Fighting weeds with indoor/outdoor dogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fighting weeds with indoor/outdoor dogs

My backyard is a MESS. Never mind the fact that it still doesn't drain properly, it is over run with weeds. Winter weeds, spring weeds, summer weeds, whatever. I had a nice stand of bermuda working but it may get choked out by all of the weeds.

My concern with most of the product I have to put down is that we have inside dogs that use the backyard and we now have an 8 month old. I don't want to put down anything that the dogs may bring in on their feet and could hurt the kiddo.

Suggestions? Spray/apply at night before bed?
    Originally posted by Leah
    Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Weeds you got now likely needed to be treated with a pre-emergent last fall. Once it warms up, all that burns off pretty fast. At this point, you might just focus on lawn health throughout the upcoming growing season, i.e. watering deeply and scheduling it with avoiding fungus in mind. Building a healthy lawn is going to be your best defense against weeds in the future. Research your grass type and treatments now and make a plan for treating. I learned so much from Neil Sperry. But, if you are more inclined to the organic ways, The Texas Dirt Doctor, Howard Garrett.

Comment

Most of the products you buy are general use , which basically means very mild , once product dries it will be safe to get on ( always follow label directions), always remember though that anytime it's wet , (until it is watered in thoroughly) it can be tracked in.

Comment

I think there's still time to do a pre emergent.. that's where I'd start ����
        Maybe a week and feed that's safe for Bermuda.. I've had good luck mowing on a higher setting to get my Bermuda to come in thicker and crowd out weeds
        Most of that stuff has to be watered in really good though.. maybe if you were able to get it all the way soaked in the dirt before letting them back out.. not 100%
        "PSH!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
          I think there's still time to do a pre emergent.. that's where I'd start 👍🏻
          Maybe a week and feed that's safe for Bermuda.. I've had good luck mowing on a higher setting to get my Bermuda to come in thicker and crowd out weeds
          And DON'T mulch, especially if you have active weed growth.

Comment

Originally posted by zemog View Post
            Most of the products you buy are general use , which basically means very mild , once product dries it will be safe to get on ( always follow label directions), always remember though that anytime it's wet , (until it is watered in thoroughly) it can be tracked in.
            Im using dimension from Site1 and its working great on crabgrass but this year I got a ton of dandelions. Any suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
              And DON'T mulch, especially if you have active weed growth.
              I've never heard of this, and am curiousn What's the harm in mulching where weeds are concerned?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Fastback View Post
                I've never heard of this, and am curiousn What's the harm in mulching where weeds are concerned?

You're effectively spreading the seeds from the weeds with stuff like Dalis grass or any other weed that makes the seed pods.

Comment

Originally posted by Fastback View Post

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
                  You're effectively spreading the seeds from the weeds with stuff like Dalis grass or any other weed that makes the seed pods.
                  I take it you are referring to mowing? I use my bagging attachment and empty frequently

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
                  Originally posted by Leah
                  Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Yeah, it helps reduce the spread of seed bearing weeds.

Comment

Right on. I always mowed before things went to seed so I wasn't considering that fact. I was thinking mulching and plant roots. Thanks for the call, Earth.

Comment

You may not see the seeds, despite you frequent mowing, but if the weeds are spreading faster than you think they would organically, here's your sign.

Comment

put down a pre emergent and water it in properly and the seeds will not matter, we haven't bagged a lawn in 22 years.

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
                            Im using dimension from Site1 and its working great on crabgrass but this year I got a ton of dandelions. Any suggestions?
                            you must have gone down too late to catch them , did you treat in September/October and again in January/February?? going to have to spray a post emergent is the only way.

Comment

Working...
                            X