but I don't carry a copy of the trust.

In approximately 13 years or so of owning NFA items, I've never been asked for paperwork by a range. Shootsmart locations are very cool with NFA stuff. I think they pretty much assume you wouldn't bring illegally equipped/modified weapons to a public gun range to shoot.

Now if a LEO finds you out in West Texas on public land doing some target practice...

Comment

Originally posted by 32vfromhell View Post
                      go to a place with a silencershop kiosk and make life easy. digital fingerprints that stay on record for 2 years and saves your passport photos too.

also, Silencershop verifies the details on the form4 and handles all interaction with the ATF, all for the low cost of like 5 dollars.
                      I am going to have to look that up. I want to silence my Converted Glock thats 22LR as a start. My buddy had a Glock 21 with a suppressor on it. Even in .45 cal that dude was quiet.
                      Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Soap just posted a picture of one of the kiosks in the other thread.

Silencershop also has a map of all dealers that have it , too.

Comment

My $.02, take it for what it's worth.

If you're going to do a build, I would buy all of the parts except for the stock, save yourself some money and don't get a brace. Depending on what other guns you have, and how risk averse you are, you may want to hold off on buying a stock until a stamp has been approved. Theoretically, if you have a stock and a SBR, you could get charged with constructive intent, it's happened to a couple of people. So, do the build, efile the Form 1 to make it an SBR. Efiled Form 1's are taking around 3-6 weeks to get turned around. Form 4's for suppressors are taking right at 11 months now, Form 4's that were applied for around mid to late April 2018 are coming back now. Of note, during the govt shutdown, there is apparently a sizable backlog now. It looks like they are expecting times to go back up to 18 months to catch up.

Comment

Also, something to think about. If you purchase a suppressor through a Silencer Shop kiosk that happens to be at a gun range, you can have "conjugal visits" while you're waiting for the Form 4 to clear, if the range is cool with it. You buy the suppressor at the shop (or through Silencer shop and they ship it to the dealer), a Form 3 is filed to transfer it, and around a month later it should be there and good to go. Apparently this is squared away, and you're allowed to shoot it there so long as it stays at that address. ETTS gun range down in Waxahachie is apparently pitching this to people.

Comment

Originally posted by GE View Post
                              Also, something to think about. If you purchase a suppressor through a Silencer Shop kiosk that happens to be at a gun range, you can have "conjugal visits" while you're waiting for the Form 4 to clear, if the range is cool with it. You buy the suppressor at the shop (or through Silencer shop and they ship it to the dealer), a Form 3 is filed to transfer it, and around a month later it should be there and good to go. Apparently this is squared away, and you're allowed to shoot it there so long as it stays at that address. ETTS gun range down in Waxahachie is apparently pitching this to people.
                              Eagle Gun Range in Lewisville does or used to do this too. They also have machine guns you can rent
                              Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                              HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Working...
                              X